Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you push the button?

Options
  • 16-12-2010 10:06pm

The tl;dr version - would you push a button that could potentially kill someone because someone in an authoritarian position told you so?

Some of you may have heard of the Milgram experiment, but for those of you who haven't - it was an experiment of obedience that was carried out in the 60's. The basis is this - two strangers would meet in the waiting room first. They were given the titles of "teacher" and "learner". The teacher would be placed in a room, with the scientist conducting the experiment behind them, and the learner would be in a different room. They could hear but not see each other.

The teacher would ask the learner a question and if the learner got it wrong, they would be shocked in 15volt increments for each wrong answer. Only there would be no electric shock and the learner was an actor, yet the teacher did not know this. Eventually they would reach what the teacher thought was 450volts, with the scientist behind them telling them to.

It was found that 65% of people that took part were willing to give an electric shock to a stranger that could potentially kill them (in one instance, a learner mentioned having a heart condition) because someone in authority told them so.

So, would you?

For further viewing - here is the original video
    Video one (starts properly at the 9:29-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2PGnHHnRMk

Would you? 17 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    100%
    StokolanKnifeWRENCHbikosdanseoMahatma coatRonin247MajorMaxBigginsKimono-GirlHande hoche!coolperson05G_Rscarymoon1Angronalwaysadubjuggeryeppydeppy 17 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

No
    Depends on how snazzy the uniform of the authoritarian figure is.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Probably, just for the craic like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yes, and so would you, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Am I receiving a large salary from this figure of authority?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I would if it led to hilarious results like these.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Depends on how snazzy the uniform of the authoritarian figure is.

This or how fancy the button.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

No I wouldn't however if it was someone who commited a serious crime (e.g murder, rape) to someone especially my family or friends I think I would.

If they had a terminal illness and was suffering greatly and wanted to die then maybe I would as well, if it was a loved one it would be a very tough decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

No
    Too many variables, however I think in a lot of situations I would so I voted yes.

The Shtig wrote: »
    No I wouldn't however if it was someone who commited a serious crime (e.g murder, rape) to someone especially my family or friends I think I would.

If they had a terminal illness and was suffering greatly and wanted to die then maybe I would as well, if it was a loved one it would be a very tough decision.

That's not the purpose though. You know nothing of the other person and have never met them before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSiMM_GIiyA This guy is actually quite creepy - from about 1:90 onwards he protests but still shocks the other person, even giving him 450volts twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Once its a not a priest on a plane!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No
    Yes, that's how I became a moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

No
    I'm very nosy-so i'd be dying to see what happens-so yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Isn't science fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭The Shtig

That's not the purpose though. You know nothing of the other person and have never met them before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSiMM_GIiyA This guy is actually quite creepy - from about 1:90 onwards he protests but still shocks the other person, even giving him 450volts twice.

Oh sorry, I definately wouldn't my conscience would drive me insane especailly thinking it could be a child or a father or mother.

That video is very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

No
    Think I would probably need very little encouragement.

There's a lot of messed up people in AH evidently :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

No because I've always had a problem taking orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

I would run in and hit the button before being told to, make a good first impression on our new Overlord's!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

No
    Well in that Situation then YES, YES YES YES :D:D

Basicly there is someone with the authority to Sanction you Torturing and possibly Murdering another Human being.

If you can Kill the person in the other room without fear of Legal ramifications then I'm all on for it, hell I'd quit my dayjob to comit more time to it.

Altho I'd probably get bored with not being able to see them so I'd probably ask to shake things up a bit, maybe do someone with a knife, or re enact that scene from the Killing Fields to See how long it really takes to kill someone with a blue plastic Bag, ya know in keeping witht teh initial 'Scientific' nature of the study

• Advertisement

Only if I was wearing a similar uniform but with lass fancy bits. Important thing being the little flag on the shoulder matching the authoritarian guy's little flag on the shoulder.

Replace "button" with "trigger" and it becomes target practice. Come get some yeh commie bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

This was in a Darren Brown yoke about robbing a security van. It was fascinating really. Was slightly disturbing to see how willing some people were to stick 300 volts or something through someone's body.

That said, if I knew and hated the person in the waiting room...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

No - I've never been one to blindly obey anyone. I'd make my own conclusion on whether the button needed pressing or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭HUNK

Well it depends...I mean, how BIG of a button are we talkin' about here.
    And is it red. I like the colour red.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

derren browne did this test in one of his shows. it was class. i dont know if i would press the button because the point of the test is that you dont know what the buttons are doing but everytime you press one, you hear a scream. so until i was there i do not know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

FatherLen wrote: »
    derren browne did this test in one of his shows. it was class. i dont know if i would press the button because the point of the test is that you dont know what the buttons are doing but everytime you press one, you hear a scream. so until i was there i do not know.
    no, the point of the test would be to find out how easily swayed you are by a figure of authority! the people being shocked are actors...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

No way, man. Don't conform, man. It's the man wanting you to do what the man says, man. Man man man man man, man. FIGHT THE POWER.

But really, no. I have no desire to cause another human being pain, no matter what anyone in 'authority' says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

No
    well if that person in authority was going to kill me unless I did it then yes id pull the trigger. But if I just got a slap on the wrist for not pulling the trigger then no I wouldnt do it. Depends on the consequences for not doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Well in that Situation then YES, YES YES YES :D:D

Basicly there is someone with the authority to Sanction you Torturing and possibly Murdering another Human being.

If you can Kill the person in the other room without fear of Legal ramifications then I'm all on for it, hell I'd quit my dayjob to comit more time to it.

Altho I'd probably get bored with not being able to see them so I'd probably ask to shake things up a bit, maybe do someone with a knife, or re enact that scene from the Killing Fields to See how long it really takes to kill someone with a blue plastic Bag, ya know in keeping witht teh initial 'Scientific' nature of the study

You need help

Advertisement