Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YLOD PS3

Options
  • 16-12-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Hi all,
    have an old launch day PS3 just got the Yellow Light of Death playing Black Ops yesterday.
    I'm happy it has lasted nearly 4 years but what are my options now.

Repair , a new one or contact sony?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Are you me?? Mine died two days ago, during black ops too. Damn yellow light of death:(. I did the repair that was on youtube but have had no luck with it. My disc got stuck but i was able to get inot the hard drive and open the CD drive to get the game out.
    I too would like to know if it is worth while contacting Sony.
    At the moment im thinking of flogging it for parts, getting a small but of money and then buying a slim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 danielmoran

Black ops seems to be causing a lot of problems.
    I've read a few posts where it has caused crashes and deleted memory.
    best bet is to buy a new one for the increased performance

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

That's exactly what I'm thinking. To get the slim, maybe after christmas there will be some better deals than now.
    How exactly did you get the disc out? My black ops is still stuck in it :(

I'm guessing it's not worth the repair for about €100 or so, as it will probably just happen again.

How much are you playing on selling it on for out of curiosity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Having just fixed my own ps3 which had the ylod I would suggest you give it a go yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I'm happy it has lasted nearly 4 years

That attitude baffles me to be honest. The reliability of this generation of consoles is a holy disgrace to be honest, still, it keeps the dollars rolling in I guess.

• Advertisement

Having just fixed my own ps3 which had the ylod I would suggest you give it a go yourself.

How did you go about doing it? I read stuff about heat guns etc.
    EnterNow wrote: »
    That attitude baffles me to be honest. The reliability of this generation of consoles is a holy disgrace to be honest, still, it keeps the dollars rolling in I guess.

I completely agree with you but I was expecting this to happen at least two years ago. Of course, I think it's a disgrace that they don't have a good lifespan whatsoever, but I can't change that and apparently I'm lucky with what I got out of it. Things seem to be made to break these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I and many others were rather hoping you would furnish us with the source you used to fix your PS3 rather than just telling us it can be done. Personally I really don't have the money to go out and buy a slim so I'll take any suggestions on board.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I completely agree with you but I was expecting this to happen at least two years ago. Of course, I think it's a disgrace that they don't have a good lifespan whatsoever, but I can't change that and apparently I'm lucky with what I got out of it. Things seem to be made to break these days.

People can help change it if they go the Small claims court and fight for their rights. Look at what happened with Microsoft and the XBox.

A fair point :)

Basically what I did was find a teardown for the PS3 and follow that to disassemble it. This is the one I used -> PS3 60gig Teardown. It didn't totally match my machine, for example the card readers aren't mounted on the cover.

There are a few things you'll need a good set of screwdrivers, heatgun, thermal compound and to clean the dies some isopropyl or similar cleaning fluid. you should be able to get the later two in Maplins or other store that does PC components.

The disassembly and reassembly is really no different to a build your own PC, take pictures as you take the parts off and separate the screws into separate piles.

Once you get down to step 36 where the motherboard is removed from its housing its time to clean both the cell processor and the graphics processor on the board and the pads on the heatsink using your alcohol. Remove all the old compound.

Next comes the fun part the heat gun, there are numerous videos on this for graphics cards, the PS3 is no different. Using a lower setting on the gun gently heat the board, using swirling motions. you're not looking to make it hot just so its not cold. Do that both sides.

Now its time to concentrate on the two centre processors, at this point make sure you have the board level and secure and the processor pads facing upwards. Turn the gun up to a higher level I had mine just over 500 degrees and heat the dies pad. I did about three minutes between them alternating between them, again using a circle motion.

Then leave the board to cool down, do not touch it give it a good twenty minutes, remember you've just essentially liquefied some of the solder. moving it would be very very bad.

Then its back to reversing the process you used to disassemble it.

Remember to put fresh thermal compound on, you're looking for a thin film of it. Again tons of stuff on the web showing this for PC processors.

As to how long you'll get out of your machine, your guess is as good as mine, but you should hopefully get enough to get your data and sure everything after that is a plus which brings you into the sales :)

Update, one thing step 22 is slightly wrong. Do not remove the cable the way they show. The clip on the green pcb will unclip if you gently lever the dark grey section upwards from the edge. the same is true for all the other ribbon cables, you can then remove the unsecured ribbon.

whiterebel wrote: »
    People can help change it if they go the Small claims court and fight for their rights. Look at what happened with Microsoft and the XBox.

I haven't heard anybody having any success with that. But I will surely look into it if the machine is completely kaput.
    A fair point :)

Basically what I did was find a teardown for the PS3 and follow that to disassemble it. This is the one I used -> PS3 60gig Teardown. It didn't totally match my machine, for example the card readers aren't mounted on the cover.

There are a few things you'll need a good set of screwdrivers, heatgun, thermal compound and to clean the dies some isopropyl or similar cleaning fluid. you should be able to get the later two in Maplins or other store that does PC components.

The disassembly and reassembly is really no different to a build your own PC, take pictures as you take the parts off and separate the screws into separate piles.

Once you get down to step 36 where the motherboard is removed from its housing its time to clean both the cell processor and the graphics processor on the board and the pads on the heatsink using your alcohol. Remove all the old compound.

Next comes the fun part the heat gun, there are numerous videos on this for graphics cards, the PS3 is no different. Using a lower setting on the gun gently heat the board, using swirling motions. you're not looking to make it hot just so its not cold. Do that both sides.

Now its time to concentrate on the two centre processors, at this point make sure you have the board level and secure and the processor pads facing upwards. Turn the gun up to a higher level I had mine just over 500 degrees and heat the dies pad. I did about three minutes between them alternating between them, again using a circle motion.

Then leave the board to cool down, do not touch it give it a good twenty minutes, remember you've just essentially liquefied some of the solder. moving it would be very very bad.

Then its back to reversing the process you used to disassemble it.

Remember to put fresh thermal compound on, you're looking for a thin film of it. Again tons of stuff on the web showing this for PC processors.

As to how long you'll get out of your machine, your guess is as good as mine, but you should hopefully get enough to get your data and sure everything after that is a plus which brings you into the sales :)

Update, one thing step 22 is slightly wrong. Do not remove the cable the way they show. The clip on the green pcb will unclip if you gently lever the dark grey section upwards from the edge. the same is true for all the other ribbon cables, you can then remove the unsecured ribbon.

Thanks so much for that. Will give it a go today or tomorrow hopefully:)

• Advertisement

Thanks so much for that. Will give it a go today or tomorrow hopefully:)

No worries, tell us how you get on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I haven't heard anybody having any success with that. But I will surely look into it if the machine is completely kaput.

Theres a huge thread on here about with some success already i.e. Smyths ordered to hand over brand new slims.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Here's a thread about some sucesses by going to the small claims court: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795516

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Sam Fisher

If you contact Sony, they will ask you to forward €160(not sure has this been changed) for a refurbished console. The other pain in the a** is that you would lose everything on the hard-drive. Their number is 0818365065 or try their Dublin office number 01 7073840. Oh, if you want to <Mod edit: send them a letter> they are based 1st Floor, 110 Amiens Street, Dublin 1

No worries, tell us how you get on.

Only got around to doing your instructions the other day.

At first it was still YLOD but I left it overnight and next morning it worked :)

I got my Black Ops out and turned it off... I went to see if it still worked and unfortunately its back to the YLOD so thanks for getting my game out at least :)

F1ngers wrote: »
    Here's a thread about some sucesses by going to the small claims court: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055795516

I will have a read through that soon.
    I'm trying to decide what to do and will over the next few days.
    I'm not sure because I have opened it up and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭baldymac

well my fat 1 got the YLOD yesterday, around 4.45, i was playing a game
    and it just froooze on the tv ..turned off the PS an started it again, an seen the yellow light. so its fecked, game still in there any sugg how to get it out, im willing to use a hammer,

well the good news is i bought a new slim 320gb at 5.45

happy days

for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hi all,
    have an old launch day PS3 just got the Yellow Light of Death playing Black Ops yesterday.
    I'm happy it has lasted nearly 4 years but what are my options now.

Repair , a new one or contact sony?
    Are you me?? Mine died two days ago, during black ops too. Damn yellow light of death:(. I did the repair that was on youtube but have had no luck with it. My disc got stuck but i was able to get inot the hard drive and open the CD drive to get the game out.
    I too would like to know if it is worth while contacting Sony.
    At the moment im thinking of flogging it for parts, getting a small but of money and then buying a slim.

Snap, mine went on 28th December, launch day PS3, I was watching BBC iPlayer, paused it, went out to deal with the washing machine, came back and saw the red light flashing ominously. Started it again, saw the yellow light and my heart sank.

I managed to get my (Drake Uncharted (The first one)) disc out by starting the machine and hitting eject instantly :)

Bought a new slim model (160GB) the same day :D
    EnterNow wrote: »

Yep, it's an absolute shambles and disgrace, however I'm surprised mine lasted as long too. Don't forget that a lot of companies employ materials scientists whose sole job it is to ensure that certain components don't last too long. That's not just in the console industry either. If a part goes too soon it might have to be fixed under warranty, if it goes too soon after the warranty expires the customer feels cheated and complains online but if it seems like you got a decent lifespan from it then you'll bend over and buy another one...like I did :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ryansrock

Hi,
    I got YLOD of death a couple of weeks ago and I went down to this place in Bray who fixed it for €50 and gave me a 3 months warranty. It took them a week to fix the console, which I thought was fairly decent.
    Here's the website

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭baldymac

was playing BO it was only game i played over xmas. then yesterday i played a diff game for about hour, an it crashed thats when i go ylod,
    was it cause i was playing that game or if i was playin BO still it would still of crashed no matter what. thank god it wasnt BO.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure because I have opened it up and all that.

I'm no expert, but since you opened the console they could claim that you introduced the fault.
    You have no way of proving otherwise.
    I think you're chances of winning by going through the courts are nil.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Just fixed YLOD on a 60g fat :D It took me 5 hrs
    Sony wanted €170 for a refurbished model !!!
    I followed this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU hopefully it will last.

Just fixed YLOD on a 60g fat :D It took me 5 hrs.
    hopefully it will last.

Nice job, but from what I've read it doesn't usually last.
    Back up regularly, just in case.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Nice job, but from what I've read it doesn't usually last.
    Back up regularly, just in case.
    Yeah you're buying time, but that said I've had no issues with mine since I did the reflow and its run by the nipper pretty much continuously. And sure if it goes again it'll just give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,315 ✭✭✭✭noodler

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Snap, mine went on 28th December, launch day PS3, I was watching BBC iPlayer, paused it, went out to deal with the washing machine, came back and saw the red light flashing ominously. Started it again, saw the yellow light and my heart sank.

I managed to get my (Drake Uncharted (The first one)) disc out by starting the machine and hitting eject instantly :)

Bought a new slim model (160GB) the same day :D

On an unrelated note, some one with more technical expertise could probably inform better here but why have a PS3 disc in the machine if you are on iPlayer? I mean, surely that would require some degree of laser acticvity (even if minimal) or even a degree of extra heat etc?

Not a big deal or anything.

Just fixed YLOD on a 60g fat It took me 5 hrs
    Sony wanted €170 for a refurbished model !!!
    I followed this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_Ic1_TY-GU hopefully it will last.
    Yesterday 21:18

AHHHH !

Last night I just turned the machine on, registered the controller but did not check the disc drive.
    When I had the machine dismantled I took the blu ray drive apart to remove the disc that was stuck inside.
    Now it won't read any discs, it will accept, eject and spin the disc but it won't play.

Any ideas ?
    Thanks

noodler wrote: »
    On an unrelated note, some one with more technical expertise could probably inform better here but why have a PS3 disc in the machine if you are on iPlayer? I mean, surely that would require some degree of laser acticvity (even if minimal) or even a degree of extra heat etc?

Not a big deal or anything.
    The iPlayer should not involve ANY laser activity, iPlayer is accessed through the PS3 browser, not the Blu-Ray drive. The disc was in the machine but I wasn't using it. I always leave my discs in the machine so that the next time I want to play my 'game of the moment', I can just click on it straight away. Do you mean that the disc would be accessed occasionally by the PS3 even though it wasn't in use? Why?

(just curious) :)

AHHHH !

Last night I just turned the machine on, registered the controller but did not check the disc drive.
    When I had the machine dismantled I took the blu ray drive apart to remove the disc that was stuck inside.
    Now it won't read any discs, it will accept, eject and spin the disc but it won't play.

Any ideas ?
    Thanks
    Oh dear! Ouch! Sounds like you moved the laser out of alignment when you dismantled the drive. :(

Oh dear! Ouch! Sounds like you moved the laser out of alignment when you dismantled the drive.

Is there any fix for this :confused:
    Thanks

Is there any fix for this :confused:
    Thanks

I'm in work so haven't watched this video and can't vouch for it but it might be worth looking at:

There's other related videos in the sidebar on the youtube page if you watch the video there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

You could try to take it apart and make sure the blu ray connection is fitted properly on both ends, I assume you did not take the drive apart so it may be easier than you think to fix.

I have fixed a few of them over the last 6 months and they haven't died yet (fingers crossed).

I'm based in Waterford and I charge 50 if anyone is interested.

Advertisement