Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion under the spotlight in the European Court of Human Rights

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Abortions for some, miniature Irish flags for everyone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

This thread should be aborted... quickly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

curlzy wrote: »
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20101216/tuk-abortion-laws-put-under-spotlight-e1cd776.html

I know this only relates to particular cases but I don't think it goes far enough. Personally I think it should be up to each individual and that society and the government should have no right to stop a woman getting an abortion. What do you think?

Didnt we have a referendum on this issue?

The government didnt decide this it was decided by an electoral majority in Ireland.

By the way isnt killing an unborn a viloation of Human rights. Or is that different somehow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

............. What do you think?

...that this thread will end badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Personally I think it should be up to each individual and that society and the government should have no right to stop a woman getting an abortion. What do you think?

Personally I disagree. Secondly I'd wonder what kind of women who has already had kids taken into care due to an 'inability to cope' (a) gets pregnant again and (b) develops the ability to take a case as far as the ECtHR in Strasbourg. Perhaps she should have put the same effort into looking after her offspring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

orourkeda wrote: »

The government didnt decide this it was decided by an electoral majority in Ireland

That was held in 1983, I think times and people's opinions may have changed since then. There was another referendum more recently but that was just specifically relating to abortion where lack of one may cause endangerment to the life of the mother.

By the way isnt killing an unborn a viloation of Human rights. Or is that different somehow?

Resistence.... failing...... must... not..... respond........

The doctor gives you your human rights along with a smack to kick-start you. :pac:

We did indeed. And - as far as I know - no government has enacted the relevant legislation allowing for abortion in the event the womans life is threatened, hence the current court case.

That was held in 1983, I think times and people's opinions may have changed since then. There was another referendum more recently but that was just specifically relating to abortion where lack of one may cause endangerment to the life of the mother.

It may have been 1983 and I understand times change but the insinuation made that the government is somehow calling the shots on this issue strictly speaking isn't true.

Is there a particular reason that they are not enacting current legislation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

abortions for everyone....boo!
    abortions for none..........boo!

cant win.

should be allowed though, but I'd fell sorry for nike and adidas, who buy their tracksuits if all the knacks were havin abortions?

prinz wrote: »
    Personally I disagree. Secondly I'd wonder what kind of women who has already had kids taken into care due to an 'inability to cope' (a) gets pregnant again and (b) develops the ability to take a case as far as the ECtHR in Strasbourg. Perhaps she should have put the same effort into looking after her offspring.

Good man, throw some muck at the woman. That'll cut to the core issues.

The fact is that theres a supreme court ruling declaring that abortion is permitted in limited circumstances, and no administration has had the balls to enact the correct legislation. As a result, we have yet another avoidable court case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

Well I firmly believe that the baby has a right to life. If you don’t want to keep a baby there are plenty of loving couples out there dying to have children that cannot. I myself was born to a single mother in 1980, if abortion had been socially acceptable back then I may not have been here. Yes it is hard being pregnant for 9 months. I have a daughter myself. But why not put yourself out for nine months and give the baby a life through adoption if you do not want it. I agree in extreme medical cases were the mother’s life is endangered that abortion should be allowed. But it should not be allowed for women who find themselves inconveniently pregnant ‘and emotionally not able’ that is a cop out. Get up and get over it and if you cannot cope with a baby give another family a chance at happiness. My sister is currently undergoing fertility treatment for blocked tubes and the heartbreak she has endured for years trying to conceive breaks my heart. She would be a wonderful mother . I am a mother, when I held my baby in my arms the thought of anyone or anything harming her made me physically ill. I do not believe that the aborted baby does not feel the pain of dying. You can all dress it up how you like with medical jargon but can you all be sure that tiny baby slumbering in its mother’s womb does not feel the pain of being extracted .

Nodin wrote: »
    We did indeed. And - as far as I know - no government has enacted the relevant legislation allowing for abortion in the event the womans life is threatened, hence the current court case.

The fact that a womans health may be at risk during childbirth is one issue.

What about women who fall pregnant through irresponsibility or carelessness. Would they be entitled to the same rights and where do we draw the line?

should be allowed though, but I'd fell sorry for nike

I dunno, that "swoosh" looks like it would do a sweet job inside a "Nike Home Abortion Kit"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,473 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

should be allowed though, but I'd fell sorry for nike and adidas, who buy their tracksuits if all the knacks were havin abortions?

if they had any marketing sense they'd do a "bring your abortion receipt and get half price on adult track suits" offer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I've an old wire coat hanger here somewhere... form a cue you pregnant hussies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

*Gets popsorn*

These threads are normally good for a laugh.
    I like to imagine just how angry some people get about this topic.
    :D

In before Jackass

Good man, throw some muck at the woman. That'll cut to the core issues..

Did I say anything that wasn't in the article linked to? Should we ignore the fact that it's possible this woman is just a pawn?

The fact that a womans health may be at risk during childbirth is one issue
    What about women who fall pregnant through irresponsibility or carelessness. Would they be entitled to the same rights and where do we draw the line?

Well as I am pro-choice, I don't actually see the need for a line.

• Advertisement

if they had any marketing sense they'd do a "bring your abortion receipt and get half price on adult track suits" offer.

Or bring your baby and get two for the price of one

prinz wrote: »
    Did I say anything that wasn't in the article linked to? Should we ignore the fact that it's possible this woman is just a pawn?

So if I took a court case on behalf of the mentally disabled being abused in state funded homes, or on behalf of children in state institutions, they would be my 'pawns'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Imagine the clinic names
    birth + ctrl + z and foetus away would be good.

If all for infanticide but before we get abortion shouldn't make the morning after pill non prescription?

I've an old wire coat hanger here somewhere... form a cue you pregnant hussies!

I'll open up next to you with a big step ladder, for the bungalow bound hanger-adverse.

Well as I am pro-choice, I don't actually see the need for a line.

Theres probably no real of knowing this but what would the ratio be between pregnancies that are likely to result in complications that may kill the mother and pregnancies that were caused that the mother just couldnt be arsed with.

So if I took a court case on behalf of the mentally disabled being abused in state funded homes, or on behalf of children in state institutions, they would be my 'pawns'?

Are you comparing an adult with the mentally disabled and children? Slight difference there.

Perhaps you should also take a court case of behalf of mother who got pregnant as a result of a drunken one night stand and is looking for an easy way out.

Theres probably no real of knowing this but what would the ratio be between pregnancies that are likely to result in complications that may kill the mother and pregnancies that were caused that the mother just couldnt be arsed with.

Fuck knows, tbh. Women who admit to not being arsed would be rarer than langers on cows....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The fact that a womans health may be at risk during childbirth is one issue.

Yeah, perfect candidates for motherhood.
    Perhaps you should also take a court case of behalf of mother who got pregnant as a result of a drunken one night stand and is looking for an easy way out.
    That's right, punish those irresponsible women by making them have a child.

• Advertisement

Fuck knows, tbh. Women who admit to not being arsed would be rarer than langers on cows....

Women dont have regrets about getting pregnant in your world.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement