Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprained ankle and I'm a bridesmaid on Saturday :(

Options
  • 15-12-2010 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I've managed to really badly sprain my ankle today and I'm a bridesmaid this Saturday. I told the bride but didn't tell her how bad it is - I literally can't walk. I'm also currently abroad and have to fly tomorrow - I need special assistance to get to the gate.

Anyone have any tips on how to help a sprain heal very quickly?? I've applied ice this evening and have kept the foot elevated but it's still agony :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Getting there

I dont think this should be a huge problem on the day. I mean you can lean on a crutch during the ceremony and meal and lose it for the photos where there will be plenty of people around to help you.

Meanwhile, rest it and elevate it as much as possible.

Hope it heals quickly!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

We can't give you medical advice on this site, sorry :(

But any other tips we can give we will.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

OP is your dress long? If it is at least you can wear comfy shoes. If its made to fit you in heels you're going to have to measure the height difference between you in flats and you in the wedding shoes and your bride/other bridesmaid/you will have to find a taylor to take the dress up a little bit so you wont be dragging it with the loss of the heels! It might be hard to find someone to do it quickly but I'm sure between everyon on TLL you'll find someone.

After that all you can really do is make it a bit of a laugh. Get ribbon in the same colour as the dress, a few sprigs of flowers and decorate your crutches, then grin and bare it. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Rest, ice, compression, elevation. All you can do. Hope it's not a long flight, try and see if they can sort a seat where you can keep the foot up while you're flying. You should be able to get ice on the plane too. Don't worry about it, saturday is a long way away in body healing terms. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Bring a pair of flat pumps in your bag. Or wear them most of the time and for walking / hopping on and just use the heels for posing in photos with the bride. There may be some nice groomsmen around to help prop you up too, if you can't get any crutches. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sarmer

Thanks everyone, it's mildly better today and I can sort of hobble. I'm worried about the heels now really, it's a long dress so I would need it taken up if I was to wear pumps. I'm flying home this evening and heading down to the bride's hometown tomorrow. I'll wait and see how it is then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

From the wedding photographer's point of view, the slower you walk up the aisle, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

sarmer wrote: »
    I've managed to really badly sprain my ankle today and I'm a bridesmaid this Saturday. I told the bride but didn't tell her how bad it is - I literally can't walk. I'm also currently abroad and have to fly tomorrow - I need special assistance to get to the gate.

Check to see if any of the lads have a horse outside. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Check to see if any of the lads have a horse outside. :D

I shouldn't laugh at your misfortune Op, but this made me laugh. hope the ankle getting better:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lisasimps

Get 'DEEP FREEZE' in boots. its the same company as deep heat, and it comes in a gel and a spray, it'll numb your ankle so you shouldnt really feel pain.
    Prob not great for healing your ankle, but being able to walk on the day should be worth being unable to walk for a few extra days after!!!

On another note, a tip for everyone!

I buy Deep Freeze spray and bring it with me on a night out. When my feet start to hurt from the heels, i spray it on them in the toilets! Smells nice too and lets you last the night in your heels!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭christina_x

lisasimps wrote: »

I buy Deep Freeze spray and bring it with me on a night out. When my feet start to hurt from the heels, i spray it on them in the toilets! Smells nice too and lets you last the night in your heels!!

:eek: genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭BizzyLizzie

Just make sure to wrap it really tightly to compress it, but not so tightly that you cut off the circulation. It'll help stop it swelling too much which can reduce how much you're able to move your ankle. Try to do some exercises with it like making the shapes of the letters of the alphabet to keep it moving. Make sure you haven't done anything more serious to it like a fracture or something before you try to walk on it and definitely see a physio or something to help heal it properly :)

Spot the girl that's spent half her life hobbling around in crutches cos of sprains :pac:

Is today the day of the wedding? Good luck with it :)

Advertisement