Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Player now on PS3

Options
  • 14-12-2010 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

It seems that the PS3 is turning in to a nice Irish TV thingy.... It already supports Irish DTT through its PlayTV device and today, when I turned it on, there on my menu bar was an icon for the RTE Player.

rte-player.jpg

The picture quality is a bit soft, but it is a nice addition to the world of IPTV here in Ireland. It seems that when you click the icon, it links to a web page designed for use through games consoles, and not a dedicated application. I would imagine that it will launch on the XBox and perhaps the Wii also.

***update***

The link to the site is http://www.rte.ie/playerxl
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 jpk1976

gonna try and find it on the wii later on.....i know the bbc player works in the uk so heres hoping...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Lloyderz

I must say it's not bad at all! Nice edition!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Well RTE Player always worked on the PS3 via the PS3 web browser and flash.

Obviously this is a more convenient way of accessing it, so good work.

I just wish RTE would add HTML5 support so that it would work on iPhone/iPad/Android. There is an awful lot more of those in Ireland then PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭patrickmooney

Totally, this would then lead into airplay with the apple TV. I see the current TV3 app supports this already :)
    bk wrote: »

I just wish RTE would add HTML5 support so that it would work on iPhone/iPad/Android. There is an awful lot more of those in Ireland then PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Good spot.

Thanks Op.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bob11

Hi There,

Does anyone know of a method to get this working on the WII ??

I have tried via the Internat channel, but the page does not load ..
    I can see the RTE homepage ok, but the Player page just doesn't load ..

Let me know if anyone else had got it working on WII ??

Cheers,

Bob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

IIRC the version of Flash installed on the Wii is pretty old, so it may not be able to handle the player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bstack10

Hello mrjsmyth thanks for the post just checked it out and its pretty cool was just curious too see you have both the bbc iplayer icon and the rte player icon and was just wondering as to how you can have both or is there some sort of trick to be used

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

bstack10 wrote: »
    ... just curious too see you have both the bbc iplayer icon and the rte player icon and was just wondering as to how you can have both or is there some sort of trick to be used

If you are referring to the photo above, the icon below the RTE Player is for PlayTV, I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

not really a sky player though is it....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

@bstack10 As Pat has said above, the icon beneath RTE Player is the PlayTV icon. So there is no trickery involved unfortunately.

There was talk about an international version of iPlayer launching sometime soon. If so, perhaps that will appear there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Id love to see iPlayer launched over here, but surely its not going to happen so long as we are not paying a UK TV license?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

mjsmyth wrote: »
    I would imagine that it will launch on the XBox and perhaps the Wii also.

***update***

The link to the site is http://www.rte.ie/playerxl

Could be awhile before its on the Xbox. Microsoft want you to pay for everything. They don't want to give anything away for free.
    This is why the BBC iPlayer is not on it in the uk. They wanted the BBC to charge for it. But they said no or could not.

I don't have an XBox, so I can comment about free stuff from Microsoft on that platform, but they do indeed give plenty of stuff awaty for free.

Microsoft Security Essentials is an impressive a/v package, then there is the excellent Windows Live 2011 suite and a favourite of mine is Micrsoft ICE, a great tool for making panoramic pics. All of them free... just not for XBox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

mjsmyth wrote: »
    I don't have an XBox, so I can comment about free stuff from Microsoft on that platform, but they do indeed give plenty of stuff awaty for free.

Microsoft Security Essentials is an impressive a/v package, then there is the excellent Windows Live 2011 suite and a favourite of mine is Micrsoft ICE, a great tool for making panoramic pics. All of them free... just not for XBox.
    Sorry for the confusion. I meant for the Xbox and xbox live mainly.

Ah OK, sorry for the misunderstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I noticed this yesterday. The thing is, I am not sure where it came from. I have not updated to the latest firmware as all it did was add 3d support which I have no use or interest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

i seen something a while back about sony introducing something similar to the apple tv on the playstation,has this already happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Frank2k

Saruman wrote: »
    I noticed this yesterday. The thing is, I am not sure where it came from. I have not updated to the latest firmware as all it did was add 3d support which I have no use or interest in.

A friend of mine living abroad (in France) had the same happening to his PS3 for some strange reason.

He's still on 3.50 and up until recently he was at times logged onto the PSN but this went after the 3.55 FW release. Anyway, the RTE player appeared a few days ago and it works fine (well, it's not very user friendly even with the Bluetooth remote) in the sense he can watch the RTE in house programs but still being outside of Ireland. The box hasn't been in Ireland since April of this year :confused: but could be that the RTE player update was based on the login to PSN...

Would prefer iPlayer from BBC or 4OD though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

This RTE Player menu has appeared on my PS3 too, is there any way to remove this piece of shít? I don't watch RTE, nor do I want to catch up on any of their stupid programs. Picture is absolute garbage for a 37" screen as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bstack10

No problem thought it was iplayer i was getting my hopes up for a while thank anyway

This RTE Player menu has appeared on my PS3 too, is there any way to remove this piece of shít? I don't watch RTE, nor do I want to catch up on any of their stupid programs. Picture is absolute garbage for a 37" screen as well.

You can't remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭ciarraioch1

The RTE player icon isn't appearing on my ps3 at all!
    Neither is the play tv icon.

Do I need to do something to make the RTE player install/appear?!

(sorry if this is a stupid question)

The PlayTV icon only appears if you have the PlayTV adapter. I don't know why the RTE Player icon is not appearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I was prompted for a software update before it appeared, so maybe try running that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sorry for the bump, didn't think this warranted a new thread.

How do I control the RTE Player, i.e. Pause, Rewind, etc? Pausing with the Bluetooth controller pops it out of full screen, RW and FF do nothing. Sometimes back and forward work, sometimes they don't. Any tips for me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

is there any way ya can d/load of RTE player

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

no.

Also there is really no difference in functionallity between the RTE player icon and simply using the PS3 browser (or browser on anything else decent) to go the player on the website. The icon is really just a short cut.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Don't think so watty, they use different URLs to access different SWFs, although both are publically available. I think the PS3 one has "xl" appended to the end or summat.

The player on PS3 is lagging behind the main one now, in that it doesn't support live streaming yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What I'm saying is that since the RTE icon doesn't do anything that can't be done (possibly better) via the Browser, what is the point?

I feel even more so about a lot of iThing Apps to access the same stuff as is available via Browser. Apple is supposed to have a decent Browser.

Apps to replace Web Content is a massive backward step. RTE and BBC should not do ANY special support at all for specific products. It's not like that even 1/6th of Internet users have an iThing.

Advertisement