Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Combo box that supports saorview teletext?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

The situation only arises because Freesat is available within Ireland. Small mercies etc.

Because the Freesat EPG is proprietary there will be know legitimate access to it because of the existence of Freeview in the UK which operates in parallel to it. Their is no need for a UK Combo solution.

Anything that is released grabbing the Freesat EPG will be unofficial and most likely linux based. These boxes are already available but the boxes wouldnt be granny friendly to setup. As they only mimic Freesat look via EPG grab they do not do the things that a normal freesat box would do in the background ie re-tune in the event of a transponder change.

Its one of the things you have to put up with. Availability of both British and Irish stations for free within one set top box will do many. Especially those coming from analogue NTL setups.

Any simply recording function is hindered by non dual tuners unfortunately but that is the other side of cheap Combo boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Thanks guys, really interesting thread. Have been wanting to replace analogue UPC with Saorview + Freesat, but have been waiting for a combi box with:

- a PVR
    - Watch sat channel while recording DTT & vice-versa
    - As far ahead an EPG as I can reasonably expect
    - Stable software that won't give any trouble
    - A wifey-friendly interface

I guess it's worth waiting a bit to see what Saorview boxes are approved in the next few months.

All feedback very much appreciated!

On another point, in my ignorance I can see how it might be interests of Freesat.co.uk to approve combi boxes. On the one hand, their shareholders would lose revenue from broadcasters to Ireland (i.e. the money that UPC & Sky pay to BBC for broadcasting their channels) but they'd lose some of that anyway, & they'd gain more subscribers. For the advertising-supported TV companies, this is a benefit. Even for the BBC, there is a benefit in greater market share and in reducing the share of their main competitor, Sky. Or maybe I'm dreaming...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,582 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Tony wrote: »
    Just spoke with Armstrongs who tell me its this one TRIAX ST-HD537

I assume it will have the 7 day EPG for DTT, but do you know will it have a 7 day EPG on the Sat side, or just now/next.

The Media player part seems handy as well.

Reesy wrote: »
    Thanks guys, really interesting thread. Have been wanting to replace analogue UPC with Saorview + Freesat, but have been waiting for a combi box with:

- a PVR

I guess it's worth waiting a bit to see what Saorview boxes are approved in the next few months.

All feedback very much appreciated!

On another point, in my ignorance I can see how it might be interests of Freesat.co.uk to approve combi boxes. On the one hand, their shareholders would lose revenue from broadcasters to Ireland (i.e. the money that UPC & Sky pay to BBC for broadcasting their channels) but they'd lose some of that anyway, & they'd gain more subscribers. For the advertising-supported TV companies, this is a benefit. Even for the BBC, there is a benefit in greater market share and in reducing the share of their main competitor, Sky. Or maybe I'm dreaming...

Freesat dont approve boxes. This wont be a freesat box on the satellite side, its FTA satellite.

Teracom will be approving the box for Irish DTT. I would imagine that the fact that it has a DVB-S2 tuner that it will also work for Saorsat and that may have been the other side of approval.

I doubt it will do all those thing you want it to Reesy. The record DTT and watch sat part anyhow. Ferguson Ariva is the only I know of that does this in the cheap combo end of the market.

It wont have 7 day epg for 28.2.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Really since there are 5 channels that need EPG and maybe 7 later, (out of 6 to 9) on Saorview and I have 50+ UK channels (FTA) on my Digiguide listing, also BBC Interactive is a "must have" here, I think I would prefer Freesat HD compatible box. I will skip on combos till one is 100% Freesat Compatible (Interactive and full EPG).

For now we have a PC as PVR on Satellite (28,19,13 & 9) and DTT (dual USB tuner stick) and the Living room TV has out-of-sub Sky Box + built in Digital.

Three other Analogue TVs with PC or set-box Satellite Tuners. One other Laptop with 1920x1080 screen and Dual DTT stick.

I think there may be value in waiting another 6 to 9 months before buying a Living room all channel PVR solution. Wait see what happens regarding Saorsat. I simply am sceptical that we will see a proper quad tuner true Saorview + Freesat PVR combo.
    I'm doubtfull we will even see a cheap 1 + 1 tuners true Saorview + Freesat box. I don't think the market is very significant and technically "Freesat" licencees can't promote product here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

but do you know will it have a 7 day EPG on the Sat side,

No only freesat boxes have this

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Reesy wrote: »

- a PVR

I'm in exactly the same situation as you, and have been monitoring the combo box options for a while. From what I've read here (and seen myself) there's no viable FTA PVR combo box that comes anywhere near replicating Sky+ in terms of ALL the requirements above, and nothing really on the horizon given Ireland is a small market for manufacturers. Higher-end equipment (like the Dreamboxes) are probably amazing but too expensive for the average household. The only advantage I can see of the combo boxes (apart from the lack of subscription) is better SD quality.

I'm loathe to pay Sky (or UPC) for anything, but it looks better by the day. Am I missing something here?

I'm in exactly the same situation as you, and have been monitoring the combo box options for a while. From what I've read here (and seen myself) there's no viable FTA PVR combo box that comes anywhere near replicating Sky+ in terms of ALL the requirements above, and nothing really on the horizon given Ireland is a small market for manufacturers. Higher-end equipment (like the Dreamboxes) are probably amazing but too expensive for the average household. The only advantage I can see of the combo boxes (apart from the lack of subscription) is better SD quality.

I'm loathe to pay Sky (or UPC) for anything, but it looks better by the day. Am I missing something here?

Old people friendly no.

I see you mention the Dreambox.

Well if you are that way inclined you can get a box with a better spec that does all that. Its linux based and requires a little set up. But it does all that you require. Its called the VU+Duo. Its €387 delivered. Another €25 for a USB DTT tuner.

See the Foreign Satellite Forum - massive thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

STB wrote: »
    Old people friendly no.

I see you mention the Dreambox.

Well if you are that way inclined you can get a box with a better spec that does all that. Its linux based and requires a little set up. But it does all that you require. Its called the VU+Duo. Its €387 delivered. Another €25 for a USB DTT tuner.

See the Foreign Satellite Forum - massive thread.

I'm not that old (yet!) and am technically savvy, but I've no interest in a hobbyist's box, and that's what the VU+ Duo looks like to me. About half of the 31-page thread on this concerns setup, changing firmware versions, getting a compatible DTT tuner etc. - I just want a plug 'n play system that gives me the right services and is easy to maintain.

I'm sure there are setup wizards etc. to ease the pain, and it's really flexible, but I don't want to spend my weekends messing about with this to get it working. It's also expensive (box, tuner, HDD, dish, aerial, cabling etc.).

In general Turbulent Bill (for old folks who only use the P+ and - buttons abd the V+ and V- buttons).

You must remember, whilst they could be seen as geek boxes, you do not have to be constantly updating firmware. That is a geek habit.

I guess you should ask the question over there... can I set it up and leave it alone. I am sure you can.

Its the only box that pulls down the Freesat 7 day epg and converts it. Nothing else can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Impcat

I believe this STB combines all the required attributes (sorry won't list them there, I'm not that techie)

http://www.tvtrade.ie/edision-argus-vip2-combo-receiver.html

My question is (please don't laugh): at the moment I have nothing ie. no nice UHF antenna outside, no satellite dish, no cable, no sky nothing...

I happily watch RTE 1,2 TV3 and TG4 on my 14+ year old small TV with its own wire antenna sticking out...I know, it's sad but the rte player does help.

2011 is time to move to flat screen HD TV and I just want to have full proof solution to get Irish DTT channels + UK freesat channels.

Since I'm not great at DIY, could anyone recommend a company / tradesman who could supply and install freesat satellite dish + UHF antenna and plug the all into that nice combo STB?

Also, ideally, would like to pick up all these channels on 2 TVs in 2 rooms.

Any help much appreciated.

I'm open to correction but as far as I'm aware this does not have MHEG 5 so does not support saorview teletext.

Impcat wrote: »
    I believe this STB combines all the required attributes (sorry won't list them there, I'm not that techie)

http://www.tvtrade.ie/edision-argus-vip2-combo-receiver.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Tony wrote: »
    I'm open to correction but as far as I'm aware this does not have MHEG 5 so does not support saorview teletext.

Also, in the spec, it says 7 day epg ( works best with DTT ), what does that mean ? It either has a 7 day epg for satellite or it does'nt. Also, it says pvr ready, I presume that means recording to a USB stick ? So really, it doesn't fit the bill, does it ? If it isn't a "proper" pvr and it doesn't have 7 day epg for satellite, then it's no better than any of the other combo boxes available.

There are different possible methods for EPG on Satellite
    • DVB-EIT. Most Generic FTA boxes support this. It's transmitted on some German stations on Satellite and on Irish DTT (Saorview).
    • Sky Proprietary (only on Digibox) Might be using "Open TV".
    • Freesat Proprietary. Doesn't use MHEG5, even though Freesat uses MHEG5. Go Figure.
    • Various schemes in parallel on Freeview. Some old UK DTT boxes use 3rd party EPG only.
    • MHEG5 based. An application and data. Needs a receiver with MHEG5.
    • MHP based. An application and data. Not sure who does this. Or if anyone.

You need to have the methods the broadcasts you want use.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭RogerThis

What is MHEG5 used for on Saorview?

Is it used for teletext?

Is it used for EPG?

Can\Will it be used for "Red Button" for extra services?

Yes to all

RogerThis wrote: »
    What is MHEG5 used for on Saorview?

Is it used for teletext?

Is it used for EPG?

Can\Will it be used for "Red Button" for extra services?

What Tony says

Longer answer: http://www.saortv.info/about/mheg5/

It's a Mandatory part of claiming a TV is "Irish Digital TV" compatible.

Advertisement