Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kinect vs Move

Options
  • 11-12-2010 9:20pm

Which one do people think will come out on top? It is HD-DVD vs Bluray round 2, Microsoft vs Sony. As you know, Bluray won last time, so which one will win this time? Kinect or Move?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

What a ridiculous question.

Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

Kinect have already won that one!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

In fairness Kinect has had unbelievable coverage, exposure and advertisement leading up to it.

Add to the recent activities that people are now able to connect it up to the PC without Microsoft giving a shìt (They see it as a potential goldmine for the product now)

I haven't used either but just by the coverage alone I know more about the Kinect than the Move.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

You really can't compare blu-ray and dvd to kinect and move. But yes, kinect won.

• Advertisement

I picked the HD-DVD and Bluray, because it was essentially Microsoft vs Sony. Has Kinect won it? I didn't realise. I know Microsoft invested something like half billion in advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Whoever wins... we lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,985 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

They're all ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

As an 360 and PS3 owner, and remaining objective.

Kinect won / will win the battle of sales and exposure.. but having used it, it's a bag of shíte!

Move is implemented better.. but it really needed a better marketing push.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,516 ✭✭✭✭Varik

4.1m move controllers (Sony's not counting anything else as it's hard) shipped to retailers, and the kinect sales in Japan were 25k so far out of the 2.5m worldwide which is terrible. Michael Pachter who happens to be an idiot imho, is saying 2.5m would be a good estimate of actual sold numbers for move but that's with a 2 month head start and little advertising and certainly no Oprah helping.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I played the kinnect adventures and it's actually really good. Thought kinnect was gonna be crap but this has changed my opinion of it. It works really well (lag is a bit annoying at times) and shows promise. Hopefully it gets some decent games.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

Its gotta be Kinect, it looks ''new'' whereas Move is just a 100% Wii rip-off, although I would rather Move to have one as I much rather Playstation to Xbox.

But to be honest, I think all of this motion control is just a gimmick, I mean, there are no ''proper'' games, its just aimed at young children really.

The novelty is cool for a while but it will soon wear off.

If they release a game for the Move where I can hideously mutilate people, I'll get it. The game that is, I already have the Move somewhere around here, I didn't pay real money for it, just traded some useless games for it and it's been about as much use as those games were.

I did enjoy the Gladiator thing though. I used it with MAG for one kill, laughed and boxed it.

I can't see myself getting the Kinect. It looks like the worst thing ever.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Kinect is the better/newer technology, as it's actually innovating (and by that I mean do something really well we haven't seen pushed hard before). It however isn't accurate enough to play anything better than casual game. (They took out the 1:1 tech so it wouldn't be $100 more expensive). I suppose technically you could call it a HD EyeToy lol. Kinect is a "casual" gimmick so it's a much smarter idea to promote. Kinect 2 with 1:1 gaming can rope in the hardcores.

The move is basically a HD Wii, so it's all very familiar already. But it's far more accurate than Kinect, so they'll be some AAA titles for it.

"In fairness Kinect has had unbelievable coverage, exposure and advertisement leading up to it."
    Well Sony have pretty deep pockets too -- any lull in advertising/awareness is their own bloody shortcoming!

To be fair Kinect is a much more appealing gimmick than the Move, because it does something we've never seen before (successfully). Talking to my non-gamer friends, a couple of them are jonesing to buy a Kinect, while they know nothing and don't care for the move.

Anyway, Kinect is killing Move in the sales, no matter how many Move bundles Sony have 'shipped' lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

In a Pure technical standpoint it doesn't accomplish nothing and just a better eyetoy but according to reviewers it has lagging issues and if your going to have a full body motion camera it should be able to do 1;1 precision movement otherwise why buy it at all. also the camera isnt hd its standard, microsoft were going to add a hdcam but he would of cost more than 149.99 to make

925207_71507_front.jpg

Ps move is also a just a better made wii remote but if i had to choose i choose the ps move , just cause it been added to games like killzone 3 , sly cooper collection , resident evil 5 (etc)

Nobody is ever going to play a FPS competitively with the Move controller. Sony are obviously making developers include a Move option in games, but that's all it is right now for proper games. "Ohhh I see..very good, NO THANKS"

The Kinect still looks like the worst thing ever. We'll see if this "fantastic technology" will ever be utilised for a good game and not...eh...

kinect.gif
    original.gif

Go away Kinect and Move, unless you can make a game where I can mutilate people doing backstreet surgery or punch the head off Mick Hucknall and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I got move when it came out and used it for half an hour,have not touched it since and it's the reason I woud not bother getting kinect.Both are very limited in the type of games you can use them for,it's more of a kids thing or maybe some gullible people might think they will get fit from their living room,just go for a jog.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭ProjectColossus

I had written off Kinect from the start, and in terms of the games available, I think I was right. But, from what I've seen, there is a plesantly surprising amount of potential for not strictly gaming applications.

For gaming, strictly, if I had to choose one, I would get Move, it looks like a much more solid implementation of this kind of body movement game control.

But, I'm now quite interested developing some computer vision toys myself so I can actually see myself playing with a Kinect unit on a non gaming basis.

In any event, realistically, neither will be getting my non research funded money, the 3DS will, for gaming and whatever else it ends up doing, 3D movies, 3D photos etc. I can't wait for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

bah mouse and keyboard will always be king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

The kinect seems to be like playing on a tv without setting it to gaming mode, just off the pace. If they sort that, its pure gold.

Haven't had a go with a Move yet.

I would still worry the library for both of them goes the way of the Wii and has as many middle aged ladys and grannies lining up for them, only in High Definition.

I think they both have a bright future, possibly due to the type of games "hardcore" gamers are loathed to see.

Now if you will excuse me, I need to use my balance board as dont think Sony or Microsoft have interactive weighing scales yet.

Ah, turns out my balance is Sh*t, my wii just told me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

cambo2008 wrote: »
    I got move when it came out and used it for half an hour,have not touched it since and it's the reason I woud not bother getting kinect.Both are very limited in the type of games you can use them for,it's more of a kids thing or maybe some gullible people might think they will get fit from their living room,just go for a jog.

at least you just got stung for a controller. I for a Wii a few years ago and used it about 5 times. Biggest heap of crap I ever got. Can't believe I fell for a gimmick I knew would be crap before I even bought it. The ads with families standing around playing it make me feel physically ill

Thing is that these consoles were never aimed towards gamers. They're primarily aimed towards families, especially those with young kids.

It'll be interesting to see how more adult orientated games will fare if and when they are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I always thought the Move was a "oh crap Microsoft are revealing motion control at E3 we better make something quickly" kind of an idea. But it turns out it actually is quite good. The Kinect is totally different i don't think it will come into its own until they give up on the button less approach and use it in conjunction with the controller/gun accessories. Hiding behind the couch as cover in Gears of war 3 would be class, if you had a gun then to shoot with it would be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

Wouldn't be bothered with either of them.

I'm going to hold off until Project Natal comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

kinect has it by a clear mile...plus its great for little ones as there's no controllers to smash about.

Did anyone ever play this arcade shooting game where it has sensors that detected your movement, so if you ducked left, the character would duck too? This sort of thing, with perhaps Killzone's style would make an excellent FPS possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Did anyone ever play this arcade shooting game where it has sensors that detected your movement, so if you ducked left, the character would duck too? This sort of thing, with perhaps Killzone's style would make an excellent FPS possibly.

Police 24/7 used motion sensing technology but it suffered from terrible lag and anyone playing it in the arcade suffered from looking like a plank.

bugs wrote: »
    Police 24/7 used motion sensing technology but it suffered from terrible lag and anyone playing it in the arcade suffered from looking like a plank.

That's the one. I only ever played it once and never again. Just too many strange looks from people.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

smooch71 wrote: »

I'm going to hold off until Project Natal comes out.

:confused: Kinect is Natal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

dreamers75 wrote: »
    :confused: Kinect is Natal.
    Yeah, I assumed it was a joke.

Advertisement