Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Explosions in Stockholm

Options
  • 11-12-2010 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭

Can someone grab some links and post the article text? Just saw this on BBC but I'm on a mobile.

1 dead apparently, at least one explosion was sourced to a car containing gas canisters.

Edit: figuresd out how to copypasta on the phone
    One person has been killed and at least one other hurt as two explosions rocked the centre of the Swedish capital, Stockholm, police say.

A car blew up near the busy shopping street of Drottninggatan, and another explosion hit nearby minutes later, AP news agency quoted police as saying.

A man's body was discovered after the second blast, the agency reported.

Swedish Aftonbladet newspaper showed images of a burning white car. The cause of the blasts is not yet known.

Rescue services spokesman Roger Sverndal said the car which exploded had contained gas canisters, AP reported.

A former AP worker, Gabriel Gabiro, was close to the second blast.

"I saw some people crying, perhaps from the shock," he told the agency.

"There was a man lying on the ground with blood coming out in the area of his belly, and with his personal belongings scattered around him."

Aftonbladet said police had cordoned off the area and emergency services were at the scene.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/12/11/sweden.explosion/index.html
    Two explosions rocked central Stockholm on Saturday, killing one person, injuring two others and damaging a vehicle, Swedish police said.
    "One explosion happened at the intersection of Drottninggatan and Olof Palmes Gata. This was the car that exploded multiple times," said police spokeswoman Petra Sjolander.
    A second explosion occurred about five minutes later, at the intersection of Drottninggatan and Bryggargatan streets, Sjolander said. A man was found dead at the scene.
    "We don't know at this point what caused the second explosion," Sjolander said.
    In the first incident, multiple blasts went off in a car at a major shopping district in the city that was full of holiday shoppers, according to Sjolander.
    "It is likely that this was some kind of gas tubes that have caused the car to explode multiple times," she said.
    Sjolander said that "we don't want to speculate" whether the explosions were intentional or an accident.
    Two people at the site of the car explosion were taken to the hospital with minor injuries, she said.
    "There is no risk of any further explosions as we see it and the car will now be examined," Sjolander said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

KeithM89 wrote: »

Sweden: Stockholm blasts kill one and injure one other
    One person has been killed and at least one other hurt as two explosions rocked the centre of the Swedish capital, Stockholm, police say.
    A car blew up near the busy shopping street of Drottninggatan, and another explosion hit nearby minutes later, AP news agency quoted police as saying.
    Swedish Aftonbladet newspaper showed images of a burning white car. The cause of the blasts is not yet known.
    Rescue services spokesman Roger Sverndal said the car which exploded had contained gas canisters, AP reported.
    "There was a man lying on the ground with blood coming out in the area of his belly, and with his personal belongings scattered around him."
    Aftonbladet said police had cordoned off the area and emergency services were at the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11977524

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Here ye go

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭cml387

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Go teamwork!

MediumWell wrote: »
    Go teamwork!

Just watching sky news. They don't have it on yet. Go go interweb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Multiple blasts are generally the work of Al Qaeda...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the CIA targeting wikileaks

?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

TheZohan wrote: »
    Multiple blasts are generally the work of Al Qaeda...

Indeed, cars packed with gas cylinders have been a recent modus operandi of theirs. It was tried in Times Square and the West End, amateurish but deadly nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Hmmm I passed very close by there this afternoon. It would have been jammed with people.

Stky10 wrote: »
    Hmmm I passed very close by there this afternoon. It would have been jammed with people.

Do you speak Swedish and if so, anything on local radio etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Nevore wrote: »
    Do you speak Swedish and if so, anything on local radio etc?

Bits, but I'm not listening to local radio. Trying other sources. Here's a link to the local news in English. No updates so far..

http://www.thelocal.se/

EDIT: Some local newspaper links.. use Google Translate to read them... there is an entrance to the underground just behind the car that exploded. At 4:50 it would have been busy

http://www.dn.se/sthlm/bil-exploderade-i-centrala-stockholm-1.1225750
    http://www.svd.se/nyheter/inrikes/en-person-dod-efter-explosion-i-centrala-stockholm_5802621.svd
    http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article8265103.ab
    http://tv.expressen.se/nyheter/inrikes/1.1992477/live-stockholm

What. The. Hell?

Why is Stockholm being targeted?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

What. The. Hell?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Security_Assistance_Force#Contributing_nations

500 troops in Afghanistan

thats if it's Al Qaeda

Might be a new actor. It's not the Chinese' style but the Nobel was just on in the city.

punchdrunk wrote: »

Yet Germany, France and Denmark all have much more troops.. why Sweden? If it was terrorists, do you think this is the targeting of major European countries that caused a panic a few weeks back?

I hope it wasn't terrorists though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Are they filming coronation street in stockholm now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Bloody Al-Qaeda:mad:, piss off back to the dark ages.

Has it been confirmed whether it was a carbomb or a gas explosion?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I wouldn't be suprised if this was from Al-Qaeda

Multiple car explosions are usually their calling card.

Well it wasn't the municipal gas net if that's what you mean. The police seem to have confirmed at least one car contained gas canisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Nevore wrote: »
    Might be a new actor. It's not the Chinese' style but the Nobel was just on in the city.

Was that not on in Oslo?

dan1895 wrote: »
    Was that not on in Oslo?

Yeah, it was. I always mix the scandies up.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 81,825 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be suprised if this was from Al-Qaeda and the plan was fast forwarded because of that recent video of Dutch soldiers killing insurgents that got fairly popular in the past few weeks.

Its the calling card of multiple terrorist organizations, it's like saying bullets are the calling cards of the mafia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be suprised if this was from Al-Qaeda and the plan was fast forwarded because of that recent video of Dutch soldiers killing insurgents that got fairly popular in the past few weeks.

Wouldn't they target the Netherlands then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

What. The. Hell?

Fundamentalist religious extremists tend to hate Western values en masse. Every Western country is a potential target, including Ireland.
    They will exploit any security weakness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Wish they would come here and target leinster house and take down our government for us.

Advertisement