Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Snow Road Conditions?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

looks like thats it for me this year - looking at the forecasts :(

and the state of the roads

as least joe bastardi's predicting an end to this by xmas (got eeverything else pretty much right this year)

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

On the other hand, this suggests a possible grim time ahead for a while:
    All of these factors are building blocks towards what may become an epochal cold spell for Ireland and Britain in the next 20-30 day interval.

I'd like to look on the bright side and focus on the more optimistic outlook, but it's Monday morning and my optimism gene doesn't get out of bed until Tuesday at the earliest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

looks like thats it for me this year - looking at the forecasts :(

and the state of the roads

as least joe bastardi's predicting an end to this by xmas (got eeverything else pretty much right this year)

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/bastardi-europe-blog.asp
    His scepticism towards anthropogenic global warming is his own business, but his spelling is rather poor ("something to be hold"?), and he seems to confuse climate and weather when discussing the significance of the recent cold weather, which is something rather odd for a senior meteorologist to do.

Armstrong and Miller had quite a good sketch about people confusing the two at the weekend. One of them is a physicist, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Phoenix Park cycle lanes were dodgy this morning. Came flying through the Castleknock Gate on to the cycle lane and had to swerve into the grass to avoid the ice....continued down Chesterfield Avenue on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭pantani

was driving to dublin from wexford on sat bout 10.30am and saw two lots of cyclists heading south around ashford ,roads seemed fine just wondering who they were?:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

D15 was not great this morning. The cycle lanes on the snugborough rd were still icy. It was much better at 1PM.
    Need to cycle to town from D15 tomorrow, I will avoid the park.
    I think with the amount of crap left near the gutters, bring a few spare tubes ...

The roads around Cork are all completley ice free today and hopefully will continue to be for a few more days. However, all the grit that was spread has turned many roads into a gooey, slimey mess that is quite slippy. One of my clubmates had an off on it recentley. I was out earlier and was losing traction at some points while climbing, and had to take the corners very cautiously indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I think with the amount of crap left near the gutters, bring a few spare tubes ...

I got a bad tear in the rear tyre of the Brompton. Have to buy a new tyre now. Unbelievable amount of debris of all types on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

Phoenix park cycle lanes were doable on MTB tonight, big patch of ice as you join at the castleknock gate which I freewheeled over with fingers crossed and a few dots of slushy ice near the zoo. Roads everywhere else were clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭dario28

For Portmarnock to Town - Malahide road way or coast bike path

Should I go road bike or MTB ?

Anyone know what they are like - Dont fancy another day on the DART

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Coast bike path is fine, at least the part I was on yesterday was.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭instinct

The howth road was fine but the cycle path through Fairview was a bit icy in parts.

But there is a slick on some of the roads that I didn't like the look of. One car spun its tires while trying to do a hill start in Raheny.

So its still greasy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭crashoveroid

The roads around Cork are all completley ice free today and hopefully will continue to be for a few more days. However, all the grit that was spread has turned many roads into a gooey, slimey mess that is quite slippy. One of my clubmates had an off on it recentley. I was out earlier and was losing traction at some points while climbing, and had to take the corners very cautiously indeed.

That was me noting major just some skin went missing on a plus point it is helping my weight loss goals. Didn't tear tights or jacket but i did destroy a good pair of overshoes and scratched up a new set of bars and bar tape.

Advertisement