Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thermonuclear Wikileaks release ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Loads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nackaman

It's not much of a threat i think because eventually they'll release it no matter what. What's the point of having the file, leaking other sensitive files but keeping this one file secret forever. It's coming out one way or another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Probably less damage than was caused by Monica Lewinsky sucking off Bill Clinton

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...This hasn’t been particularly difficult, since military investigators have been able to conduct forensic searches of the computer that once belonged to Private First Class Bradley Manning, an Army intelligence analyst, while he was stationed in Iraq...

They are assuming that the insurance file just contains material from him?
    They might be caught by surprise then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Considering their normal releases have got interpol arresting the former Croatian prime minister, alot I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

One thing we do know,” Lapan says, “is that the size of the file is very large.”

I see the Pentagon have been doing some rigorous research.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

One thing we do know,” Lapan says, “is that the size of the file is very large.”
    Fringe wrote: »
    I see the Pentagon have been doing some rigorous research.

Shouldn't really knock them, it probably took days of blood, sweat and doughnuts, to work that out! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Wargames comes to mind. Isn't that right Dr. Falken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It's amazing how much data you can get on a Lady Gaga CD.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Lorcan78 wrote: »
    How much damage would you think this file would be to the USA if released ? And what kind of information would be in it ?

I'm inclined to agree with a poster on another thread who said it contains the next Batman movie.

Otherwise, Nackaman is correct. In terms of being an insurance policy, it's useless. People must assume that an organisation dedicated to leaking information will eventually leak the information in the file.

NTM

• Advertisement

nackaman wrote: »
    It's not much of a threat i think because eventually they'll release it no matter what. What's the point of having the file, leaking other sensitive files but keeping this one file secret forever. It's coming out one way or another.

I severely doubt that. Information like this is the only thing that is keeping him alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I severely doubt that. Information like this is the only thing that is keeping him alive.

They'll probably go thermo-nuclear on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Are they not planning a US banking exposé?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

I say use Jack Bauers methods to get whatever info is needed from this nut job Assange. The chap thinks he is some sort of James Bond villain :rolleyes:

Yea, early next year... He said a year or two ago that he had stuff on BOA so people think it'll be them that get feked.

Can't wait to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Well if anything, it'll buy him some time. When they find out theres nothing overly dangerous in the files, then they'll just off him or something. He's safe though, for now....

BOO!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Lorcan78 wrote: »
    How much damage would you think this file would be to the USA if released ? And what kind of information would be in it ?

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Military/2010/1210/Pentagon-scrambles-to-prep-for-thermonuclear-Wikileaks-release

a bullet to the head could do quite a lot of damage to assange if he pisses off the pentagon/cia too much, he should remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

THE SECRET FILE IS ABOUT ALIENS zomg zomg fact this homeless told me he was also an albino coincidence ? i think not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Perhaps more than any other organization, the Pentagon is trying to figure out what, precisely, is contained in the so-called “thermonuclear” file that Wikileaks founder Julian Assange has promised to share with the world if “something happens” to him or to his staff.

In other words the people who would benefit the most from an attack on Assange or his staff at this stage would ironically be those who oppose America and its foreign policy. So instead of being worried about one enemy he quite possibly has just offered an incentive to extremists on his own "side" to target him, with the added benefit that if something does happen to him or his staff, the general public will jump to the assumption that it was the Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Why so much focus on Assange though? Its not like wikileaks is just him. Theres a good size group of them isnt there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,810 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Some Conspiracy Theorists believe that if Assange did in fact encrypte the package with AES.256-bit, that the Pentagon could in thoery already have decrypted it, believing that the Pentagon has a backdoor through the encryption algorithm, seeing as how they were among the first official bodies to endorse the standard. So they could in theory already know what Assange knows and are trying to detain him to prevent the information from being distributed.

Of course thats probably just a can of Who Hash. Much more likely they'd prefer to beat the snot out of him until he gave up the encryption key, so they would know how much or how little real intelligence he did have. Still you have to remember they'd have had plenty of access to the Lt. that leaked the information in the first place, so they at least have an idea of what he's got.

The Thermonuclear file isnt all that big, either, if you ask me. Even with compression. I'd be delighted if it proved aliens existed but it's probably just The Dark Knight :(

What would be more frightening is if by it's namesake it revealed some horrible discovery ie. the US was actively using more nukes than the START treaties allowed for. I would vehemently hope not, but the not knowing leaves room for glorified, wild speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I have the bloody thing but no code to open it! :(
    Overheal wrote: »
    Some Conspiracy Theorists believe that if Assange did in fact encrypte the package with AES.256-bit, that the Pentagon could in thoery already have decrypted it, believing that the Pentagon has a backdoor through the encryption algorithm, seeing as how they were among the first official bodies to endorse the standard. So they could in theory already know what Assange knows and are trying to detain him to prevent the information from being distributed.

Of course thats probably just a can of Who Hash. Much more likely they'd prefer to beat the snot out of him until he gave up the encryption key, so they would know how much or how little real intelligence he did have. Still you have to remember they'd have had plenty of access to the Lt. that leaked the information in the first place, so they at least have an idea of what he's got.

The Thermonuclear file isnt all that big, either, if you ask me. Even with compression. I'd be delighted if it proved aliens existed but it's probably just The Dark Knight :(

What would be more frightening is if by it's namesake it revealed some horrible discovery ie. the US was actively using more nukes than the START treaties allowed for. I would vehemently hope not, but the not knowing leaves room for glorified, wild speculation.
    It would take billions of years to crack unless they had a a backdoor, which I highly doubt they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,810 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I have the bloody thing but no code to open it! :(
    I've been doing some reading on that and basically, it's expected that it will take a bajillion years to brute force with the entire computing power of Earth. And thats even when the best minds on earth have narrowed down the possible Keys to 12x10^7 possible combination of alphanumeric and symbols.

http://www.popsci.com/node/50548/?cmpid=enews120910

I initially believed it would only be a matter of years or decades before it was cracked but now im not so bloody sure.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Why so much focus on Assange though? Its not like wikileaks is just him. Theres a good size group of them isnt there?

There's a large group, but people find it better to identify with a single person, a single face. It makes it easier to blame people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

I don't know why people keeping saying that they'll off Assange. If they were stupid enough to do that, it wouldn't stop anything, because there's an organisation behind Wikileaks, it's not just himself..

It'd probably just make the group more determined to screw over the government with their treasure trove of secret files..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Inzilbeth

I think they will try and keep going.. but

http://www.dn.se/nyheter/varlden/a-new-wikileaks-revolts-against-assange-1.1224764

there was division already in Wikileaks.. this new site makes me think that either it is people jumping ship ( as there were rumours that not everyone was happy with the amount of attention Julian was getting as opposed to Wikileaks) or maybe it was already planned out before Julian Assange got arrested as if I am reading it correctly the new site would operate as merely a site leaking information to selected groups ( I am assuming journalists predominately as they have to date not been ever found guilty re leakages) but not for public perusal.. hence perhaps this would be a way to get the info out without actually having to take the risk as Mr Assange has done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Lorcan78

a bullet to the head could do quite a lot of damage to assange if he pisses off the pentagon/cia too much, he should remember that.

The leaks and the truth will still be made puplic regardless so I doubt thats going to be the case ........

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,243 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

there was division already in Wikileaks.. this new site makes me think that either it is people jumping ship ( as there were rumours that not everyone was happy with the amount of attention Julian was getting as opposed to Wikileaks)

The main reason is that they were unhappy at the amount of attention that Assange was giving to the US. They wanted to put a few man-hours into stuff from other countries, Assange had his own ideas.
    I don't know why people keeping saying that they'll off Assange. If they were stupid enough to do that, it wouldn't stop anything, because there's an organisation behind Wikileaks, it's not just himself..

Depends. It does have a certain pour encourager les autres effect.

The problem is making sure the right people get the credit. If he was to mysteriously die tomorrow, people would likely look at the CIA. That's not really their style, though, it's more likely something Russian, Chinese or Israeli. But who'd believe it was the FSB, without a press release? If so, then what deterrence effect would it have?

NTM

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Clearly the document contains the real recipe for Coca Cola

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭upandcumming

faceman wrote: »
    Clearly the document contains the real recipe for Coca Cola

I doubt Assange would do any damage to the greatest beverage in the world!

Advertisement