Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of respect for personal space.

Options
  • 09-12-2010 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

So i took the aircoach to dublin airport today. I got on, paid my fare, shuffled down the aisle and sat down. There was only two passengers on the coach, myself and some other guy. At the next stop two middle aged women got on. One of these women sat down next to me DESPITE THE FACT THAT THERE WAS ABOUT 50 OTHER AVAILABLE SEATS. Now, i'm a reasonable guy, not a completely antisocial animal but i just cannot stand this kind of mindless encroaching on my spacebubble. I need my lebensraum. So not wishing to create a scene, i politely asked the women if i could get by and moved down the coach a bit and chose another seat. I saw the woman looking back at me like i was some kind of maniac. This did not bother me, i reclined my seat, stretched my legs and basked in the beautiful uncrowdedness of my surroundings. Anyway my point is, does this kind of activity get on anyone elses wick? What the hell makes people do this? If i get on any form of public transport or a doctors waiting room, cafe or synagog, i always afford those around me with as much comfort and peace as possible by sitting somewhere other than right beside them. Any similar experiences? Do share.x

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Suck it up, it's public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Don't bleedin kiss me! Yeh don't know me from Adam!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Should have started asking her had she heard the Good News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

If theres plenty of other free seats id be annoyed. I was on the train yesterday and got stuck beside some girl listening to the same Saturdays song over and over and over again really loudly... It was stuck in my head all day.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Next time try smiling and patting the seat beside you as they walk down the bus, see if they sit there then...
    If they do looks like you got a BFF

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

yeuch public transport! glad i don't have to use that anymore, :D

my worst was when someone with really strong unpleasant odour sat next to you! it was so hard not to gag! occasionally i had to walk off and wait for the next one!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What the hell makes people do this?
    Maybe she fancied joining the five-foot high club?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Had a similar experience on public transport in Dubai - manual workers from the Indian sub-continent clearly have different feelings about personal space and one asked a complete stranger to let him into the window seat beside the aisle seat on which the stranger was sitting... despite 50 empty seats on the bus! They then fell asleep on each others shoulders:D... I thought it quite funny and compared it to Ireland where we are programmed to take the furthest possible seat from all others on the bus...

Never saw what you describe happen in Ireland OP - Am I right to assume the woman was Irish? If so, then it is really odd... If not, then perhaps different social norms apply in her country of origin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Need a hug, OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It might be rude in some countries not to share a seat with someone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 uwala

Irish people in general have no respect for personal space. They seem to lack sensitivity that other countries don't. Go to any supermarket or walk down any street and morons will walk straight into you, stand there oblivious while you try to pass, and act as if no-one else exists. Not surprised because they also have no style, aesthetics or taste. Just look at everything they do. For the most part they are retarded monkeys.

Cue beligerent Irish retort...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

uwala wrote: »
    Irish people in general have no respect for personal space. They seem to lack sensitivity that other countries don't. Go to any supermarket or walk down any street and morons will walk straight into you, stand there oblivious while you try to pass, and act as if no-one else exists. Not surprised because they also have no style, aesthetics or taste. Just look at everything they do. For the most part they are retarded monkeys.

oh, the troll-fu is strong in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭itac

Ohh dear god, this is actually one of the few things in life that really wrecks my head! I can tolerate & understand it in busy pubs/shops/suchlike, because in places like those, you don't really have much of a choice other than to leave-but when I'm in a queue and someone stands in my personal space, or sits beside me on the bus when they've walked past 5 empty double seats, it takes all my energy not to punch them*!

Worst one I had was a guy behind me in the queue in the Post Office-I could actually feel his breath on my neck. I then stuck my elbow out and "accidentally" elbowed him in the stomach, apologising with a "god, I didn't expect you to be so close to me". I now nearly always stand with my elbow sticking out as far as I can behind me-if people keep banging into it of their own accord, tough crap. Bags on seat on the bus, failing that, move to another seat, explaining that I have a bad knee which doesn't agree with the cramped space on Dublin Bus which is why I want to sit on my own...hurray for a convincing limp.

/end rant/

Thanks OP...:D

*anyone who knows me knows I'm not really a violent person, but this is one dealbreaker with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

uwala wrote: »

Banned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Antomus Prime

That would annoy me too, if the bus is empty dont sit beside me, unless you're really hot.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Paul Theroux made a whole career out of recording conversations on public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Yep, people invading my personal space annoys the **** out of me. The worst is people who get uncomfortably close when talking to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Yep, aweful, I used to have to just get off the bus all the time too... I hate when someone is in your space constantly when they have no place being there. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Just get your cock out.

I'm not entirely sure why though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

? What the hell makes people do this?

Did you have a bag on the seat beside you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

If someone sits down beside simply turn to them smiling broadly and say:
    "Hi there,have you found room for Jesus in your heart?"

Works every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I hear ya OP.

For me, it's the Cinema where it bothers me most.

I have had people sit beside me when the place is empty.

What the fuck is wrong with people.

Also, people who tailgate in queues - need a taser up their arse.

The queue is not gonna move any quicker cause you're humping me you spoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

OutlawPete wrote: »
    I hear ya OP.

For me, it's the Cinema where it bothers me most.

I have had people sit beside me when the place is empty.

What the fuck is wrong with people.

Also, people who tailgate in queues, need a taser up the ass.

The queue is not gonna move any quicker cause your humping me you spoon.

Big hate of mine. This one gets my slow-motion-turnaround then stare at the turd behind me. I normally find myself with a bit more breathing space after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Yeah, annoys the feck out of me. Or people who sit real close to me when I'm eating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Yep, people invading my personal space annoys the **** out of me. The worst is people who get uncomfortably close when talking to you.

I hope you don't mind but I hover my mouse over your name when I read your posts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Just get your cock out.

I'm not entirely sure why though.

It's a bus not Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

cml387 wrote: »
    If someone sits down beside simply turn to them smiling broadly and say:
    "Hi there,have you found room for Jesus in your heart?"

Works every time

Not quite every time. Depending on my mood, I may try to out weird you on that one.

But bleh, complete lack of spacial awareness on some people is unreal. Had to queue in a post office one day to drop off some letters for work. And there was one guy behind me, he literally had his toes to my heels. Really, REALLY uncomfortable. D'ya know what I did about it? Nothing, I harumped, and moved to first available window.

Should've stabbed him. With love.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭BickNarry

Banned
    wobzilla1 wrote: »
    Allow me to make generalisations too

I'm looking at you black people

I'm confused.No generalisations about us,only foreigners?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Nevore wrote: »
    Should have started asking her had she heard the Good News.

Oooooh! I love good news!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

EDIT: I'm rubbish at this, is there a way I can just post the picture rather than the link?

Advertisement