Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring back Val Joyce

Options
  • 09-12-2010 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

I hope the new head of RTE R 1 gives the great val joyce a few shifts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

Kunle wrote: »
    I hope the new head of RTE R 1 gives the great val joyce a few shifts.

Are you having a laugh or what, the guy was literally falling asleep every night on Late Date...no wonder he was retired, very retired.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭todolist

Val Joyce,now there's a ghost from the past.He must be a hundred if he's a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think the rules in RTE have changed since but I used to have a major problem with pretty blatant conflicts of interest when certain RTE 'personalities' used to do paid voice ads. for events like race meetings, ads. which were played during the programme hosted by the same DJ who then proceeded to relentlessly plug the same event during the programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭Kunle

todolist wrote: »
    Val Joyce,now there's a ghost from the past.He must be a hundred if he's a day!

No he is only the same age as larry gogan. Val was a real one of a kind broadcaster with a great voice, i always thought he was better than larry gogan.

The way Lyric is going these days with the total diluting of their original remit/format, I wouldn't be one bit surprised if he turns up on a shift there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Lucozade man

A lot of those old guys val joyce, Brendan Balfe ect are not wanted by RTE anymore.

A lot of those old guys val joyce, Brendan Balfe ect are not wanted by RTE anymore.

In fairness Balfey is a class act and a true radio legend.

If RTE were any way serious about their digital services they'd have Balfey and others (except Joycey) on RTE Gold but then they'd have to pay for their services so I can't see that happening unless they offload Tubs to the BBC and use that €1m to invest in some decent presenters for RTE Gold.

The BBC or other broadcasters aren't interested in Tubridy.His management put out that story because they're negotiating his new pay packet from RTE.They want to create the impression he's in demand in England.The reality is he is a mediocre talent who's not in demand anywhere except RTE.This guy collect a huge inflated wage paid for by the TV Tax paid by every household in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭sudzs

Anyone else spotted this thread, read it and now has this jingle stuck in their head ? ... "Irelands choice... with Val Joyce!"

todolist wrote: »
    The BBC or other broadcasters aren't interested in Tubridy.His management put out that story because they're negotiating his new pay packet from RTE.They want to create the impression he's in demand in England.The reality is he is a mediocre talent who's not in demand anywhere except RTE.This guy collect a huge inflated wage paid for by the TV Tax paid by every household in Ireland.

Time will tell if you're correct.

Did RTE see Tubridy as "son and heir" of Gaybo? They were very much mistaken if they did.

Greybo, it seemed, owned the LLS, Tubridy is a mere presenter with no more involvment than that and it shows.

Gay Byrne should've headed to BBC when he had the chance, he would've been very successful and would've made buckets of cash and it wouldn't have taken an Oliver Barry to see to that.

• Advertisement

Big Tone wrote: »
    Time will tell if you're correct.

Did RTE see Tubridy as "son and heir" of Gaybo? They were very much mistaken if they did.

Greybo, it seemed, owned the LLS, Tubridy is a mere presenter with no more involvment than that and it shows.

Gay Byrne should've headed to BBC when he had the chance, he would've been very successful and would've made buckets of cash and it wouldn't have taken an Oliver Barry to see to that.
    "Time will tell if i'm correct". I'm correct.Tubrity is a medicore talent.The BBC wouldn't be interested in a regonal presenter like tubridy.His management agency put out that story in the hope of securing another inflated wage of 400+ thousand a year.Remember folks,this guys wages are paid by your TV tax of €160 per year.The BBC have no interest in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭cml387

A thread on Val joyce turns into another Tubridy bashing thread.:confused:

Airs and Races was a neat title for an afternoon of music and horse racing I always thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭LD

I always enjoyed Val's sleepy quality listening late at night.

LD wrote: »
    I always enjoyed Val's sleepy quality listening late at night.

He always mentioned what the Saint of the Day was.
    Nobody does that any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

I'm as fond of nostalgia as the next R1 listener but please, can we leave Val with his memories and his RTE pension?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Tapes

I'm as fond of nostalgia as the next R1 listener but please, can we leave Val with his memories and his RTE pension?

People need to know their facts before they speak, sadly Val got fùck all pension from RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Enda Murphy

Val Joyce is 81 years of age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Tapes wrote: »
    People need to know their facts before they speak, sadly Val got fùck all pension from RTE.

So!

Did the lad not make provision for his retirement like everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

He's got the perfect voice for late night radio. Low and husky. Must have gone through many a woodbine back in the day...mind you, that hasn't helped Finucane, sometimes it sounds like she's about to cough up a lung...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Anorak34c

Hard to believe its ten years since he got axed by anna leddy. Is he still alive i wonder ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Anorak34c wrote: »
    Hard to believe its ten years since he got axed by anna leddy. Is he still alive i wonder ?

Well they haven't told us that he died so that take for what it's worth :)

Just a thought; if Val still presented Late Date he'd be only beginning to play Christmas music tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭The Parish priest

I met him in booterstown about 5 or 6 years ago and he came across as pretty incoherent, was thinking he might have had early dementia or something the poor man. Speaking of Late Date it's a year already this week since Alfie "51551" McCarthy " retired"

I met him in booterstown about 5 or 6 years ago and he came across as pretty incoherent, was thinking he might have had early dementia or something the poor man. Speaking of Late Date it's a year already this week since Alfie "51551" McCarthy " retired"

I brought him out to Montrose a few times and he didn't exactly sound like a button back then either. Still, he was pleasant and extremely chatty.

Sorry to bring this one but if he was on air he'd be on day 2 of playing Christmas songs as the PDs are removing Christmas songs from their playlists 😊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Never Say Never Again

Everybody who has hosted late date since isn't fit to lick his boots.

Since this has been resurrected from days of yore, permit me to reminisce about my favorite ad that used to run at that time:

"Come to Barry's Hotel. You'll meet all the stars there, Louise Morrissey, Declan Nurney and Big Tom too. Monday night Margo, Tuesday it's Brendan Shine. Wednesday night we have Mick Flavin and Thursday night it's Nurse's dance with Hugo Duncan."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,201 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Val Joyce is a blast from the past.

I came across this video by his son ken, Val is talked about in the past tense? we were never told that he died ?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t1pFV3PmHaM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Val Joyce has died, according to Phil Cawley earlier on Twitter.

Advertisement