Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harmless bit of office fun

Options
  • 09-12-2010 3:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Basically I run a small business that employs about 25 people, 17 of whom are women. Now over the years the office has had a lax, laid-back atmosphere and thats the way I like my workplace. Over the years i've also had a bit of casual fun by giving some of the women a slap or pinch and the bottom now and then and they usually just laughed it off.

However a new girl in the office has said she finds this offensive and has threatened to leave if I ever do it again. I was only having a laugh. Do you think this girl is over reacting?.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Jimmy Joe wrote: »
    Basically I run a small business that employs about 25 people, 17 of whom are women. Now over the years the office has had a lax, laid-back atmosphere and thats the way I like my workplace. Over the years i've also had a bit of casual fun by giving some of the women a slap or pinch and the bottom now and then and they usually just laughed it off.

However a new girl in the office has said she finds this offensive and has threatened to leave if I ever do it again. I was only having a laugh. Do you think this girl is over reacting?.

She threatened to leave? She should sue you for sexual harrassment, I'm sure she could prove grounds easily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

One trolling thread about the exact same thing in AH not enough?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭microbio

No sorry I don't think she is over-reacting at all. It's highly offensive. She doesn't know you (you could be old enough to be her Dad for all we know) and you're pinching her bum whiel she's trying to carry coffee to her desk? It's a bit 'Carry On' for this day and age.
    It's sexual harassment, regardless of the way it's meant.
    have the other women laughed it off because they are afraid to lose their jobs or too afriad to say anything to you?
    If a new guy joined the team, would you do the same thing to him? If not then your actions are specifically targetting your female staff which doesn't look good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Jimmy Joe given a permanent vacation from the Ladies Lounge.

Judging by their other posts, this is not a genuine question so I'm locking the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Do you also do it to the men? If so, why not?

The answer should tell you whether it's sexual harassment or not.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement