Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Buildings? What are ye at?

Options
  • 08-12-2010 4:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭

Firstly, I must say I have always supported the Gardai, and defended them to my colleagues when uninformed criticisms were made.

However I am scratching my head lately with some of the decisions made by Gardai on duty outside Government buildings and Leinster House. Overkill seems to be the main method of policing.

I'm not referring to any slaps that were dished out to people trying to trespass etc. That is fine, though to the average joe, they think it is garda brutality, and the Garda PR machine is not working hard enough to give the Garda side.

But I cannot understand why, when someone makes a protest outside Leinster house, Huge teams of gardai arrive with lights and sirens to
    (a) arrest 1 man for presumably s4 Public order
    (b) remove all banners and posters from whatever structure he is using as soon as possible after his arrest.

I cannot think of any legislation that requires a member of AGS to remove any banner or slogan from public view immediately.
    Back in the 90s, the Anti Abortion crowd used to protest outside Michael Noonan's clinic in limerick, and their posters were as obscene as any, and the direction we had from on high was that we could not remove any poster, unless we had a complaint in writing from a member of the public who was offended by these posters.

I don't want to discuss further the Hoist user above, as his case is still going through the courts obviously. But in a broader sense, is there new legislation to remove any criticism of government from government buildings before the ministers wake up in the morning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

ive had s4 quoted at me before under the po act. what exactly is section 4 covering? seems to be a generic quote

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

*SNIP*
    However I am scratching my head lately with some of the decisions made by Gardai on duty outside Government buildings and Leinster House. Overkill seems to be the main method of policing.

*SNIP*

But I cannot understand why, when someone makes a protest outside Leinster house, Huge teams of gardai arrive with lights and sirens to
    (a) arrest 1 man for presumably s4 Public order
    (b) remove all banners and posters from whatever structure he is using as soon as possible after his arrest.

Any public protest outside the seat of government gets a large response. A seemingly small incident all too often becomes a large scale incident. Any Garda will tell you that.

I cannot think of any legislation that requires a member of AGS to remove any banner or slogan from public view immediately.
    Back in the 90s, the Anti Abortion crowd used to protest outside Michael Noonan's clinic in limerick, and their posters were as obscene as any, and the direction we had from on high was that we could not remove any poster, unless we had a complaint in writing from a member of the public who was offended by these posters.

Incitement to Hatred Act 1989

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1989/en/act/pub/0019/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

congo_90 wrote: »
    ive had s4 quoted at me before under the po act. what exactly is section 4 covering? seems to be a generic quote

Section 4, Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act.

Intoxication in a public place where you are a danger to yourself or others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

But isn't that act more for inciting hate against other races, creeds, genders etc rather than protesting against government policy? Was anything on the builders poster designed "to stir up hatred".
    Maybe I missed it, but I don't see a power of arrest either for having such items on display.

No offence but you seem to be clutching at straws.

No mention of that act here:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1208/1224285027624.html
    Mr McNamara, a former property developer, was taken to Dublin District Court yesterday morning where he was charged with dangerous driving.

Dangerous driving of a Parked Cherrypicker?

It's embarassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

It's embarassing.
    No it isn't.

Sec.53 RTA

''A person shall not drive a vehicle in a public place in a manner(including speed) which, having regard to all the circumstances of the case(including the conditions of the vehicle, the nature, condition and use of the place and the amount of traffic which then actually is or might reasonably be expected then to be therein) is dangerous to the public.''

• Advertisement

But I know this is a minor detail, and maybe things have changed since I was in templemore, but don't you need to be driving a vehicle to be guilty of dangerous driving.

It's embarassing.

As the matter is before the courts you will not get an answer from any member on this forum. Everything will come out once it goes to hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭stop

I'd agree that he should have been arrested for parking it there.
    I'm not so sure about AGS tearing down the posters though - really don't see any reason for that one.

foreign wrote: »
    As the matter is before the courts you will not get an answer from any member on this forum. Everything will come out once it goes to hearing.

In a hypothetical situsation even?

What about the posters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

stop wrote: »
    I'd agree that he should have been arrested for parking it there.
    I'm not so sure about AGS tearing down the posters though - really don't see any reason for that one.

There is, it's getting harder and harder not to believe that it was a political decision, and the gardai are using catch all legislation after the fact as a justification for taking down anti government posters immediately.

Does anyone seriously think that they would have torn down pro FF posters? No? I didn't think so.

Add to this the fact that two gardai were stationed outside FF hq. It is looking more and more like the policing arm of FF rather than serving the state.

I'm not aiming this at individuals on here, more at the gardai in general. But surely they see that with all the problems coming down the road that they are going to have to be seen to serve citizens of the state rather than a political party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

I'm not aiming this at individuals on here, more at the gardai in general. But surely they see that with all the problems coming down the road that they are going to have to be seen to serve citizens of the state rather than a political party.

Gardaí are out serving the citizens of the state every day of the week, all over the country.

cushtac wrote: »
    Gardaí are out serving the citizens of the state every day of the week, all over the country.

Sure, but I'm sure there were plenty of their Romanian counterparts in 1989 who said the same thing.

Better to be real police than securitate eh?

EDIT: The above may not apply 100% right now, but when faced with the choice what will you do?

Sure, but I'm sure there were plenty of their Romanian counterparts in 1989 who said the same thing.

EDIT: The above may not apply 100% right now, but when faced with the choice what will you do?

An Garda Siochana is the main branch of the State's security forces. Thererfore they must ensure the security of the State. The Government are elected by the majority to run the State, so Gardai are serving the people by ensuring the Government is not attacked/overthrown. AGS, like the Defence Forces, serve the State and as such, will not turn against it.

You are comparing this current situation to a revolution against a totalitarian President. Whether they like it or not, the people elected this current Government. Rather than lashing out at Gardai who are enforcing the law(as they swore to do), they should save their anger for polling day in 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

But I know this is a minor detail, and maybe things have changed since I was in templemore, but don't you need to be driving a vehicle to be guilty of dangerous driving.

The legislation requires the vehicle to be driven. I've no idea what the facts are in the case. All I know is vehicles don't fall from the sky and generally must be driven from one place to another.
    There is, it's getting harder and harder not to believe that it was a political decision, and the gardai are using catch all legislation after the fact as a justification for taking down anti government posters immediately.

Does anyone seriously think that they would have torn down pro FF posters? No? I didn't think so.

Add to this the fact that two gardai were stationed outside FF hq. It is looking more and more like the policing arm of FF rather than serving the state.

The Gardaí are stationed where trouble is likely. It's not hard to understand. If someone receives a threat it wouldn't be great policing to go and guard a random neighbour instead of the person who was threatened.
    congo_90 wrote: »

Where you drunk?

In regards to the legislation for removing the signs. I'm gonna go with the litter pollution act

Maybe that has to do with the offices of FF TD's being attacked recently? If FG offices were being attacked would there be a post on FG HQ? You bet there would be.

I'm actually surprised you didn't compare Gardaí to the SS :rolleyes:

Comparing the state and the Gardaí to that of Communist Romania, or any other totalitarian state, is idiotic and shows a complete lack of understanding of policing on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

eroo wrote: »
    Thererfore they must ensure the security of the State.

AGS, like the Defence Forces, serve the State and as such, will not turn against it.

But what happened in 1998 with the 'Blue Flu'?

Didn't this then escalate when the GRA further stated that Gardai would not issue speeding and parking tickets until they got what they wanted from the State?

dfbemt wrote: »

Didn't this then escalate when the GRA further stated that Gardai would not issue speeding and parking tickets until they got what they wanted from the State?

That was 12 years ago. It wasn't exactly a revolution either.

An Garda Siochana is the main branch of the State's security forces. Thererfore they must ensure the security of the State.

You're not honestly expecting anyone to believe that tearing down anti FF posters is a matter of state security are you?
    You are comparing this current situation to a revolution against a totalitarian President. Whether they like it or not, the people elected this current Government. Rather than lashing out at Gardai who are enforcing the law(as they swore to do), they should save their anger for polling day in 2011.

I had more in mind the parallels between a regime that lost any legitimacy it had in the eyes majority of the people but still desperately clings to power and the final days of Ceaucescu's Romania pre the revolution. As for the polling day, don't worry ;)

I also said we're not there yet (and I hope we don't ever get there) but the way things are going we're heading in that direction IMO. So I ask the rhetorical question is there a point beyond which you won't go in supporting the current regime, and if so have you clarified exactly what that is? I realise that everyone will have different answers to the above and that there are certain things you can't say in public so that's why the question is rhetorical.
    k_mac wrote:
    The Gardaí are stationed where trouble is likely. It's not hard to understand. If someone receives a threat it wouldn't be great policing to go and guard a random neighbour instead of the person who was threatened.
    Thanks k_mac that makes sense.
    cushtac wrote:
    I'm actually surprised you didn't compare Gardaí to the SS
    But why woud I do that? I came on here to engage in discussion on a particular point, not to call gardai ss. You may not like the questions I'm asking, or disagree with the points I make, but backhanded swipes like that won't make them go away.
    cushtac wrote:
    Comparing the state and the Gardaí to that of Communist Romania, or any other totalitarian state, is idiotic and shows a complete lack of understanding of policing on your part.

I can see you've taken offence at the analogy I've used which wasn't my intention, but I have outlined my reasons for that above. So I don't think there is a need to be defensive. Of course I could be misreading the tone of your answer, and if I have apologies.

As for a lack of understanding of policing, I'm one of the majority of people who don't deal with the gardai on a daily basis. So why would we be expected to have a complete understanding of policing, when what it involves isn't communicated to us effectively? This forum not included.

Anyway, I've said what I wanted to say on here. So good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

dfbemt wrote: »

People think that all Gardai called in sick on "Blue Flu" day. This wasnt the case, there was plenty of cover provided and as far as I recall the Gardai foiled an armed robbery in Co Wicklow that day.

Speeding and Parking tickets are issued at the discretion of individual Gardai, can honestly say I have never issued a speeding ticket myself anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,365 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the individual involved in the incident was out on bail and was in breach of bail. He is the same property developer who owes anglo 3.5 million and drove a cement truck in to the gates of leinster house.

ted1 wrote: »
    the individual involved in the incident was out on bail and was in breach of bail. He is the same property developer who owes anglo 3.5 million and drove a cement truck to the gates of leinster house.

Fixed.

Is everyone who is in breach of bail arrested so quickly? I think you'll find not.

Fixed.'

He hit the gates.
    Is everyone who is in breach of bail arrested so quickly? I think you'll find not.

They are if they're caught doing something stupid like he was.

You're not honestly expecting anyone to believe that tearing down anti FF posters is a matter of state security are you?

So I ask the rhetorical question is there a point beyond which you won't go in supporting the current regime, and if so have you clarified exactly what that is?

As for a lack of understanding of policing, I'm one of the majority of people who don't deal with the gardai on a daily basis. So why would we be expected to have a complete understanding of policing, when what it involves isn't communicated to us effectively? This forum not included.
    The posters were probably removed because the protesters did not have permission to put them up. But I'm not sure tbh.

It's not a regime, it's a democratically elected Govt. Gardai don't have to support the Govt's policies etc, but they do have to uphold the law.

That is exactly the point.. people slate the Gardai as 'Shells police' 'Fianna Fails police' etc, yet as you admit they have no understanding of policing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Not one convincing argument or reason for the posters being removed has been given in this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Not one convincing argument or reason for the posters being removed has been given in this thread.

You don't need a reason to put rubbish in the bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Locust

Are we talking about the posters or the placards with the sticks? Cause obviously angry protesters will use placard sticks as weapons - look at the troublemakers swinging them at police at the student protests in London last night.

Posters? I don't know perhaps they were directed to remove them for safety/security reasons as they could be obstructing the view/vision of other members of Gardai there, and i don't mean the guards in high viz at the gates - they aren't the only Gardai present. The rubbish/litter argument is also a convincing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭stop

k_mac wrote: »

In regards to the legislation for removing the signs. I'm gonna go with the litter pollution act

Paddypower.com posters were attached to half the lampposts on Merrion West when I walked it on Monday night, the posters were in election style, but offering odds on next Taoiseach etc. These posters were in full view of the AGS members stationed outside DOF & DOtT, but they were not removed. One rule for some, one for another?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

cushtac wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised you didn't compare Gardaí to the SS :rolleyes:

How about I compare them to the PSNI then?
    The RUC was a demonstrably skewed and corrupt entity. It took a major overhaul, still ongoing, to transform it into anything like a proper modern police force.
    The Gardai are also a demonstrably skewed and corrupt entity. Donegal and Abbeylara being only two examples. Recent scenes of overkill at protests evoke the old Robocop image from a few years ago and demonstrate that the Gardai are also in desperate need of a radical overhaul to become the sort of police force the PSNI now are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Locust wrote: »
    Are we talking about the posters or the placards with the sticks?
    No, posters attached to a cherry picker.
    Posters? I don't know perhaps they were directed to remove them for safety/security reasons as they could be obstructing the view/vision of other members of Gardai there, and i don't mean the guards in high viz at the gates - they aren't the only Gardai present.
    Hardly. I doubt they occupy the reading room of the National Library.
    The rubbish/litter argument is also a convincing one.
    You don't know what posters people are talking about but still use the word "convincing"?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement