Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UNIVERSAL SOCIAL CHARGE (USC)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Is the usc replacing prsi too?

No. PAYE and PRSI are still deducted separately.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

No. PAYE and PRSI are still deducted separately.

Oh I though the USC was replacing everything.

Oh I though the USC was replacing everything.

I think a few people thought that, you're not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is the usc replacing prsi too?
    The usc replaces the income levy and the Health portion of PRSI

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

Does anyone know if the change regarding Medical Card holders will apply in the same manner as the Income Levy? i.e. if you held a medical card for any time in the year (even just one day) you were exempt from the Income Levy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

@668Janet - Finance Act is now signed by President. So the cap applies for the full year, i.e. immediately.

@EggsAckley - The Act is silent on that but the wording of medical card cap is very similar to old provisions in Income Levy section so if that was the interpretation previously it is likely to be the same for the USC.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭EggsAckley

@668Janet - Finance Act is now signed by President. So the cap applies for the full year, i.e. immediately.

@EggsAckley - The Act is silent on that but the wording of medical card cap is very similar to old provisions in Income Levy section so if that was the interpretation previously it is likely to be the same for the USC.

Revenue have updated the faq and this is the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 HarvestAnne

Since the publication of the Finance Act, medical card holders will not have to pay the higher rate fo 7% for USC. They will be capped at 4%.
    Employers have been asked by Revenue to refund any overpayment made since January to these employees so they should get a refund if they have paid 7% USC on their pay in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So why do medical card holder get both the benefit of the card and the reduced rate of payment, that's not really fair is it?

So why do medical card holder get both the benefit of the card and the reduced rate of payment, that's not really fair is it?

Because they're poor. That's why they have the Medical Card in the first place.

• Advertisement

I understand your frustration but to be honest, this group of people have been really hard hit with the USC. PReviously they were exempt from the Health Levy (although some of them didn't know that and their employers deducted it from them anyway!) and Income Levy. Now they have to pay an additional 4% of their pay in USC.
    I suppose it's up to all of us to ensure that we're utilising all the tax credits and breaks that are available to us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

more likely just scroungers tbh.

I would be heavily in favour of abolishing the medical card.

Max Power 1 - that may be your opinion - until you get some illness like diabetes when you have to go and buy all the medication, equipment and syringes yourself! You might change your mind then!

Max Power 1 - that may be your opinion - until you get some illness like diabetes when you have to go and buy all the medication, equipment and syringes yourself! You might change your mind then!
    My asthma meds cost me upwards of €100-120.

I am not earning the "average industrial wage" but quite a bit under it, yet because I work (and pay taxes to fund these scroungers), I am not qualified for a medical card.

Max Power1 wrote: »

I am not earning the "average industrial wage" but quite a bit under it, yet because I work (and pay taxes to fund these scroungers), I am not qualified for a medical card.

Oi. Watch your mouth.

I'm not a scrounger. I work full time, in the same job for 5 years. I pay taxes. Between my wife and I our taxes have risen by ~ €200 a month as a result of Budget 2011. Our incomings are less due to a reduction in in Child Benefit.

We have a Medical Card because the law says we're entitled to one. Without it, my family would suffer worse financially than we already are, due to the mess this country's in.

So this image you seem to have of all those who have Medical Cards to be jobless leaches who are on the dole for fun and bleed the country dry any way they can is downright insulting. Grow up would you.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭susie05

So max power..My Husband works 40+ hours a week on **** money to try & keep a roof over our heads.. & i stay at home to look after 2 kids...One of whom is on meds & we Have a Medical card & without it we wouldnt be able to pay to get her meds or See gp otherwise,SO am i a scrounger??
    Talk about Being Narrow minded.

susie05 wrote: »
    So max power..My Husband works 40+ hours a week on **** money to try & keep a roof over our heads.. & i stay at home to look after 2 kids...One of whom is on meds & we Have a Medical card & without it we wouldnt be able to pay to get her meds or See gp otherwise,SO am i a scrounger??
    Talk about Being Narrow minded.
    Should have thought of that before having kids. Why dont you work? Why are my taxes (and those of other hardworking people) funding your sitting around all day?

Oi. Watch your mouth.

I'm not a scrounger. I work full time, in the same job for 5 years. I pay taxes. Between my wife and I our taxes have risen by ~ €200 a month as a result of Budget 2011. Our incomings are less due to a reduction in in Child Benefit.

We have a Medical Card because the law says we're entitled to one. Without it, my family would suffer worse financially than we already are, due to the mess this country's in.

So this image you seem to have of all those who have Medical Cards to be jobless leaches who are on the dole for fun and bleed the country dry any way they can is downright insulting. Grow up would you.
    Watch your mouth and grow up :rolleyes:

Just because something is permitted by law doesnt make it correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 djginger

does anyone know if part of the thinking behind the USC is to bulk up the VHI reserves to make it a viable insurance entity before it is fully privatised

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Hi Max.....

How do you know you are not qualified?

Is it possible that you actually applied to become one of these scroungers yourself, hence your knowledge regarding your eligibility?

BTW, I think most reasonable people here would support your qualification, and would be quite happy to see their Taxes used in such a fashion, if you are indeed earning less than the AIW, and your meds do cost €100-€120p/mth.

This is an intolerable financial burden on someone in your position.

HarvestAnne:

No point in giving misleading information here either.

Diabetics are entitled to a Long Term Illness Card, which covers all drugs and medical devices related to the disease, including syringes, etc.

The problem here is hat the list of illnesses which qualify for the LTI is quite restricted, and does not include Asthma, for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,074 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

djginger wrote: »
    does anyone know if part of the thinking behind the USC is to bulk up the VHI reserves to make it a viable insurance entity before it is fully privatised

No, the USC is nothing directly to do with the VHI.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,074 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Note that plenty of people have 100,000+ on deposit, and incomes of 1000 per week and have medical cards.

They are not poor, but they do have medical cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kgallake

Hi all to be blunt the USC is another way to increase the amount of stealth tax they take from me in a nut shell I paid 348 in deductions per month now I pay 410 euro per month in deductions an increase of 62 euro per month in the levys and taxes I have to pay to which i have now less money to spend in any retail outlet either for food /fuel or anything that keep the country moving the old/new goverment is taxing the workers to pay huge pay bill for the civil service and to pay back the Eu on all the loans and bailouts we now have.

The ecomony in failing because we have less working and more now on the dole and we have less to spend which lowers the revenue income for the goverment who have huge bills to pay as have all who have a mortage to pay or keep a roof over their head or try to pay, plus keep their job and have taken a wage cut of 20 to 25 percent to keep their jobs and now have the USC plus the increase in the cost of living.

I hope I have a job this time next year/month who knows as we have seen a huge down turn in work in the last two months where will it all end ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

Should have thought of that before having kids. Why dont you work? Why are my taxes (and those of other hardworking people) funding your sitting around all day?

I just noticed this statement here ..... are you serious or is this tongue in cheek?

a mother of two sitting around all day? you obviously have either no direct experience of childcare or have a totally blinkered view.

If only people who could comfortably afford to have children did, the country would be in a bigger mess in a few years .... there would be nobody around to work, to pay the taxes for your generation's pensions, public services etc ....

Also, with the cost of full time childcare, circa €800-1000 per child, a second parent working full time would have to earn much more than min wage, to be able to justify not being a full time stay at home parent.

I am a parent with one child, paying €1k per month childcare, before taxes I have to earn about €1500 per month to pay for this, as well as all the other expenses that go with being a parent.

Children are not a financial exercise, families and children were around long before economics and budgets .... to make a comment like you just made is outlandish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Hi Max.....

How do you know you are not qualified?

Is it possible that you actually applied to become one of these scroungers yourself, hence your knowledge regarding your eligibility?

BTW, I think most reasonable people here would support your qualification, and would be quite happy to see their Taxes used in such a fashion, if you are indeed earning less than the AIW, and your meds do cost €100-€120p/mth.

This is an intolerable financial burden on someone in your position.

HarvestAnne:

No point in giving misleading information here either.

Diabetics are entitled to a Long Term Illness Card, which covers all drugs and medical devices related to the disease, including syringes, etc.

The problem here is hat the list of illnesses which qualify for the LTI is quite restricted, and does not include Asthma, for example.

or Cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,396 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I make between €100 and €150/week as a part-time barman and I've so far this year paid almost €70 in this USC! Thats half a weeks wages almost! Meanwhile I tried to get a loan for a car recently and the bank wouldn't give me one, yet my contribution (not single-handedly, obviously) is bailing them out of hot water! B******t!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Can everyone please start referring to the USC by pronouncing the letters. It sounds something along the lines of "You Suck"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I lose between 30/40 a week on the USC. Working extra hours now does literally fcuk all to my end of week wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

I lose between 30/40 a week on the USC. Working extra hours now does literally fcuk all to my end of week wages.
    amen to that, i avoid extra work at all costs( unfortunately not always possible ), why should i work harder to give the government more money for banks than i get from the deal and its me who is working?

• Advertisement
Advertisement