Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI having ATM network issues. Don't be left stuck this evening. - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Isn't today Cantona's "withdraw all your money" day??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

murrayp4 wrote: »

Yes you are right, it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    don't panic

everything is under control

in all honesty bigger the fool the person who still has money in Irish banks, you get what's coming to you for voting FF and now believing to their lies.
    unreal how people are so gormless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

You don't need proof of residence to open a bank account in germany? Sweet...

ooh ya forgot about that, yes you do!! You have to register with the town hall and you need a lease agreement to do that! You can't open a bank account without your passport and town-hall-register-sheet

Sorry, but we are unable to process your request at present.
    Please try again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

So try again...... :rolleyes:

Kiera wrote: »
    So try again...... :rolleyes:
    not you again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Not working for me either.. Stupid site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I still don't have any money. :(
    These threads make be feel bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Was just about to post that.
    Coincidence, eh?
    Maybe BOI were taking precautionary measures?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

ooh ya forgot about that, yes you do!! You have to register with the town hall and you need a lease agreement to do that! You can't open a bank account without your passport and town-hall-register-sheet
    Not if you tell them you don't live in Germany, as I understand it. Just bring proof of your address in Ireland.

There's a long and winding thread about this on the Property Pin.

http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30716&hilit=wedge+on+the+edge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

When the seagulls go to the ATM, it's because they think sardines will be dispensed into the street.

Not if you tell them you don't live in Germany, as I understand it. Just bring proof of your address in Ireland.

There's a long and winding thread about this on the Property Pin.

http://www.thepropertypin.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=30716&hilit=wedge+on+the+edge

Hmm no idea after that tbh all i know is I'm with Deutsch Bank and that's what I had to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lilahelena

Its on the rte news website that BOI is having computer problems but Im sure you can use atm's from other banks ??

lilahelena wrote: »
    Its on the rte news website that BOI is having computer problems but Im sure you can use atm's from other banks ??

from the 365 website- this just went up:

IMPORTANT CUSTOMER MESSAGE: MAJOR IT ISSUE
    Bank of Ireland confirms that an unforeseen technical issue has impacted some of our operating systems this morning and our telephone and online banking services are currently unavailable. However, all branches are open and operating as normal but with a temporary restricted cash service. All ATMs are operating normally but with a restricted cash service for Bank of Ireland cardholders. Some customers may be unable to conduct point-of-sale transactions but Bank of Ireland credit card transactions are unaffected. We apologise to our customers for any inconvenience they are experiencing and wish to assure them that we are working with our IT partners to ensure that all services are reinstated as a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

Bank of Ireland confirms that an unforeseen technical issue has impacted some of our operating systems this morning and our telephone and online banking services are currently unavailable. However, all branches are open and operating as normal but with a temporary restricted cash service. All ATMs are operating normally but with a restricted cash service for Bank of Ireland cardholders. Some customers may be unable to conduct point-of-sale transactions but Bank of Ireland credit card transactions are unaffected. We apologise to our customers for any inconvenience they are experiencing and wish to assure them that we are working with our IT partners to ensure that all services are reinstated as a priority.
    no lunch for the IT staff then

Pure sh!te talk

Banks use multiple datacentres with a huge degree of redundancy. You could literally drop a bomb on one and the system would keep functioning, because all the data is kept in several locations, and whichever one handles a request - ATM withdrawal, bank transfer, direct debit or whatever - automatically sends the data to the others. If they don't respond, it keeps it until they do.

For everything to go down, to me, is inexplicable. They have multiple data connections, multiple power sources, multiple parallel servers, which allow one (or several) of them to be taken off-line without impacting users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭D e e

Conspiracy theory ahead - maybe they did this so nobody could withdraw their money like Mr Cantona suggested?

D e e wrote: »
    Conspiracy theory ahead - maybe they did this so nobody could withdraw their money like Mr Cantona suggested?
    Well people took out 10 billion already from boi, so i don't see why it is a ct.
    The banks are broke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I also reckon the forsaw a 'busy' day ahead and decided to pull the plug just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Absurdum wrote: »
    I heard BoI collapsed and are keeping your money.

They are welcome to all my dealings with them!! Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

digme wrote: »
    Well people took out 10 billion already from boi, so i don't see why it is a ct.
    The banks are broke.

Think something similar happened AIB a few years back, so it isn't unheard of.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

Pure sh!te talk

Banks use multiple datacentres with a huge degree of redundancy. You could literally drop a bomb on one and the system would keep functioning, because all the data is kept in several locations, and whichever one handles a request - ATM withdrawal, bank transfer, direct debit or whatever - automatically sends the data to the others. If they don't respond, it keeps it until they do.

For everything to go down, to me, is inexplicable. They have multiple data connections, multiple power sources, multiple parallel servers, which allow one (or several) of them to be taken off-line without impacting users.

Despite all of this, it seems they've missed a single point of failure somewhere.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I bet one of the cleaning staff just unplugged the server so they could hoover.

They'll get it back working in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Tyler Durden and the Space Monkeys strike again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Pure sh!te talk

While they certainly will have a backup datacentre, it's also possible that the systems in this are offline until required (different banks will operate different policies on this front). It could quite easily take a full working day to roll over from one datacentre to another even if the systems are up to date but not readily available. What I heard earlier on was that their mainframe was off the air, that will effectively bring many of the banks other systems to the point of uselessness. It's unfortunate, but it is also explicable.

[edit]
    Don't work for BOI, just trying to point out how, even with DR systems in place, an entire banking system can appear off air. Obviously, the timescale for recovery I mentioned above is an example, and nothing to do with BOI or their policies/timeframes.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Absurdum wrote: »
    I heard BoI collapsed and are keeping your money.

meh, I have about six euro in my account at the mo (very poor student). Stupid atms won't let me take out fivers:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

What's that about never losing your job if you go with IBM... the last HP guy out must have turned the lights (computer) off :eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2010/1102/1224282487983.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Töpher wrote: »
    While they certainly will have a backup datacentre, it's also possible that the systems in this are offline until required (different banks will operate different policies on this front). It could quite easily take a full working day to roll over from one datacentre to another even if the systems are up to date but not readily available. What I heard earlier on was that their mainframe was off the air, that will effectively bring many of the banks other systems to the point of uselessness. It's unfortunate, but it is also explicable.

You're not fooling anyone mate. That exactly what somebody who wants to clear out their account before the rest of us would say.

/ Runs down to local branch with bin bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭Töpher

Jesus, I wouldn't need an empty crisp packet to store all my money, never mind a flamin' bin bag!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement