Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland (365online / ATM) issues anyone else?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭3DataModem

How is it 100% the banks fault when you knowingly withdraw money over your limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 36085

The bank im sure will be able to get most of the money back from the over 18s by just overdrawing the accounts, but i dont think u can do that to a minor, and the machines i saw had at least 50 young people queing in raheny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

They cant take back whatever amount of money if the person has not been using the account, they'll have to chase them down with letters, on the nevernever list.

People regularly using their account? They probably will. Dont know if there's some legal thing about that tho as it's 100% the bank's fault. As it always is.
    They must be going bust altogether, what do you think???

What part of the country you in???

Very sensible to taint your credit history for the sake of a few hundred quid... Very sensible.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Qwert1

3DataModem wrote: »
    How is it 100% the banks fault when you knowingly withdraw money over your limit?

Because...ummmm...Banks suck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Those people are idiots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭lippy88

OK so what is the outcome if i were to close my account tomorrow morning!!?I already have an AIB account which i could use...errr mayb!!!?
    And tainting my credibility is not an issue as the country is fcked anyway and i will leave this country when i graduate 4m college!
    I think the fairest outcome of this would be if the people got their 200 euro!! d banks have been bumming us far too long!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

lippy88 wrote: »
    OK so what is the outcome if i were to close my account tomorrow morning!!?I already have an AIB account which i could use...errr mayb!!!?
    And tainting my credibility is not an issue as the country is fcked anyway and i will leave this country when i graduate 4m college!
    I think the fairest outcome of this would be if the people got their 200 euro!! d banks have been bumming us far too long!!!!!

Is this what they mean by the brain drain. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

You have to go in and sign to close the account and it takes a couple of days to do. The banks do this so any payments that have to come out will show on the account and they can charge you for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

RonMexico wrote: »
    Is this what they mean by the brain drain. :rolleyes:

Abuse of the English language? With typing skills like that, I don't think lippy88 will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

stepbar wrote: »
    Eh no they don't... Each and every account will be debited. If the person had insufficient funds it becomes their problem.

The behaviour of some people is absolutely scandalous.

well thats just there tough aint it i could not care less anyhow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭lippy88

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1207/bankofireland.html

So they force us into withdrawing an overdraft of 200euro and den charge interest on this!! How can this be allowed!!Sickening!!
    Was probably their own idea to start givin free money...i supose its wot deyv bin doing the last few years and now demanding extra!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

So they force us into withdrawing an overdraft of 200euro and den charge interest on this!! How can this be allowed!!Sickening!!
    Was probably their own idea to start givin free money...i supose its wot deyv bin doing the last few years and now demanding extra!!!!!!

Are you actually serious?

ITS NOT YOUR MONEY.

YOU KNOW ITS NOT YOUR MONEY.

YOU WERE NOT FORCED INTO WITHDRAWING THIS MONEY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Don't feed the Troll......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

How did they force you?

There is no emoticon with a big enough grin... but this will do :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Ehh, never mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Threads merged (again).

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

So let me get this right, idiots think they can get free money and are swarming to BoI ATMs? Better not have taken it all out, I need to get 20 quid out that I actually own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 apate

Just walked past boi Blanch, all the eastern europeans are swarming round the thing but its out of service :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Oh Jesus stop please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

So we were wondering...will BOI just withdraw 200 from their accounts when they next get work payment(every wednesday)???

Of course, there's no such thing as free money. They can also expect a €10 charge for overdrawing their account without an overdraft agreement in place.

Anyone that thought they were getting free money today is an idiot. Even if the machine couldn't tell the account balance at the time, the bank still knows who's account was used, and who to charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I was in liffey valley shopping, I put €40 in and €600 came out. Im only 16 so if they do find out can they still charge me back. (When I was signing up I was told that I could not go into unauthorized overdraft)

I had €200 in it at the time, this was before I knew about everything !!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭SupraSonic26

How they going to catch people who dont use the account anymore and they dont live at the regiestered address anymore like my friend, he took out 700 so what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

They cant take back whatever amount of money if the person has not been using the account...
    ... Dont know if there's some legal thing about that tho as it's 100% the bank's fault. As it always is.

How is it the bank's fault if people are trying to rob them? Of course they will go after the money. And the people (criminals if they intentionally tried to rob money) will be hit with overdrawn charges & surcharge interest etc as well.

Nobody forced anybody to withdraw money they don't have. Anybody withdrawing money in the hope that their account wouldn't be debited is carrying out the criminal act of theft. I think they should consider themselves lucky they are only facing minor fees and charges.

P.S. Please, for everybody's sake - learn to user the full keyboard. Not everyone here is a 10 year old.
    How they going to catch people who dont use the account anymore and they dont live at the regiestered address anymore like my friend, he took out 700 so what happens.
    He stole €700? And you consider him a friend? I'm sure they will be able to track him down eventually. Although they probably won't get the guards involved for PR reasons, I personally would very much be in favour of criminal charges being brought against the thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

All ATMs are monitored by CCTV. The bank will have his name, picture and a former address.

I imagine anyone who deliberately set out to defraud the bank of a significant amount of money will be reported to the Gardai.

Typical idiots, completely taking the piss. If your friend had taken out €100 or €200, the bank might have ignored it and written it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

People tonight are getting nothing more than an unauthorised overdraft. Simple.

This happens to hundreds of people everyday...
    If I have €100 in my account I can normally get €150 from any ATM in a SPAR or Centra, because its not a live system everywhere. Its a system that practically just goes 'This card okay for some cash?'
    Yes = Dispenses Money | No = Dispenses Card

For example, If I use my Laser card in my local shop my bank may not even know about it until midnight when the machine polls (sends all the transactions to the bank for processing). If I have no money in my account I go overdrawn - My fault.

People using ATMS tonight are doing something similar, the machines are just authorising the transaction without being able to check the balance. Kind of a leap of faith on the policy of the bank.

The results of hitting an ATM tonight...

1) Your next pay day wont be a happy one. The overdraft you took tonight will the taken back along with the penalty of a couple of euro.

2) You'll be in the banks bad books. They WILL come looking for the money should you not pay back.

3) If you dont pay back your credit history will be tarnished. You've esentally not repayed a bank loan. Thats the bottom line.

4) VISAs - You wont get either kind. If you plan on leaving Ireland, this WILL come up in the VISA application that you have an outstanding debt. You'll be declined and wont be laughing all the way to 'Bank of Oz'... Sorry.

That is all :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

He'll never get a bank loan again.
    Credit Card wont be reissued.

MAYBE Criminal Charges if the bank wanna go down that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭uncanny

4 Finally, If you plan on leaving Ireland anyway, this will come up in a VISA application. If you have an outstanding debt, you wont get a VISA.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Gotta Love this - "the banks gave me money they shouldn't have, even though I asked for it - I shouldn't have to give it back" but it's on an ATM level, rather than Mortgage or personal loans.

What a difference from the daily stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

What surprised me is that the rumours of what was happening we're spreading like wildfire - inline, text and twitter. Surely, some BoI officials must have got wind. If the ATMs were not on the network could an official not gone in and pulled the plug?

There's going to be a lot of people in for a shock tomorrow. When all these machines come back online and start updating all the accounts that made withdrawals. Then again people have the option to go in and deposit the money back again. The money will be taken off your next deposit - pay check, social welfare payment...

As for cutting up your card and hoping to vanishing forget it. You've given the bank clear evidence that you stole the money. My brother used to work in the debt collection dept. of a major bank, they all use third party "tracers" who will track people down to the ends of the world. They had a guy tracking a guy across Australia for a €7,000 credit card bill. Doubt if they'll legally chase someone for a €200 withdrawal but those who went to the well a few times are probably going to get collared.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭thelongfellow

stepbar wrote: »
    Oh, so on top of everything else branch staff do, crowd control should be included....

Go pick yourself up a Darwin award :rolleyes:

Yeah their arms must be sore from moving all that paper around their desk. You must be the union rep for your branch yeah? Considering staff were dumb enough to keep pushing mortgages onto people who couldn't afford them which led us to the mess the Irish banking system is in. Considering no staff bothered to speak about the lack of regulation, the off-book accounting going on, the fraudulent activities.

Go pick up your P45. You and your ilk are a disgrace.

Advertisement