Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Irish a Dead Language?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

orourkeda wrote: »
    It's on life support at best.

Dead in real terms

Real terms? Such as you not speaking it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Real terms? Such as you not speaking it?

Perhaps it's the fact that a thread about the irish language has to be conducted in english for anyone to participate. Start one in irish there so everyone else can ignore you as they'll neither care nor understand. We'll soon see how ALIVE the irish language is.

Perhaps it's the fact that a thread about the irish language has to be conducted in english for anyone to participate. Start one in irish there so everyone else can ignore you as they'll neither care nor understand. We'll soon see how ALIVE the irish language is.

Why would I do that, there is an all Irish forum, its a sub-forum of AH, But I already know that they know Irish is not dead, hence this thread, find out if everyone else can stare facts in the face, Facts like Irish being alive and well.

Anyway there is alot more Irish in the OP than English:D

Why would I do that, there is an all Irish forum, its a sub-forum of AH, But I already know that they know Irish is not dead, hence this thread, find out if everyone else can stare facts in the face, Facts like Irish being alive and well

Anyway there is alot more Irish in the OP than English:D

Talk about the dead language in there then.

Talk about the dead language in there then.

Why? What has you so up tight about Irish anyway?
    Your funny, you insist that Irish is dead despite the fact that it clearly is not.:D

• Advertisement

Why? What has you so up tight about Irish anyway?
    Your funny, you insist that Irish is dead despite the fact that it clearly is not.:D

I hate the irish language. It's a language that is poorly taught, not widely spoken, is a waste of resources and is utterly irrelevant to the lives of the majority of irish citizens.

I hate the irish language. It's a language that is poorly taught, not widely spoken, is a waste of resources and is utterly irrelevant to the lives of the majority of irish citizens.

Do you hate many irrelevant things? Like Fluff?
    I agree, it is badly taught, that dosent make it dead though.;)

Do you hate many irrelevant things? Like Fluff?
    I agree, it is badly taught, that dosent make it dead though.;)

I didnt get fluff rammed down my throat in school for 13 years and emerge with no working knowledge of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

OP, you wrote your question in English. We replied in English.

QED.

Confab wrote: »
    OP, you wrote your question in English. We replied in English.

QED.

Your point being? Boards members not speaking Irish dose not make Irish a dead language dose it? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

No it's not dead. It just smells funny.

I didnt get fluff rammed down my throat in school for 13 years and emerge with no working knowledge of it.

Ok, But that still dosent make Irish a dead language, and no matter how many times you say Irish is dead it dosent make it true, or any closer to being true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Deise, you have no argument. You have presented nothing worthwhile besides the few links at the beginning of the thread to try and say Irish isn't dead.

It is very dead. I never use Irish outside of school. 99% of Irish citizens will agree with me and attest to that. It's dead. It has no remaining use and the sooner the better we let it slip away and start concentrating on teaching the youth something that might actually be of use..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

fcuking hell.. define dead then?! all these emoticons are highly irritating, winkedy fcukin wink :mad:

humberklog wrote: »
    No it's not dead. It just smells funny.

It dident until you came along. So now, Did you shower this morning?:p

Ok, But that still dosent make Irish a dead language, and no matter how many times you say Irish is dead it dosent make it true, or any closer to being true.

Irish is as dead as a doornail.

Quite simple. As I've mentioned the Irish language has no impact on or relevance to the vast majority of irish peoples lives

Deise, you have no argument. You have presented nothing worthwhile besides the few links at the beginning of the thread to try and say Irish isn't dead.

Oh, Ok.

The accepted definition of a dead language is a language with no remaining native speakers, Ie people who grew up speaking the language, Irish has tens of thousands of native speakers so is therefore not dead.:)

Irish is as dead as a doornail.

Quite simple. As I've mentioned the Irish language has no impact on or relevance to the vast majority of irish peoples lives

Not true, and even if it was that dosent make it dead.;)

It dident until you came along. So now, Did you shower this morning?:p

http://images.contentreserve.com/ImageType-200/0857-1/%7BF64E8638-B204-413D-BCBE-7BAAD94633C2%7DImg200.jpg

Oh, Ok.

The accepted definition of a dead language is a language with no remaining native speakers, Ie people who grew up speaking the language, Irish has tens of thousands of native speakers so is therefore not dead.:)

well if you knew that then why start a thread on it? :confused:

• Advertisement

Oh, Ok.

and hundreds of thousands of non speakers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

Thats nice, has nothing to do with the Irish language being dead though.:P

and hundreds of thousands of non speakers

And? Its not a question of ratio. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

2 things not worth discussing on Boards anymore:
    Religion and Irish. Done. To. Death.

well if you knew that then why start a thread on it? :confused:

To see how many people will claim that Irish is dead despite the fact that it isent

Thats nice, has nothing to do with the Irish language being dead though.:P

Yes its a book cover.

To see how many people will claim that Irish is dead despite the fact that it isent

ok, so, you started a thread to tell people they were wrong? er... ok

This is conclusive proof imo.

Its the unabridged version too.

• Advertisement

ok, so, you started a thread to tell people they were wrong? er... ok

Not specifically, Just to see how many would vote yes, then someone said that I had nothing to back up my argument so I responded.

Advertisement