Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time Investigates on Southill now

Options
  • 06-12-2010 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

There's a Prime Time Investigates special at the moment on about joyriding dickheads making people's lives miserable in Southill.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

God help those people having to live with those scumbags. We should have military service for these thugs. Knock them into shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

very very sad programme, and only in the road from me.... :(

as for the scumbags, what comes out of a crows egg, only another crow...

There was nothing for me to do where I grew up either, but I didn't go robbing....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

seachto7 wrote: »
    There was nothing for me to do where I grew up either, but I didn't go robbing....

That's what really bothers me.. They say oh shure what hope do we have, there's no work, no opportunities, "nothing else to do but rob"... They are given 200 euro every week by the state, without having to work a day.. And they have the whole week to apply for jobs, or try and better themselves if they wish...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭moonboy52

I knew it was bad in Southill, but damn it is pretty shocking and is certainly an eye-opener.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Another (yawn) "fine" production by the RTE Entertainment/Drama Dept.

Becoming a twice yearly event now. . . "The Limerick Files"

When can we have a similar programme based on some of the going's-on

from a deprived area of Dublin? A little variety and balance would be nice.

I mean.....haven't they got young deprived criminals and thugs there too?

J.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

seachto7 wrote: »
    very very sad programme, and only in the road from me.... :(

Depressing stuff all right. You're right too about the "there's nothing for us to do" excuse.
    tippman1 wrote: »

Becoming a twice yearly event now. . . The Limerick Files"

J.

So would you prefer if RTE buried their heads in the sand and ignored Limerick's problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Southill should always be getting the flack Moyross did, it's truly awful up there. I feel horrible for these people living in fear.

These scumbags are truly disgusting and are clearly in need of rehabilitation, they have no mind for themselves. Only living in what they think they should be.

I was thinking that as well, why another programme on Limerick. But at least they are showing normal people who are the victims, as well as the scum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Teclo

Where is the 82nd Airborne when you need them? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

this is mental viewing....and im from tallaght.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Resi12

Nozebleed wrote: »
    this is mental viewing....and im from tallaght.

Please do not think this is a general view of Limerick, just certain areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Teclo wrote: »
    Where is the 82nd Airborne when you need them? :(

Trying to restore order to Raheen and Dooradoyle, seemingly those places are the real hellholes in Limerick (judging by the posts on here anyhow).

We need to stop viewing the four estates as homogenous entities, imo. It is, imo, far easier to solve the issues west of the Shannon in Moyross and Thomondgate.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

good god!! was it always that bad?

when did the rot set in??

So would you prefer if RTE buried their heads in the sand and ignored Limerick's problems?

But they've shown Southill/Moyross now on several progorammes.

When did we have a similar documentary focussed on areas of say, Cork, or Dublin? It always seems to be Limerick IMHO.

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

But they've shown Southill/Moyross now on several progorammes.

When did we have a similar documentary focussed on areas of say, Cork, or Dublin? It always seems to be Limerick IMHO.

J.

I'm from Coolock and while parts of it are awful,this makes it look like Disney land!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I don't know. My own opinion is that programmes like this, by keeping the spotlight on the problems, might go some way to help towards finding solutions to these problems being kept high on the political agenda.

They are going to follow it up on The Frontline later...

honestly...im in shock after watching that program. every honest person living in those estates should just up sticks and leave.

fryup wrote: »
    good god!! was it always that bad?

when did the rot set in??

There are/were two types of people in council housing estates a)the ones who want to get out and b) the ones who want to get hand-outs.

Over the years, the ones who wanted to get out, did get out. They made sure their kids had a good education/trade etc. You'll find their kids in the estates near the council estates, the fine, middle-class areas from Castletroy to Clareview. Every year more and more good people leave the estates. That's the function of the estates, they aren't meant to be homes for successive generations.

The ones who want to live on handouts are the ones who no one knows how to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭shoppergal

God this program made me sick. Feel so sorry for the older women who really have no way out.

When you have little crapheads saying they don't care if they go to prison cos it'll be the taxpayer who pays for them to be there it just makes my blood boil.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

J.
    I dont think there are any areas in Dublin nearly this bad. Shocking stuff.

CiaranC wrote: »

It's hard to compare but I think you could find areas in Ballymun, Jobstown, Finglas etc that you could make the same documentary. You always have to remember that the estates are a small part of a city of 90,000 people.

If you don't mind me saying so, that's bullsh*t.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

I'd like to take a f*cking flame thrower to that place and the scum infecting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

J.

maybe you should look on your own doorstep, from what I hear Tipp town isn't exactly heaven on earth lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

It's hard to compare but I think you could find areas in Ballymun, Jobstown, Finglas etc that you could make the same documentary. You always have to remember that the estates are a small part of a city of 90,000 people.
    Maybe parts of Finglas, yeah. The likes of Ballymun and Jobstown are nothing like they used to be though. The Government obviously hasnt invested in these parts of Limerick to anything like the same level.

Maybe parts of Finglas, yeah. The likes of Ballymun and Jobstown are nothing like they used to be though. The Government obviously hasnt invested in these parts of Limerick to anything like the same level.

Well it depends, I could grab a camera and make a documentary about how two Munster rugby players (Keith Earls and Declan Cusack) are from Moyross and Kileely. I could show the new Thomond Park on the edge of Moyross, the campus of Limerick Institute of Technology on the edge of Moyross etc. Make a really feel good docu about the changing nature of Moyross etc.

The problem with these productions is they show one side or the other. There is massive problems in the estates, but they are fixable problems, we shouldn't start viewing them as permanent or unsolveable.

I'm pretty sure there are several areas of any of the main cities where similar deprivation exists, along with similar antisocial issues worthy of a Prime Time
    expose, but the media - mainly RTE, have constantly highlighted Limerick's plight
    along with some very creative and professional camera-work, to create the impression that Southill resembles Saigon or Beirut. A good camera-angle tells a thousand words.

The same effects - burning cars, breaking glass, shouting, swearing etc. could be applied to any similar estate in any city in Ireland.

And I'm not being paranoid here. I'm not even from Limerick even though I live here.

J.

i think people from tallaght will look at this and be astonished how bad limerick has become. it would'nt happen in tallaght. it was a bit dodgy years ago with joyriders and the like..but then we got the square! no all the kids hang out there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Absolutely disgraceful stuff, whilst i knew things were bad, i had not imagined the wild west. Jesus Christ what are local representatives doing, WTF is this Regional development Board up to (**** all apart from a few children's playgrounds), what are the Gardai up too (its not so long ago we witnessed armed patrols on the streets in limerick, by all accounts these patrols should have been in the estates and stayed there). I could not help but be cynical at the arrival of a Garda car outside Mc Carthys house, could this have been the surveillance camera spotting the RTE crew?

What i fail to understand is why the authorities are not bulldozing every house that has been abandoned, indeed the one beside Mc Carthys house included. I am sure there are thousands of unemployed construction workers who would relish the opportunity to go into these Kips and demolish every single abandoned property. In the mean time get Limerick Co Council off its arse, finish some ghost estates and re house the few decent people remaining.

That little thug thanking tax payers for looking after him while in prison.

Time to demolish these estates and leave the remaining scumbags behind (seems to me everyone clearly knows who they are), it would be interesting to see how long they would last intimidating their own kind.

Final comment for the So Called tough Justice Minister Ahern, i hope he had time to watch this program! Shame on him!

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement