Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Make your own Christmas Prezzies!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

No, it's not too hot at all. It's like a thick sweet chilli sauce, the nicest one you can imagine!!! I have it with everything- salad, quiche, pate, chicken, in stir frys, chips/ wedges etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Just read through the whole thread and all I can say is yum can't wait to try some of these recepies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Just had a look through Nigellas book - omg star topped mince pies, Christmas rocky road, cranberry and White chocolate cookies! Bring it ON!!

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

I know the thread is probably aimed at saving money around Christmas time but I'm currently trying to think of extra people I can give presents to, I'm that eager to try all the recipes out!

The hampers look amazing! Can't wait to start practicing the recipes and buying pretty boxed and jars:o

Argh, girliness overload!:o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

Stargazer have to agree with you, I was just thinking bout this thread the other day and who i normally give food pressies to.

So am going to start doing trial runs of a lot of these recipes vv soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Gonna do a trial run of the chilli Jam and lemon curd tmw.

Does anyone know if I could use white wine vingear instead of the cider vinger just for the trial in the chilli jam.

Also, any barigans on Kilnger jars going?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Ophiopogon wrote: »
    Gonna do a trial run of the chilli Jam and lemon curd tmw.

Does anyone know if I could use white wine vingear instead of the cider vinger just for the trial in the chilli jam.

Also, any barigans on Kilnger jars going?

I wouldn't mess with the recipe, to be honest. It's simple and lovely as it is.

Oh yeah, its just that I wanted to try it out tmw and and i've no more food money left for the week. Oh well just have to try and find another recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭fitzcoff

I wouldn't use the the cider vinegar it is a lot sharper in taste than the white wine vinegar.

Just as a note, I find the COOKS Range in supervalue the cheapest for wine and cider vinegar. It comes in 500ml bottles.

So than would the white wine vingear do? Its actually white Balsamic vingear which is basically wwv.

• Advertisement

So than would the white wine vingear do? Its actually white Balsamic vingear which is basically wwv.

Sorry I read it the other way round in your first post, I thought you wanted to use the vinegars the other way around, I'd go ahead, if it's horrible you know not to do it again.

I made the chili jam last year and would recommend that you use jam sugar, the one with added pectin or else add a bottle of pectin to the jam if using ordinary sugar otherwise it might not set

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

I can't believe this has been brought up already :eek:

I really want to try to make the gingerbread house, can't think of an excuse though for just myself and hubbie. Maybe I could make a haunted house for Hallowe'en lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I have just made a batch of beetroot pickle for the christmas gifts (having done this last year as a result of this thread).

I made a test jar and everyone loved it and its a beautiful christmassy colour.

For anyone on a budget you can get beetroot really, really cheaply at the moment (aldi were selling it vacuum packed for 35p for 4!!). As its vacuum packed you can keep it until nearer christamas to make as it has a really long shelf life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

This thread has me so excited about Christmas!!

Dinkie, could you share your beetroot pickle recipe??

I need to start collecting some jars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

tfak85 wrote: »
    This thread has me so excited about Christmas!!

Dinkie, could you share your beetroot pickle recipe??

I need to start collecting some jars!

No probs - but will be later on in the week as am away until then.

I'm glad I've decided to practice first....I was following two different recipes for the lemon curd and somehow some of the whites have cooked solid in the curd :eek:. Tastes lovely if you don't mind it white globs!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I'm glad I've decided to practice first....I was following two different recipes for the lemon curd and somehow some of the whites have cooked solid in the curd :eek:. Tastes lovely if you don't mind it white globs!!

You had the heat too high. You can strain out the lumps this time; it should still taste good.

I did the same thing last year :D I didn't try it again, I might try it again though this year as it did taste beautiful

Yeah sieving it would have been the smart thing to do but I just poured it straight in to the Jars. It's grand tough as it only makes 2 jars and they are just for this house so we can pick out bits.

I had been looking at nigel slater recipe and he cooks it over boiling water which I think I will do next time as my cooker runs very hot so I think it would be easier to control that way. ah well.

For anyone living in the Limerick area you can get Kilner jars in town in Guineys (but they are kinda big), they're also in the Euro shop on William St for €1 each.

@ Dinkie I have a beetroot chutney recipe if that is similar to the one you have that I can post later on if you want?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭proulx

Beetroot chutney yes please
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

namurt wrote: »

I really want to try to make the gingerbread house, can't think of an excuse though for just myself and hubbie. Maybe I could make a haunted house for Hallowe'en lol

Perhaps make mini Gingerbread houses as gifts? You'll miss out on the detail of the windows, but if you're handy with an icing bag you could pipe them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 laurah

This thread has really got me inspired.
    Would love to try some of these recipes out.
    MIL is diabetic so jams are out i guess, others I can substitute the sugar for splenda right?

Beetroot Chutney

Ingredients:

5 medium beetroot
    5oz Sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 Large Onions
    2 Large Cooking Applies
    1/2 pt vinegar

Method:

Wash & boil beetroot for an hour. When cold peel (the skin should just come off without any probs once they're cooked), dice the beetroot really small. Then put the chopped onion, apple, vinegar, salt & sugar in a saucepan. Cook for half an hour.

I generally leave the beetroot in the pan until its cold & then put it into jars. It lasts for ages. I normally get 4/5 jars from this batch.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

laurah wrote: »
    This thread has really got me inspired.
    Would love to try some of these recipes out.
    MIL is diabetic so jams are out i guess, others I can substitute the sugar for splenda right?
    It really depends on the recipe. Splenda doesn't suit an awful lot of recipes. Which recipes were you thinking of using Splenda in?

It really depends on the recipe. Splenda doesn't suit an awful lot of recipes. Which recipes were you thinking of using Splenda in?

Was thinking of making cookies or something.
    She would love fudge but coz she's a diabetic i refuse to make them for her. :D

laurah wrote: »

Was thinking of making cookies or something.
    She would love fudge but coz she's a diabetic i refuse to make them for her. :D
    It definitely depends on the cookie recipe. I've made cookies using Splenda that had lots of oats in them and they were lovely, but cookies with a lot of sugar in them just wouldn't work. They'd come out flat. My fiancé has diabetes and his mother made a chocolate sponge cake with Splenda and it was a disaster. It tasted nice but it was so flat. The sugar really helps to add volume.

You might as well give them a go anyway. I've just found that it's better to make things that are low enough in sugar and give him a small bit rather than playing around with Splenda. The flourless chocolate cake in the cooking club is great because it's low in sugar and has no flour.

It all depends on what type of diabetes she has too.

Everyone deserves a treat at Christmas! The fudge might be taking it too far though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

kiersm wrote: »
    Beetroot Chutney

Ingredients:

5 medium beetroot
    5oz Sugar
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 Large Onions
    2 Large Cooking Applies
    1/2 pt vinegar

Method:

Wash & boil beetroot for an hour. When cold peel (the skin should just come off without any probs once they're cooked), dice the beetroot really small. Then put the chopped onion, apple, vinegar, salt & sugar in a saucepan. Cook for half an hour.

I generally leave the beetroot in the pan until its cold & then put it into jars. It lasts for ages. I normally get 4/5 jars from this batch.

Just to point out to anyone planning on buying their beetroots in Aldi (the four-pack that does be in with the fresh veg) that they're already cooked & peeled.

Someone mentioned chocolate fudge earlier in the thread and I've looked but I can't find a recipe in this thread. I might have missed it. Does anyone have a good recipe for it?

• Advertisement

It definitely depends on the cookie recipe. I've made cookies using Splenda that had lots of oats in them and they were lovely, but cookies with a lot of sugar in them just wouldn't work. They'd come out flat. My fiancé has diabetes and his mother made a chocolate sponge cake with Splenda and it was a disaster. It tasted nice but it was so flat. The sugar really helps to add volume.

You might as well give them a go anyway. I've just found that it's better to make things that are low enough in sugar and give him a small bit rather than playing around with Splenda. The flourless chocolate cake in the cooking club is great because it's low in sugar and has no flour.

It all depends on what type of diabetes she has too.

Everyone deserves a treat at Christmas! The fudge might be taking it too far though. :D

She is type 2.
    I actually get on with my MIL dont want to kill her by giving her fudge :D
    Will do trial and error, she does eat alot of sweet stuff/junk food but I dont want to encourage it.

Advertisement