Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young women and the Virgin Mary

Options
  • 05-12-2010 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Im just wondering does any of the young women in Ireland today see the mother of God as a role model? One of the things that attracted me to the wife all them years ago was her intense devotion to Our Lady. This seemed to me to indicate that she had good maternal and homing insticts and would be good raising a family.

However in this day and age of MTV and drugs im wondering are there any young women out there who are still devouted to Our Lady and look to her for inspiration?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Do I smell a troll? *sniff sniff* There's a bit of a bang off this one alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 shtopthelights

I'd be surprised....very surprised.

Having taught Religion, just for awhile, recently, I think you'd be surprised at how many teenagers proclaim a non-belief in a God/higher power and even an after-life of any kind. The numbers believing in a virgin birth or the Virgin Mary are likely to be low IMHO. The ones who believe in any of the aforementioned tend to stay quiet about it in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I'm an atheist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Im just wondering does any of the young women in Ireland today see the mother of God as a role model? One of the things that attracted me to the wife all them years ago was her intense devotion to Our Lady. This seemed to me to indicate that she had good maternal and homing insticts and would be good raising a family.

However in this day and age of MTV and drugs im wondering are there any young women out there who are still devouted to Our Lady and look to her for inspiration?

What are you still living in the 1950's?? The age of MTV was like a decade ago.

If someone nowadays proclaimed they wanted to be like the virgin Mary I'd be very worried about their mental health.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why would young women look up to someone who, if existed, lied about cheating on her fella?

The dirty bitch! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭FF and proud

Why would young women look up to someone who, if existed, lied about cheating on her fella?

The dirty bitch! :pac:

Did you just refer to the mother of god as a dirty bitch? Many people would find that kind of thing offensive. :mad:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Folks, this ain't AH.

Either have a civil logical debate or the thread will be closed. Any issues with posts, please use the report post function.

Thanks,

Maple.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Obvious troll is obviously permabanned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

IHaving taught Religion, just for awhile, recently, I think you'd be surprised at how many teenagers proclaim a non-belief in a God/higher power and even an after-life of any kind. The numbers believing in a virgin birth or the Virgin Mary are likely to be low IMHO. The ones who believe in any of the aforementioned tend to stay quiet about it in my experience.

I don't think anybody should be surprised at the low levels of belief. It is pretty clear over the last 20 years that people with strong religious beliefs in Ireland (i.e. strong enough to believe in a virgin birth) are very, very low.
    What are you still living in the 1950's?? The age of MTV was like a decade ago.

MTV helped video kill the radio star in 1981. MTV is in it's old age at this stage:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement