Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batchelors baked beans, peas, and red kidney beans

Options
  • 05-12-2010 10:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I'm trying to eat about 5 or 6 small meals per day and I've taken to throwing a full 225g can of baked beans (sugar free) into a saucepan, heating them, and eating them all as one of the meals. Every other day I'll have Batchelor's peas or red kidney beans. They seem very healthy, protein, almost zero fats. Does anyone else do this, or am I alone in this act of culinary madness?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Why are you trying to eat so often?

And yes, you probably are alone. There's a lot of reasons not to do this, and very few to do it. For one thing, where are your green veg? Beans six times a day is very limited and you are going short of essential fats.

"True Gladiators" was on yesterday and they mentioned that before their final fight, the gladiators would deliberately fatten up by avoiding their usual diet of meat and veg. Instead, they would eat beans and barley with the aim of acquiring a nice layer of fat to protect them from slash wounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Zippidy

Eileen, I must have been unclear. I don't have them six times per day. Rather I eat them for one (or at most two) of my five to six small meals per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

So you like beans. Why are you asking if this is a problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Zippidy

Well I was wondering if the nutritionists here had any comments to make about the nutritional aspects of canned peas and beans - good, bad, or indifferent. For instance, are they a good snack once a day. Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Zippidy wrote: »
    Well I was wondering if the nutritionists here had any comments to make...
    Just so you are aware - The advice given in this forum is by posters with an interest in nutrition & not by health professionals.

HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Well I was wondering if the nutritionists here had any comments to make about the nutritional aspects of canned peas and beans - good, bad, or indifferent. For instance, are they a good snack once a day. Etc.

not a nut head but a tin of backed beans with the sauce washed off is a good balanced small meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭damselnat

Yep, I do this! But then again I am an impoverished student, and baked beans are wickedly cheap lining before wickedly cheap wine......:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

One of my new recipes is as follows:

280g peas
    1 onion
    Quarter garlic clove

1. Heat the peas as normal.
    2. Chop the onion and garlic and lightly fry.
    3. Drain the peas and add the onion and garlic.
    4. Mix.
    5. Serve and enjoy.

This is a quick, delicious snack. Last time I checked, none of the ingredients were fattening or bad for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

What about maybe having less of the beans and with a slice of wholewheat toast, tiny bit of grated cheese, yum, and more filling than just a tin of beans.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,100 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

tbh

beans >>> beans, bread and cheese

I often have a small tim of beans mixed with a tin of tuna for lunch,
    or is a buy tuna with chilli oil/sauce, i'll add in some kidney beans or 4 bean mix which have no sauce (the sauce is the bad part as its got a decent amount if sugar afaik).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

no issue with sugar free beans / peas in the grand scheme of things.. there are much worse foods you could eat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭WildBoots

I'm trying to eat about 5 or 6 small meals per day and I've taken to throwing a full 225g can of baked beans (sugar free) into a saucepan, heating them, and eating them all as one of the meals. Every other day I'll have Batchelor's peas or red kidney beans. They seem very healthy, protein, almost zero fats. Does anyone else do this, or am I alone in this act of culinary madness?

Don't see anything wrong with this, as long as the rest of your diet is good. However, I wouldn't associate "zero fat" with healthy, we need some good fats in our diet!

Advertisement