Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One off housing

Options
  • 05-12-2010 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Considering that dispersed settlements has been the Irish way for the last 10000 years why do have them an taisce people and the planning people telling us that we cant live in the country anymore and should instead focus on towns and cities. I mean what exactly is gong on here, you wouldnt believe the amount of people I know that have been turned down permission because of these busybodies sticking their noses into the affairs of our parish and what gets built there.

Im sorry but isnt this country not supposed to be a democracy, so why do we allow some people to dictate to others where they can and cant live. Rural Ireland is been depopulated and decimated thanks to them people down the offices and their draconian red tape rules.

Is it time to fight back and make this a political, social and human rights issue and bring it to the political fore and fight back against the elite who want to dictate our living arrangments and destroy ancient Irish living patterns in rural places.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Because everybody building anything they want leads to huge infrastructure problems. Maybe if An Taisce planned things better we wouldn't be left with ghost estates filling up half the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

i hope your username doesn't suggest what i think it suggests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

you wouldnt believe the amount of people I know that have been turned down permission because of these busybodies sticking their noses into the affairs of our parish and what gets built there.

Yeah, planning is a disaster in this country - one look at all the ridiculous Bertie Bowl and Dublin Docklands projects, as well as all the "development land" sold just off what were supposed to be ring roads and you'll see that.

As for busybodies sticking their noses into stuff that they have no right to, Anglo & Lenihan spring to mind, but that's probably a subject for a different topic.

You do have to wonder who gained from all of these developments; in most cases the towns and communities didn't.

A lovely, strong-community village in Clarina in Co. Limerick was ruined by a half-assed (now unfinished and abandoned) development that now has a roundabout that goes nowhere, ugly metal supports for an unwanted hotel and a shell of a "retail and office space" building that has never been occupied, while the people who did buy a few houses there have incomplete roads.

Yes, god knows who stuck their noses in to ensure that got the go-ahead, but it wasn't someone with a brain or a sense of community.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭FF and proud

ei.sdraob wrote: »

I dont know where you get that from because I wasnt banned from that thread.

• Advertisement

I dont know where you get that from because I wasnt banned from that thread.

sorry you were warned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Kiki10

Your right Mr FF & proud about the planning. They want to stop the ordinary local lad from putting a nice roof over his family's head while allowing some jackeen to build 500 apartments in country village they know nothing about.
    The good news is soon all them overpaid uncivil servants will be unemployed so they wont be on anyones back.
    The other thing is you caused the problem your complaining about by voting proudly for the people who put these laws & quangos into place
    I hope your proud of that;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Considering that dispersed settlements has been the Irish way for the last 10000 years why do have them an taisce people and the planning people telling us that we cant live in the country anymore and should instead focus on towns and cities. I mean what exactly is gong on here, you wouldnt believe the amount of people I know that have been turned down permission because of these busybodies sticking their noses into the affairs of our parish and what gets built there.

Im sorry but isnt this country not supposed to be a democracy, so why do we allow some people to dictate to others where they can and cant live. Rural Ireland is been depopulated and decimated thanks to them people down the offices and their draconian red tape rules.

Is it time to fight back and make this a political, social and human rights issue and bring it to the political fore and fight back against the elite who want to dictate our living arrangments and destroy ancient Irish living patterns in rural places.

Well your shower of wasters have been in government for a decade and a half, so why the hell didn't ye change things and get rid of an Taisce!

(It would be one of a few things I would have found myself in agreement with FF on!)

Lets keep it civil lads

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

You should come to Kosovo and have a look at the countryside here before complaining about planning. Everytime you look at a rural landscpe it's all houses scattered here and there. A lot of bricks and concrete where we have beautiful fields. I'd take the planning crazies any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Are you arguing in favour of one off housing?

A German tourist told me less than 8 weeks ago that he wouldn't be coming back - landscape has been destroyed by one off housing in the most god awful places.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I have a feeling I may be feeding a troll here, however...

One off housing is a bad idea for a number of reasons, which, if i remember correctly, were outlined and detailed perfectly in that thread on Infrastructure.

Firstly, they ruin the countryside that they are in. Ireland has beautiful scenic countryside, however an awful lot of it has been destroyed by the construction of one off housing in the most inappropriate of places. The countryside is an asset, one that needs to be protected from one off housing.

Secondly, it costs an awful lot more to provide services such as broadband, waste collection, etc. etc. to one off houses. It makes much more sense for clusters of housing, i.e. build your house in a town where the services are already in place. Personally, I am of the opinion that people building one off houses in the middle of nowhere should be taxed and taxed heavily for the privilege.

Thirdly, the environment. Public transport is not an option for someone living in one off housing in countryside, so this leads to an over dependence on cars, which in turn leads to higher emissions... I'm sure you know where the process goes from here.

Those are the main three reasons, there is others, however those are the three primary ones, and quite frankly those ideas are enough on their own to counter you argument, in my opinion.

Ironically, I am of the opinion that An Taisce are a nuisance as well, however my opinion is at the total opposite end of the spectrum to yours. I believe that An Taisce don't oppose enough rural one off developments, and they oppose far too many Urban high density developments, but that's an argument for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭Kiki10

dory wrote: »
    You should come to Kosovo and have a look at the countryside here before complaining about planning. Everytime you look at a rural landscpe it's all houses scattered here and there. A lot of bricks and concrete where we have beautiful fields. I'd take the planning crazies any day.
    whats the population of Kosovo?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Because everybody building anything they want leads to huge infrastructure problems.

I don't see how.

People dig their own wells and pump their own water, so water infrastructure is not an issue.

The electricity and telecom infrastructure isn't depleted because of extra cable length really. So that's not an issue.

No extra roads were ever built to cater for a once off house, so roads aren't an issue.

It seems there is a bitter resentment to once off housing on boards, for whatever reason I don't know. Must be some kind of town based jealousy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It seems there is a bitter resentment to once off housing on boards, for whatever reason I don't know. Must be some kind of town based jealousy.

The vast majority of posters are town/city based, and are renters/live with mammy.
    It's as plain as the nose on John Gormelys face.

The big giveaway is when something like "it costs an awful lot more to provide services such as broadband, waste collection" is posted.
    A stay in the country would let them see that these are usually not provided, so no, the town pockets have not been dipped into to provide these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭MT

I don’t know whether you’re trolling or not... but I’ll bite.

I think you will find that during the course of the last 10000 years dwelling patterns have not been constant but have, in fact, evolved. But I believe people have always lived in some sort of nucleated settlement; the fast and easy modes of transport by car and train are only relatively recent. Since farming moved beyond subsistence you would have to be within fairly easy reach of a marketplace or at least your neighbours to trade. Not easy to do if you’re living miles from everyone prior to the advent of mechanised transport. So I think there’s something of a myth in this notion of historic, dispersed settlements.

However, settlement patterns have changed greatly too in that time; and, crucially, society has changed in tandem. Nucleated settlements became villages, these, in turn, became towns, and ultimately cities. And it was in these great concentrations of humanity that society itself underwent the profound experiments and developments in thought and organisation that gave us the thinking that underpins the modern world.

Democracy, republicanism, the idea of the individual, the philosophies that have attempted to explain our existence never arose in the wilderness of the isolated farm. They came instead from the city, the font of civilization. The clues are in the names: city and civilization come from the Latin civitas – the union of citizens found in, yep, you guessed it, the cities of the ancient world.

So why are so many Irish people – with the connivance of Irish society as a whole – so keen to turn their backs on the concentrated mode of settlement that gave birth to and sustained civilisation and all its accompanying advances? Why do so many one-offers seem to have such a bitter resentment of the lifestyle that produced the modern world?

As in any complex issue I think there are probably a number of reasons but key among them, I suspect, is a notion of identity. Indeed, I think there’s something of a foundation myth behind fervently adamant declarations that Irishness itself would be threatened by an end to one-off housing.

Does this go back to back to Ireland’s experience of colonialism, and more importantly for the present, its attempts decolonise itself? I think 19th century nationalism implicitly encouraged the notion that towns and cities were unIrish: alien impositions thrust on the country by the baleful foreign presence over many centuries. We had the Vikings and the first recognisable towns; then the Anglo-Normans and the Pale with urban Dublin at its core; then the Elizabethan reconquest and a resumption of English dominance in the towns and the creation of plantation towns throughout Ulster. Each of these eras was accompanied by strenuous efforts to keep the native Irish out of these settlements.

I think the implication for Gaelic rivalist nationalism was clear: towns were foreign, not of us. They enriched them, kept us out, and ultimately, kept us down. They were home to the Norse, the English or Scots Presbyterian planters. True Gaels would never submit to the ways of the oppressor; they would live free in the wild. I’m not sure, but I think the ‘subversive’ term Hillside-man that became popular amongst Fenians (the ideological movement not those on the receiving end of the sectarian term of abuse) carried connotations of this urban rejection. Indeed, I believe it’s even reflected in that other bulwark of the Gaelic revival, the GAA. At variance with the development of football grounds throughout pretty much the rest of Europe, I can’t count the number of times where I’ve encountered GAA grounds miles outside the towns that the clubs in question draw so many of their players from. I can’t help but wonder if there’s some unwitting ‘escape to the hillside’ thinking behind these locations.

Sadly, one of the other bad things about imperial rule and colonialism – interestingly, one that’s rarely brought up in Ireland – is that the colonised come not just to resent the rule and misgovernance of the foreigner but everything about them. Certainly, the inevitable nationalism that seeks to shake off the ‘yoke’ seems to crystallise around the idea of total rejection. That and the victimised delusion that all was good and right before they came.

While wreaking destructive havoc in Ireland, the Imperial power in question, like many of Europe’s leading – and self-governing nations – underwent the cataclysms in thought and action that continued the progression of Western civilization. Unfortunately, I think that some of the flawed ideologies of the Romantic era that gave rise to renewed Irish nationalism and the natural outworking of the movement’s thinking itself resulted in not only a desire to reject the English but also to get back to the purity of Irishness before it was traduced over 800 long years. Unfortunately, that 800 year period saw some of the most profound change (or at times rediscovery) in how best to organise society. Indeed, there’s a profound irony in the desire for democracy and republicanism with the concurrent rejection of other advances eg. divorce, secularism, etc.

Tragically, this seems to have induced at least a sentimental suspicion, that alongside the rottenness of their rule, a whole host of developments in English society were also rotten to the core. Perhaps this was inevitable as a foundation myth that will inspire the revolutionary re-birth of a nation can’t consist of lily-livered academic balance and reasoning. But I think it has been deeply damaging in many ways for the Irish society that emerged.

And as mad as it may sound, I think these foundation myths and our reborn identity actually give rise to a sort of vague, muddleheaded suspicion of modern land use planning. It has at its core that old foreign thing, the town. What’s worse is that in the mindset of Irish nationalism the town is utterly suffused with the identity of the worst possible foreigners: the awful, oppressive English. So we must return to something different and original. And in that time of blissful purity, before the foreign encroachment, the Gael lived freely and simply in his isolated, rustic homestead. Or so we need to believe.

So people building urban generated field houses aren’t so much as living the dream but recovering the Irish identity. When it comes to settlement, they are the true Gaels. Living as we’re lead to believe we did before our world was so cruelly interrupted.

But the world has learnt, rediscovered and changed so much in those intervening 800 years. Next thing you know we’ll be replacing democracy with dynastic clans... oh, wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

dannym08 wrote: »
    I have a feeling I may be feeding a troll here, however...

One off housing is a bad idea for a number of reasons, which, if i remember correctly, were outlined and detailed perfectly in that thread on Infrastructure.

Firstly, they ruin the countryside that they are in. Ireland has beautiful scenic countryside, however an awful lot of it has been destroyed by the construction of one off housing in the most inappropriate of places. The countryside is an asset, one that needs to be protected from one off housing.

Secondly, it costs an awful lot more to provide services such as broadband, waste collection, etc. etc. to one off houses. It makes much more sense for clusters of housing, i.e. build your house in a town where the services are already in place. Personally, I am of the opinion that people building one off houses in the middle of nowhere should be taxed and taxed heavily for the privilege.

Thirdly, the environment. Public transport is not an option for someone living in one off housing in countryside, so this leads to an over dependence on cars, which in turn leads to higher emissions... I'm sure you know where the process goes from here.

Those are the main three reasons, there is others, however those are the three primary ones, and quite frankly those ideas are enough on their own to counter you argument, in my opinion.

Ironically, I am of the opinion that An Taisce are a nuisance as well, however my opinion is at the total opposite end of the spectrum to yours. I believe that An Taisce don't oppose enough rural one off developments, and they oppose far too many Urban high density developments, but that's an argument for another thread.

Another two reasons danny:

1) They cut away the population densities from all towns and villages, stripping them of their economic potential. This is one of the most important arguments against one-off houses.

2) One-off housing is economically unsustainable. When fuel for travel and heating is no longer affordable, one-off houses won't be either.

That said, this is a politics thread and what I've written doesn't have much to do with politics, other than framing a context. Sorry mods if my post is OT.

Furet wrote: »
    When fuel for travel and heating is no longer affordable, one-off houses won't be either.

Gonna be a lot of crops left unharvested so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

A change in the right direction perhaps. The cost of running services to every little dotted area on the country is expensive and populating the main urban areas would be very beneficial to the country. Funds cannot be provided to improve infrastructure to every inch of the country. Growth will come largely from the urban areas such as Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway. We need to focus more on centralization rather than the opposite which has been a failed excercise over the last decade.

Rural Ireland is indeed being depopulated at present but what are we going to do with all the empty houses across the countryside? These developments have ruined what were once beautiful villages and the countryside in rural areas. It also has a negative effect on building future infrastructure. For instance current national primary roads cannot be upgraded online due to the spead of one-off housing along the network thus a new route through fields via compulsory purchase order is the only way and comes at a cost.

No. We have destroyed some of the most beautiful landscapes in this country due to one-off housing and planning laws need to be changed to stop this recklessness. Most houses in the boom which are being unoccupied will be knocked eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Because everybody building anything they want leads to huge infrastructure problems. Maybe if An Taisce planned things better we wouldn't be left with ghost estates filling up half the country.

Ahh FFS here we go.
    The ordinary joe soap or mary soap building a home on their daddy's land was not the problem that resulted in ghost estates.
    Most of the ghost estates are in villages and towns, not simply in the middle of nowhere.

What huge infrastructure problems do one off houses create ?
    They are usually alongside a road that in all likelihood have powere and phone lines already.
    They provide their own water source or use a local community group water scheme, they provide their own septic tank and do not just add to Ringsends treatment plants of this world.
    So stop the cr** about how one off houses are the end of the planet and they are sucking all the infrastructure from the ill planned cities like dear ould Dublin.

An Taisce does not do planning, they only do objections.
    The planning is the remit of the local authority.
    Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Are you arguing in favour of one off housing?

A German tourist told me less than 8 weeks ago that he wouldn't be coming back - landscape has been destroyed by one off housing in the most god awful places.

I hope you got the German tourist to leave a few quid to help us pay off our debts.
    Of course at a low interest rate would be preferable.

I do agree places like Achill are a holy disgrace, even worse they could have helped blend in the houses (with natural stone colours, etc) that are built in exposed areas, but instead for some reason they have to be white and stand out. :mad:

• Advertisement

Firstly, they ruin the countryside that they are in. 
    Ireland has beautiful scenic countryside, 
    however an awful lot of it has been destroyed 
    by the construction of [B]giant windmills/pylons[/B] 
    in the most inappropriate of places. 
    The countryside is an asset, one that needs 
    to be protected from [B]giant windmills/pylons[/B].

:D

damn you progress/humanity, maybe we should neuter and gas those pesky people for having the audacity to try to live their life.

i think we should round up all those petty one off dwellers and relocate them to a ghetto in inner Dublin city where they can enjoy same pollution, crime and needles as the rest of us mere D4'ers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I think a compromise would be better - only allow new housing to be built adjacent to existing housing. That way the use of the countryside is restricted and people still have a certain amount of freedom to live outside urban areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

hold on, ruin it for who?certainly not the people already living there. unless you consider the views town people and some tourists get more important than the liveleyhoods of the locals (like has happened in connemara)
    you clearly have never been in the countryside. otherwise you'd know that waste collection services don't exist. as another poster said, most houses in the countryside are either self sufficient or on a group scheme with neighbours.
    oh, now you're just taking the piss. tell me, does nobody in a town own a car or use it regularly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

Dannyboy83 wrote: »

Sorry but that actually sounds funny.
    Then again, Frankfurt is such a picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Liberalbrehon

“I Think That I Shall Never See A Billboard Lovely As A Tree. Indeed, Unless The Billboards Fall, I'll Never See A Tree At All.”

~ Ogden Nash

just change to

“I Think That I Shall Never See A Once-off house as Lovely As A Tree. Indeed, Unless The Once-off house Falls, I'll Never See A Tree At All.”

If people want to ruin the view of the countryside, diminish the tourism value of beautiful landscapes for their local communities, then let them.
    If people want to spend hours of their lives driving, around countryside to get to services located in villages and towns, then let them.
    If people want to live on sides of busy main routes, where cars can crash into their loved ones, then let them.
    If people want to live down roads that only have space for 1.5 car width and no safe space on road for children to walk down, then let them.
    If people want to raise families, so when they are teenagers and young adults they have to drive to social events and get killed on way home, then let them.
    If people want to raise families where kids have to travel hours in expensive school buses, to poor local schools, then let them.
    If people want to be stuck in middle of nowhere when they get older and can't drive to essential services, or get marooned in bad weather, then let them.
    If people want to pay for the economic price for utilities to be brought to them, then let them. (unlike eircom having to spend €14k to bring phone line down a country lane and rest of eircom customers subsidizing it)
    If people want to be stuck miles from doctors and hospitals, pharmacies when sick, then let them.
    If people want one-off houses, then they shouldn't be allowed to object to lots of other one-off houses beside them, negating the isolation of the one-off house in the first place.
    If people want one-off houses, then they can not object to wind-turbines, pylons behind them, no planning restrictions means anything can go anywhere.
    If people want to live in one-off housing, that creates security risks for them and their families, especially when they are older, then let them.

Freedom of choice for everyone. Once people sign that they understand the long-term consequences of their choices, and don't expect the wider society to subsidize their choices, then let them.
    Cities, towns and villages for ever.
    Only people that need to live in the countryside are people that work in the countryside. i.e. farmers and their families. everyone else is just getting in the way of them doing their work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

First off I am one of those people who couldn't live in a town or village (shudder at the mere thought).
    The only extra infrastructure here are a couple of hundred feet of phone & electricity cables, not something that is going to cost anyone a single cent.
    The Irish countryside is not primarily something for tourists and "townies" to come and look at on a sunday afternoon, it is a place where people live and have lived for thousands of years.

The biggest problem with one off housing is not the fact they are being built but the quality of the design. There are some god awful designs out there, with some huge monstrosities having popped up in recent years.

To people who insist we should all live in urban areas with gangs of hoodlums ;) hanging around every corner, exhaustless cars roaring around at all hours, dogs barking, rapists, muggers and drug addicts....... ok I'm being a bit melodramatic here.
    I say to you **** ***.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

“I Think That I Shall Never See A Billboard Lovely As A Tree. Indeed, Unless The Billboards Fall, I'll Never See A Tree At All.”

~ Ogden Nash

just change to

“I Think That I Shall Never See A Once-off house as Lovely As A Tree. Indeed, Unless The Once-off house Falls, I'll Never See A Tree At All.”

If people want to ruin the view of the countryside, diminish the tourism value of beautiful landscapes for their local communities, then let them.
    If people want to spend hours of their lives driving, around countryside to get to services located in villages and towns, then let them.
    If people want to live on sides of busy main routes, where cars can crash into their loved ones, then let them.
    If people want to live down roads that only have space for 1.5 car width and no safe space on road for children to walk down, then let them.
    If people want to raise families, so when they are teenagers and young adults they have to drive to social events and get killed on way home, then let them.
    If people want to raise families where kids have to travel hours in expensive school buses, to poor local schools, then let them.
    If people want to be stuck in middle of nowhere when they get older and can't drive to essential services, or get marooned in bad weather, then let them.
    If people want to pay for the economic price for utilities to be brought to them, then let them. (unlike eircom having to spend €14k to bring phone line down a country lane and rest of eircom customers subsidizing it)
    If people want to be stuck miles from doctors and hospitals, pharmacies when sick, then let them.
    If people want one-off houses, then they shouldn't be allowed to object to lots of other one-off houses beside them, negating the isolation of the one-off house in the first place.
    If people want one-off houses, then they can not object to wind-turbines, pylons behind them, no planning restrictions means anything can go anywhere.
    If people want to live in one-off housing, that creates security risks for them and their families, especially when they are older, then let them.

Freedom of choice for everyone. Once people sign that they understand the long-term consequences of their choices, and don't expect the wider society to subsidize their choices, then let them.
    Cities, towns and villages for ever.
    Only people that need to live in the countryside are people that work in the countryside. i.e. farmers and their families. everyone else is just getting in the way of them doing their work.

What a load of insufferable ****e.

Show me one instance where town folk subsidize people who live in the countryside? And no eircom sending a bit of copper down the road isn't something they do at a loss, it's a commercial decision to get more customers.

I look forward to your views on the city dwelling dole-ites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

I would actually fight to have the right to wake up in the morning to this,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVgA5Gacal-P-ucGTSY6Ty8OQ8UVHuY0HYuEXBY1u_xeqDXqUXTQ

As opposed to this,

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZSgnMGv8iVFGnhdmwIfDoVwdL7f3_2pkWGoQvowaDu37XOzlH

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I built a one off house on family land, it was one of my dreams since young to do it, ah bless :o

So for those subsidizing me:
    A survey was done, well located, installed, pipes and pump installed, pump is serviced annually.
    The council will be getting no water meter on this property!

Septic tank installed, complies with all current standards so the council are not involved here.

The road was there since before I was born so it's nothing something new.

There is a main ESB line along the road and many, many thousands were paid to the ESB to setup a connection. The ESB certainly know how to charge.

What else?

We were paying for waste collection and the wheelie bin for years while I watched Joe Higgins on the news in Dublin go to jail over it. :rolleyes:
    Broadband is satellite so nobody subsidizing that. There will never be cable TV in this area.
    And the Eircom line is nearby, not big deal to get a connection if that will be done someday.

If you wish to talk about wasteful housing in rural areas, it's in the villages and not one off houses.
    Our village (and many others) had a developers buy a parcel of land, try to cram as many houses on it as possible. Houses that nobody was ever going to buy, the biggest local employer is the Spar shop.
    They have since gone bust and the estate is locked up, nobody knows what will happen them

Advertisement