Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New F1 engine formula for 2013

Options
  • 04-12-2010 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

Just after seeing it on the BBC website:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9255871.stm

Its been flagged for a long time but looks like its definitely going to be confirmed now. What do ye think? I'm not too sure yet. Limiting rpm to 10,000 just won't sound the same, and the engines are only 600 bhp, with up to 150 bhp to come from energy recovery. Hmmm, i'm not sure what to make of this :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

10,000 RPM sounds a bit crap.

I dunno why they don't just go for say a 2 litre engine with a turbo and no limit on the pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Then watch as they blow engines at every practice session! Unlimited boost would result in much higher number of failures and hence cost issues!

Exactly. :) Let them have free reign somewhere. Let them turn it up to whatever they want at different points in the race and see who takes the biggest risks and who doesn't, and see who comes out best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

I think its good. f1 is supposed to lead the way. Its doing so in this manner. People care about the environment now and like it or not F1 is not immune from it. Turbos back - great. Booom bang a bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

barp, barp, barp

something different so i welcome it although the horsepower isn't quiet where id like it to be but I'm interested to see how they deal with turbo lag etc

• Registered Users Posts: 30,131 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Well I'd look forward to each engine builder getting a fresh start and seeing who can get the most from the regulations. Seems like a small engine size but I guess it's similar to the turbos they used to use in the eighties

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I think its good. f1 is supposed to lead the way. Its doing so in this manner. People care about the environment now and like it or not F1 is not immune from it. Turbos back - great. Booom bang a bang.

That whole F1 having to become greener thing is complete bs. It's just a tag, as most people consider the 2 hour action on track the only contribution F1 makes to climate change. Let me just say, the on track action is the least of F1's worries if the FIA are concerned about emissions etc. Of course nothing is mentioned about the carbon footprint of what it takes to actually move F1 from country to country every few weeks. 10k rpm? Eugh, almost half of todays stamdard. Sure they may as well go the whole hog and throw a few speed bumps down, a few sets of traffic lights, cycle lanes & lolly-pop ladies to complete the image.

F1 - Racing climate change to the podium.

It will also make the 2012 season identical to the 2011 season, with very little going into engine development for 2012 I'd imagine. Even Bernie was opposed to it...
    We have a very good engine formula. Why should we change it to something that is going to cost millions of pounds and that nobody wants and that could end up with one manufacturer getting a big advantage?

EnterNow wrote: »
    It will also make the 2012 season identical to the 2011 season, with very little going into engine development for 2012 I'd imagine. Even Bernie was opposed to it...

engine development is for the most part frozen so hasn't been much going on for a while now

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

That whole F1 having to become greener thing is complete bs. It's just a tag, as most people consider the 2 hour action on track the only contribution F1 makes to climate change. Let me just say, the on track action is the least of F1's worries if the FIA are concerned about emissions etc. Of course nothing is mentioned about the carbon footprint of what it takes to actually move F1 from country to country every few weeks. 10k rpm? Eugh, almost half of todays stamdard. Sure they may as well go the whole hog and throw a few speed bumps down, a few sets of traffic lights, cycle lanes & lolly-pop ladies to complete the image.

F1 - Racing climate change to the podium.

Or the carbon footprint of manufacturing all the parts for the cars.

Basically they think they can get more commercial revenue by giving the perception that they care about the environment.

I think the idea would be that the methods they use to make the cars greener will feed into production road cars. To be honest the car are still pretty fast would be surprised if they get slowed down by any great amount

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I think the idea is to attract more sponsorship money, "green" is where the money is going, if F1 can make its self seem more green focused it can attract some of that money.

I will be happy to see the engine development freeze gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Bobby04

Then watch as they blow engines at every practice session! Unlimited boost would result in much higher number of failures and hence cost issues!

I presume though there could/would still be a restrictive number of fresh engines allowed per season, thus requiring a delicate balance between outright performance and longevity? Not withstanding that, the option to turn up boost would surely allow for some grid "upsets" with teams deciding to go for a kamakazie lap to secure pole.

Agreed re all of the above, but F1 is far from green under the skin, & trying to portray that image just annoys me. I'm not aware of the exact statistics, but isn't one single transatlantic jet flight equivelent to about six to eight years of avaerage driving in terms of carbon emissions? Imagine the amount of flights alone that the whole F1 entourage utilizes, it's decades worth over a whole season surely.

I don't think the cars will be slower as such, as the power output is to remain at todays levels, but surely they're going to sound completely different? 1.6L 4Cyl turbo @ 10k rpm...surely thats more akin to a road car, something high revving like a vtec nsx or something? The shape obviously has to change somewhat too, small engines/smaller bodies.

I'm sure it will still be brilliant, but F1 is about the pinnacle of motor racing technology fused with speed, adrenaline & determination. It should not be about encouraging people to hypermile. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly all for efficiency, but this is a step in the wrong direction under the facade of envionmentalism, it's frankly ridiculous. If anything, they should be making the engines bigger to combat global cooling :p:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭GaryMunster

Those engineers will still find a way to make the cars go,look and sound amazing regardless of what engine they have to work with

Those engineers will still find a way to make the cars go,look and sound amazing regardless of what engine they have to work with

Fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I don't think the cars will be slower as such, as the power output is to remain at todays levels, but surely they're going to sound completely different? 1.6L 4Cyl turbo @ 10k rpm...surely thats more akin to a road car, something high revving like a vtec nsx or something? The shape obviously has to change somewhat too, small engines/smaller bodies.

The turbo engines of the eighties were, if i recall correctly, 1.5 V6 that revved to somewhere between 11 and 13,000 rpm and that era is remembered very fondly by fans for the cars. I dont think there will be anything amiss with the new engines and while they will sound different that isnt such a bad thing, the diesels in sportscar racing rev to only a few thousand and most definitely do not sound like a race car but they were unbelievable to hear for the first time.

Its worth remembering that we have had essentially the same engines for 20-high capacity, high revving, normally aspirated units-which by my reckoning is probably the longest stretch in F1 history

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Gasp! Don't insult the NSX! 3.2 V6, not a sh!tty 4 pot turbo!
    I agree in general though, this is a crap idea. It proves the point that climate change is mostly about perception, and the real changes that could make the difference are largely ignored. It's the perceived benefits that they pedal.
    I think they should take away all engine restrictions and tell the teams that they have x amount of fuel for the race. Let them use 12 cyliner 3.5 litre or 4 cylinder turbo or whatever they like, any bhp they like, but that's all the fuel they can use. Then you'll see real inginuity at work. When they eventually have 1200bhp cars using that amount of fuel you could regulate it by reducing the fuel allowance.
    F1 is supposed to be about driving forward new ideas while getting the maximum benefit for speed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

I dunno. The new 2.4 V8's don't sound near as good as the old 3 litre V10's. I've never been lucky enough to hear a V12 F1 car, but I bet those sounded even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,823 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

frostie500 wrote: »
    The turbo engines of the eighties were, if i recall correctly, 1.5 V6 that revved to somewhere between 11 and 13,000 rpm and that era is remembered very fondly by fans for the cars.

Yup, most of the turbo engines in the 80's had the V6 configuration with a few exceptions.

BMW used 4 cylinders, I think Brian Harts engines had 4 cylinders. Alfa Romeo used V8's

Honda, Ferrari, Ford Cosworth, Porsche, Renault and Motori Moderni all used V6's.

The turbo engines of the eighties were, if i recall correctly, 1.5 V6 that revved to somewhere between 11 and 13,000 rpm and that era is remembered very fondly by fans for the cars. I dont think there will be anything amiss with the new engines and while they will sound different that isnt such a bad thing, the diesels in sportscar racing rev to only a few thousand and most definitely do not sound like a race car but they were unbelievable to hear for the first time.

Its worth remembering that we have had essentially the same engines for 20-high capacity, high revving, normally aspirated units-which by my reckoning is probably the longest stretch in F1 history

Great points, gives me hope I guess :) Lets face it, it's not going to be cr@p, it's F1...

Lightning - epic video, the sense of power being unleashed is incredible. Thanks for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

5L V12's please, its supposed to be the apex of motorsport, not driving around power by some hobbled lawn mower engine :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

I was thinking about this for the last few days and put a post up about it. I can understand the skepticism of fans to see the change but it is an oppurtunity for F1 to make yet another valid contribution to the future of road cars. Like it or not the motor industry is moving towards low capacity turbo charged engines that give power and efficiency by developing a similar engine for F1 the rate of development is much higher than if manufacturers were developing for road use.

Click here to read my post

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I was thinking about this for the last few days and put a post up about it. I can understand the skepticism of fans to see the change but it is an oppurtunity for F1 to make yet another valid contribution to the future of road cars. Like it or not the motor industry is moving towards low capacity turbo charged engines that give power and efficiency by developing a similar engine for F1 the rate of development is much higher than if manufacturers were developing for road use.

Click here to read my post

well how about moving to huge hydrogen engines sustainably produced from boi sources like algae ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bigboy123

You have to say this would make for mighty entertainment though, then limit the number of engines to 10, making them think whether they want to crank the boost up and shorten the life, or dumb it down and risk being lower in the field.

Or Make them lock down the pressure in parc firme, meaning they couldn't just turn it up for quail and then down for the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

From World Motor Sport Council Press Release:
    Following dialogue with the engine manufacturers and experts in this field, the power units will be four cylinders, 1.6 litre with high pressure gasoline injection up to 500 bar with a maximum of 12,000 rpm.

The engines will deliver a 35% reduction in fuel consumption and will feature extensive energy management and energy recovery systems, while maintaining current levels of performance. In 2013, five engines will be permitted per driver, but each year after that the limit will be four.

5 engines per driver, that will be interesting

will development be aloud during the season I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Even more interesting in that press release is that they've finally seen the light and removed the current rule on team orders:

"The article forbidding team orders (39.1) is deleted. Teams will be reminded that any actions liable to bring the sport into disrepute are dealt with under Article 151c of the International Sporting Code and any other relevant provisions"

Also, does anyone know if "high pressure gasoline injection" means direct injection into the cylinder or the current indirect injection setup? :confused:

Also, does anyone know if "high pressure gasoline injection" means direct injection into the cylinder or the current indirect injection setup? :confused:

I would imagine that's what it means

• Registered Users Posts: 34 timt

The ban on testing has to be lifted now. How can they expect to make 'contributions' to road technology if they cant test the equipment properly.

It was always a stupid idea anyway. The can afford the xxxMillions to design and manufacture a car and run the massive faciitys and employ a whole team, but they couldnt pay for the extra time running the car? Drops in an ocean.

• Advertisement

timt wrote: »
    The ban on testing has to be lifted now. How can they expect to make 'contributions' to road technology if they cant test the equipment properly.

It was always a stupid idea anyway. The can afford the xxxMillions to design and manufacture a car and run the massive faciitys and employ a whole team, but they couldnt pay for the extra time running the car? Drops in an ocean.

I think its good that you can see everything being developed and tested during the race weekends though. For HRT to have no pre season testing and bring a car to the first race it kind of amazing

all the teams are in the same situation so it is fairer to smaller teams with tighter budgets

with new engines a bit more testing might be useful

Advertisement