Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman found guilty of rape in hotel toilet

Options
1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

:eek:

As if I didn't have enough to fear from male rape, now I learn of this type of thing!

Do you worry about being raped often?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Since we none of us know the full facts of this case I think we would do well not to jump to conclusions about either the victim or the defendant.

I would say however we ought to consider how we would react if the defendant was man. No doubt we would be calling for him to be strung up by his whats-its.

If the victim was intoxicated her recollection may be hazy but equally just because she might have consented to kiss the defendant does mean she gave permission for anything else even she did not say the word no.

If for instance I go out to a club with friends and I meet a guy and kiss him that does not automatically mean I give him permission to sleep with me does it?

Quite frankly I find it disturbing to think that some people feel that only after you specifically say ' I do not want to have sex with you' is it rape. Supposing said guy I am kissing in the club suddendly drags me out into an alley and forces himself on me not giving me a chance to say no or push him away.....do these people really believe he is entitled to that?

Because if that's your attitude you want your head checking.

How does anyone ever have sex with anyone then? Someone has to initiate the act?

Not all physical contact is discussed in minute detail before hand or anything.

The situation you described above is rape although I find it difficult to believe that at some point the person being dragged down the alley wouldn't have had a chance to protest. The act of dragging in itself would be enough tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Crying out in a toilet would constitute a protest, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

mconigol wrote: »
    How does anyone ever have sex with anyone then? Someone has to initiate the act?

Not all physical contact is discussed in minute detail before hand or anything.

The situation you described above is rape although I find it difficult to believe that at some point the person being dragged down the alley wouldn't have had a chance to protest. The act of dragging in itself would be enough tbh.

If the person in the above scenario had drink on them or was of small stature like me the attacker could easily grab them before they were able to stop them.

But in any case I was really talking to those who have said that regardless of what way it happens unless the word 'No' is used it is not rape. That is to be fair a worrying attitude to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

If the person in the above scenario had drink on them or was of small stature like me the attacker could easily grab them before they were able to stop them.

But in any case I was really talking to those who have said that regardless of what way it happens unless the word 'No' is used it is not rape. That is to be fair a worrying attitude to have.

Well yes obviously the word "no" doesn't have to be said. Also is someone is not capable of saying no (e.g. being too drunk) well then that is the same as them being pulled down an alley with their mouth covered in my opinion. There as least has to be the capability/capacity to say no.

However, just because someone doesn't specifically say "yes" doesn't necessarily mean consent hasn't been given either.

It's a very tricky issue. Really depends on the particular set of circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭odnauq

Is this the latest update?????

Anne-Marie O'Loughlin, 26-year Irish nurse accused of a digitally raping a woman in the toilets at Brisbane's Caxton Hotel on November 29 2009, is expected to walk free after all criminals charges against her had now been “formally withdrawn.’’
    The complainant, a 34-year woman who has not been identified and is understood to be battling cancer, made the decision to withdraw the charges over the past few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

We go back live now to odnauq....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Michael McArdle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

'The court heard also heard evidence from the victim's husband who said he was extremely upset after his wife emerged from the toilets and told him what had happened.'

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Ghandee wrote: »
    Where has the link to the story gone?:confused:

Down the loo :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Spread wrote: »
    Down the loo :D

I hope they were in the cubical by themselves, could lead to a sticky situation:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Side Show Bob

laugh wrote: »
    Any pics of the nurse?

The Journal have the best pic yet!

http://www.thejournal.ie/take-5-monday-33-159874-Jun2011/

Advertisement