Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

women's centre in dublin

Options
  • 04-12-2010 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

I would like to know why there is no women's centre in dublin? Iam not talking about a well women's centre for women's sexual health im talking about a centre for women that offer courses and services and supports to women. I can't believe there is no one here in dublin for the the population that is here, Im from donegal myself and there is a great women centre in letterkenny. How can they not see the need, no wonder dublin can be very lonely especially for single women.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There was one in Stoneybatter in D7 but due to the cuts in funding it closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Hello

I would like to know why there is no women's centre in dublin? Iam not talking about a well women's centre for women's sexual health im talking about a centre for women that offer courses and services and supports to women. I can't believe there is no one here in dublin for the the population that is here, Im from donegal myself and there is a great women centre in letterkenny. How can they not see the need, no wonder dublin can be very lonely especially for single women.

All of these female only services are available in Dublin. I don't really see the need in having a specifically female-only building to house them all. The range of services are so broad and varied the only thing they have in common is they are used by women. Surely it would make more sense to have counsellling services in a purpose built clinic, courses etc in a community centre, pregnancy/childcare info in a family life centre. Maybe a dedicated website for women, referencing the relevant services around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

The one in Letterkenny has women's health and counselling etc., which is fine, but why does it offer
    Art
    Conversation English Classes
    Pilates For Women
    Introduction to Counseling And Listening
    Women’s Health for the Over 40’s
    Budgeting for Today
    I mean, why are men excluded from the above? Seems entirely inappropriate. Moreover, there are at least 20 women's shelters in Ireland and not one men's shelter - Women's Aid gets something like 100 times the state funding that Amen does. If there's spare cash I'd rather it went on a men's shelter rather than on pointless sub-Fás courses.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

goose2005 wrote: »
    The one in Letterkenny has women's health and counselling etc., which is fine, but why does it offer

I mean, why are men excluded from the above? Seems entirely inappropriate. Moreover, there are at least 20 women's shelters in Ireland and not one men's shelter - Women's Aid gets something like 100 times the state funding that Amen does. If there's spare cash I'd rather it went on a men's shelter rather than on pointless sub-Fás courses.

Please don't turn this thread into a gender debate. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

goose2005 wrote: »

I wasn't talking about refuges for battered wives at all, how did you get that. How do people not understand the question i asked. There are well men centres too I don't understand you at all since history began men have always had more money and opperunities!! it was only in the 1960s that women stood up for what is their right! Alot of countries today women still don't have rights like muslim countries and its common for them to be treated barbaricly.
    I was an only child i don't have much of a family or friends and dublin is very lonely i was thinking is there any where i can go and meet friends because im not in to going to pubs and clubs its too expensive and it's not my thing. how is it when i ask a simple question here, some people don't get it and its like they don't know how to use their heads and actually think fully.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Blueelephant81, perhaps you missed Silverfish's post about not turning this thread into a gender war? This was already pointed out to Goose2005, there is no need for you to re-iterate the point.

Also please watch your tone, your original post was not very clear in terms of what exactly you were looking for so people should not be denigrated for offering their opinions/advice.

Thanks,

Maple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

I was an only child i don't have much of a family or friends and dublin is very lonely i was thinking is there any where i can go and meet friends because im not in to going to pubs and clubs its too expensive and it's not my thing. how is it when i ask a simple question here, some people don't get it and its like they don't know how to use their heads and actually think fully.

So what you're looking for is essentially a social club. There are plenty of them in Dublin, gender specific ones too. Generally they are grouped according to the niche of interest, for example a sports club, book club or activism group. If you want a place that's solely for the purpose of meeting other women as friends, then you have personal ad type services*. Personally I think the best way to meet friends is through a common goal or interest. There isn't really much of a reason to join women together simply because they're of the same gender, unless in a dating context.

*Or even the Ladies Lounge!

Advertisement