Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dubai Thread [Merged]

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭wuffly

kryogen wrote: »
    Have the opportunity to move to Dubai to work, on a contract for 5 years. The pay is 3.5 times what my salary would be here in Ireland.

I was thinking of going with the idea that I can save as much as possible and come back in 5 years and have a good little nest egg to buy land or a house, even buy while away and build so it would be ready for me once the contract ends. I dont have to make any decision until September so am trying to gather as much info as possible until then.

I am basically starting from scratch, all I know is there is no income tax, the company is providing a living and travel allowance, they are also covering health insurance, the place looks amazing and it appears to give me a great chance to build up some savings.

Obviously there would be far more to the picture, how high is the cost of living there? Would it be feasible to save a lot of your salary if you plan on living frugally, is it possible to live frugally in Dubai even!

Whats it like for kids? I have two, a 5 year old and a 2 year old.

Am I crazy to consider it? It sounds too good to be true and usually when it sounds too good to be true its because it is too good to be true.

Any advice or feedback welcome

Accommodation and education will be your biggest costs. Will they pay your housing on top of your salary or as part of it? This will have a big impact on your living costs. Also will they cover education? and if so you need to find out how much. Like bluefoam said living frugally is possible but with kids it can be difficult especially without the support network you might have at home. You can live further out but that will add to commute times for work and school(traffic has gotten much worse in the last 6months). Is your partner(you need to be married to sponsor her) in the picture would they work or look after the kids? Re the travel allowance will it cover your actually flights or is it part of your salary? Re medical do you know what it covers, do you want/need maternity cover for your partner? We live in a older part of dubai (we got lucky and don't pay huge rent for what we have but i still consider it high) these places are few and far between. We don't have kids and roughly save 5k a month. We are not big 'brunch-ers' but we do go out and travel a nice bit. It took us about 18 months to get to this stage. You can rent a place and kit out with 2nd hand stuff relatively easily and cheaply. Large rent cheques in advance is a killer tho. It would have taken us less time to get set up to save but it took my other half some time to get a job and we got married etc. He is currently starting his own business so our savings are on hold again but we can live easily and a save a little on my salary. Have you been out here before? Can you come out and check it out for yourself?

Advertisement