Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which is better in snow / ice. FWD or RWD?

Options
  • 02-12-2010 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

From a traction and control point of view which would you find the easiiest to drive in these conditions?

Icy roads: Which do you prefere. FWD or RWD? 187 votes

FWD
    0% 0 votes
    RWD
    89% 167 votes
    Shanks Mare
    10% 20 votes

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Front wheel drive of course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭MarkoC

From a traction and control point of view which would you find the easiiest to drive in these conditions?
    1. AWD
    2. FWD
    3. RWD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭pajo1981

FWD by a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

wrong wheel drive is better (grudgingly):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

You have to ask that? Seriously?

Im starting to realize why there are so many terrible drivers in this weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭kev91

rwd is more fun but fwd is beter as you have the added weight of the engine of the front wheels for extra traction

kev91 wrote: »
    rwd is more fun but fwd is beter as you have the added weight of the engine of the front wheels for extra traction
    On ice theres more fun with FWD as the handbrake does the job and fwd pulls you out from anywhere but thats all IF you have winter tyres, rwd is so useless in these weather conditions, so please dont mix drifting and winter driving here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

FWD or RWD if you like to reverse everywhere :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Leaving out 4wd/awd, then there is no question that fwd is better.

But in relation to traction control, depending on the system your car has its fine once you are moving but once you get into seriously icy conditions or hills etc then switching off the traction control is the best way to keep going....only if you have a clue how to drive in the conditions of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

kev91 wrote: »
    I drive a RWD transit van although haven't taken it out in the weather yet.

Can put weight in the back. Had FWD newer version last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

For me is the RWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Poll?

FWD imo

Seweryn wrote: »
    For me is the RWD.
    Because thats your first car ever ? :D

MarkoC wrote: »
    Because thats your first car ever ? :D
    Yes, I have had about 15 cars and all of them were RWD. The recent ones are not as good in the snow as my first car, which was my VW Beetle. I was driving a Beetle for 12 years and it was the best single axle driven winter car. In any slopes all other cars used to get stuck (especially FWD) and the Beetle was happily going forward. Never had winter tyres on ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 30,078 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Leaving out 4wd/awd, then there is no question that fwd is better.

But in relation to traction control, depending on the system your car has its fine once you are moving but once you get into seriously icy conditions or hills etc then switching off the traction control is the best way to keep going....only if you have a clue how to drive in the conditions of course.

would question the turning off of traction control, I'd say only turn it off if you're stuck or need to spin the wheels for some reason

but will depend on the car and system it uses

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Yes, I have had about 15 cars and all of them were RWD. The recent ones are not as good in the snow as my first car, which was my VW Beetle. I was driving a Beetle for 12 years and it was the best single axle driven winter car. In any slopes all other cars used to get stuck (especially FWD) and the Beetle was happily going forward. Never had winter tyres on ;).

Actually you're right there.
    Rear-engined and RWD go together well because the weight is over the driven wheels, Beetles really are good in the snow.
    Beemers and Mercs should only be taken out on snow and ice with spare underwear in the glovebox.
    My Focus gets up the hill we live on quite happily with no problems.
    The GF's MX5 (RWD) is completely lost on the same hill, it really is terrible.
    So, FWD or, if it has to be RWD then old Beetle, new one is FWD anyway
    But best Subaru or on a budget some Suzuki 4WD.

I cant wait to get my 58 VW bus on the road. :D

Actually you're right there.
    Rear-engined and RWD go together well because the weight is over the driven wheels, Beetles really are good in the snow.
    Yeah, the Beetle is unbeatable in the winter. The grip is right there when you need it most - driving up the hill all the traction moves to your driven axle. And the car is light, which also helps. The only thing you need to keep in mind is not to let it go sideways too far, be careful when the car starts spinning. It oversteers easily and you need to be prepared ;).
    Mercs and BMWs are quite useless, you are right there (I have been driving both) and the Subaru is in a different league, but it is a 4WD...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Poll fail..

No Skoda or Atari jaguar..:P

• Registered Users Posts: 24,478 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

all the artic trucks are proving it mid wheel drive that's the business at the moment. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yeah, the Beetle is unbeatable in the winter. - driving up the hill all the traction moves to your driven axle..

Driving down the hill, lift off the gas and your back end overtakes you :D

all the artic trucks are proving it mid wheel drive that's the business at the moment. :P

They would need there in those artic conditions.

peasant wrote: »
    That is the downside, but the car is easy to control. You just need to get a bit of experience with it, that's all ;).

In that case your vote doesnt count as you had no experiences with FWD cars ... Simplish
    Trust me, you will be amazed once you get one for the winter ;)

MarkoC wrote: »
    In that case your vote doesnt count as you had no experiences with FWD cars ... Simplish
    Trust me, you will be amazed once you get one for the winter ;)
    I didn't own one, but I drove some FWD cars and most of them are better than the RWD cars I drive now. However, they are not better than the Beetle. If I have a car to choose to drive through the snow (single axle driven), I would stll take the Beetle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

peasant wrote: »

all things being equal if you lift off the car will continue in a straight line...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭jaffa20

RWD in reverse!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

corktina wrote: »
    all things being equal if you lift off the car will continue in a straight line...

Not downhill on ice it won't. Slightly different level of grip, camber of the road, something will cause it to swing it's arse out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

corktina wrote: »

But all things are not equal in the beetle because the engine is in the back. While this does help with the weight being over the drive wheels, I think the beetle's first gear had a very low ratio, which also help in these conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Tyres have alot to do with it too, and i don't mean snow tyres etc.

Skinny tyres are vastly better on snow and ice then wide tyres.

And about switching off traction control, Most traction control systems cut power when the wheels begin to slip, this of course slows the car down, meaning that's its much harder to keep momentum, especially on hills. Switching it off means you can can use the spinning wheels to keep the car at a constant speed(with proper throttle and steering control) and so keep momentum.

Advertisement