Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was hit by lightning with my umbrella.

Options
  • 01-12-2010 10:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭

I was hit by lightning today while filming for a new video I was making in Terenure College Grounds.

The lightning hit all of us holding metal objects - Me with the umbrella, And my 2 other friends, one with a shovel and the other with glasses.

Here is a link to the video footage of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Y09YVcCcNs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Holy fcukin siht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭andyterryjay

yea im pretty freaked out. ha

you could say it was, a shocking experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭xyz1

oooohhhhh shhhhiiiiiiiitttttt!

Your reaction was priceless, fair play!

yeah it was haha ! but i actually say the current go down the pole of the umbrella !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

159 views so far. That should go down well with the ladies in Wesley at the weekend! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

You were very very lucky. As far as I remember (please correct me if I'm wrong) objects on the ground send up a small streamer which may or may not make contact with the lightning strike. The lightning made contact with the streamer of another possibly higher object.

haha yeah, it will do great for my channel aswell.

it may go viral at this rate. not even up half an hour and over 200 vies now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I'm confused.

Shouldn't you be dead? The bolt would find earth through your body and cause you massive burns and injury. I thought most lightning was happening out to sea, not as far inland as Terenure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Brilliant to have it on camera but you are blessed. You can buy all the lotto tickets you want now safe in the knowledge that the usual comparative stat no longer applies to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

I'm confused.

Shouldn't you be dead? The bolt would find earth through your body and cause you massive burns and injury. I thought most lightning was happening out to sea, not as far inland as Terenure

The lightning didn't hit the OP, a charge ran up his body attempting to connect with the lightning strike (a non-connecting streamer), the lightning hit something else instead. He should do the lotto this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wow lol, nice post, thats pretty crazy man, you are very lucky.
    Hope you dont have any long term effects lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

murrayp4 wrote: »
    The lightning didn't hit the OP, a charge ran up his body attempting to connect with the lightning strike (a non-connecting streamer), the lightning hit something else instead. He should do the lotto this week.

Thanks for that - and to murrayp4... I found that confusing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭thebiglewbowski

Lucky boy. maby you now have superpowers like powder did

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

does this mean you'll have super-human powers??

if so have you decided on a super-hero name?

yeah ive been really freaked out by the whole thing.

i am very lucky, i could have died, jesus.

irish weather likes to surprise you doesnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Great video. The reaction is brilliant, especially the action replay.:D I'll go halves on a Lotto ticket with you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

haha a young man using an umbrella in snow, did you leave your balls at the gate?

i was trying to not let the camera get wet. but looking back on it, i would rather my camera break than i die. so next time no umbrella for me. it connected with me in my shoulder region cause i was holding the unbrella with no hands. it still tingles a tiny bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

i would rather my camera break than i die. so next time no umbrella for me.

I wouldn't worry about it. Lightning never strikes twice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

The part at the end were you said "oh ****, i just got electrocuted" in slow motion was really funny.

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »

I wouldn't like to bet on that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

OP, let us know if balloons start sticking to ya.

Columbia wrote: »
    OP, let us know if balloons start sticking to ya.

haha will do. no side effects just yet. although it might be like in misfits. i could have some sort of power !

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

stimpson wrote: »
    Strangely enough, thaw on here in Clontarf Dub 3, no proper precip since 7ish and one of the icecycles on my balcony's disapeared along with slow drip!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

ro_chez wrote: »
    Strangely enough, thaw on here in Clontarf Dub 3, no proper precip since 7ish and one of the icecycles on my balcony's disapeared along with slow drip!

That's one of the most irrelevant replies I've ever seen!

Rougies wrote: »
    That's one of the most irrelevant replies I've ever seen!

LOL

It's like some dude with ADHD just walked into a conversation...

To the OP, what an animal piece of footage but jesus christ, stay away from Umbrellas dude!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭nisior

Holy fock man. You just made me never have an umbrella ever again hahaha, although I love my pink and see-through umbrella haha. Why did you have an umbrella anyways?? It wasn't raining? You are beyond lucky mate...go buy some lotto tickets now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

I hope you went to hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

D wrote: »
    The part at the end were you said "oh ****, i just got electrocuted" in slow motion was really funny.

That wasn't slow motion, that's how he talk's since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ro_chez

caseyann wrote: »
    I hope you went to hospital?

No need...just drunk and snow dazzled!!

Advertisement