Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learn how to become Batman in 6 steps

Options
  • 30-11-2010 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭

You Could Become Batman, Says Scientist

Sure, Batman is cool and all, but he's a work of pure fiction, right? Well, a Canadian scientist and lifelong Batman aficionado has examined the Dark Knight's skills and figured out how regular people could transform themselves into real-life Batmen and Batwomen. There are only six not-so-easy steps to a Bat-enhanced you. Better start training now, because it's going to take about 20 years before you're ready to mete out justice on the mean streets of Gotham City... or Boise.

Professor E. Paul Zehr studies kinesiology and neuroscience at the University of Victoria in British Columbia, Canada. His credentials don't end there: he also practices martial arts and has been collecting Batman comics since he was a kid. He examined hundreds of issues of Batman comics, as well as the films, and worked out exactly what skills Batman has and what it would tale to acquire those skills in real life.

1). Train Your Brain - It takes a lot of natural mental acuity to become the World's Greatest Detective, but you can sharpen your thinking skills with practice (and maybe a steady diet of Murder, She Wrote episodes). But Batman's fighting skills rely on mental focus as much as physical ability. It would take years of dedicated combat and gymnastic training to develop the innate sense of body position and movement necessary.

2). Train Your Eyes - You'll need great eyesight to pick out details at a crime scene, and a wide field of vision to track multiple opponents in a fight. It's not like the Joker is only going to have a single henchmen. Dr. Zehr suggests working on exercises that can widen your field of peripheral vision and visual focus.

3). Eat Lots of Bread - Dr. Zehr considered Bruce Wayne's activity level and determined that he needs to eat about 4,000 calories per day, mostly carbs.

4). Practice a Lot - All the different situations Batman deals with require a combination of strength and agility that's almost impossible for a human to achieve. You can get one or the other, but gaining both will require a training regimen Dr. Zehr describes as, "even more varied than a decathlete's."

5). Buy Heavy Curtains - To fight crime all night, you'll need to sleep most of the day in a very dark room. Otherwise your body clock will by totally screwed up, like having jet lag 24/7.

6). Punch Wooden Posts - This martial arts technique is used to strengthen the bones that take the brunt of the force when delivering Bat-punches. Might want to throw in some heavy running and jump training, so your ankles don't snap when you drop off a three-story building.

All told, Dr. Zehr figures it would take about 20 years of training to accomplish all this (he also discusses some of the technoligical limitations we face in replicating Batman's gadgets), and it will work best if you start during childhood. So what are you waiting for? Image by: DC.

Zero to hero: Scientist could turn you into Batman. [The Independent]

http://io9.com/5035492/you-could-become-batman-says-scientist

It may take a few years, but those who aren't working can train and get the country in better shape for the future.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

He clearly forgot the "dead parents" bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Or pick up a fancy dress costume from argos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

He also forgot one of the most important steps:

Talk like you've had a tracheotomy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

We have The Citizen, to hell with Batman! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

And don't put nipples on the batsuit. I'm looking at you Clooney!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Ruu wrote: »
    We have The Citizen, to hell with Batman! :cool:

But where is he in our hour of need.

Boardsies Citizen signal is needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭Craebear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Batman's a detective :confused: I thought he just kicked the shit out of scummers and lusted after women in kat suits

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

And don't put nipples on the batsuit. I'm looking at you Clooney!
    Think Kilmer had them too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Being the richest man in Gothom also helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Saila wrote: »
    Batman's a detective :confused:

Batman is a scientist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Dancor wrote: »
    Batman is a scientologist.

Ah no, they didn't get another one did they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I defo reckon I could have step 5 nailed in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

He clearly forgot the "dead parents" bit.

Not to mention "have a pale young boy come to live with you in your isolated country mansion".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

bonerm wrote: »
    Not to mention "have a pale young boy come to live with you in your isolated country mansion".

That's how to become Michael Jackson you're thinking of.

Macauley Culkin was a pasty little fellah wasn't he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That's how to become Michael Jackson you're thinking of.

Macauley Culkin was a pasty little fellah wasn't he?

Wait a minute! Batman? Michael Jackson? Michael Jackson? Batman? Ever seen both in the same place? Number of Batman movies since MJ death = .... ZERO!

It's all falling into place.

*cue crying game music*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Batman's a detective :confused: I thought he just kicked the shit out of scummers and lusted after women in kat suits
    Batman is a scientist.
    1). Train Your Brain - It takes a lot of natural mental acuity to become the World's Greatest Detective, but you...

2). Train Your Eyes - You'll need great eyesight to pick out details at a crime scene, and a wide field of vision to track multiple opponents in a fight. It's not like the Joker is only going to have a single henchmen. Dr. Zehr suggests working on exercises that can widen your field of peripheral vision and visual focus.

I think that means you're out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

4 steps done, 2 to go :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

• Registered Users Posts: 81,684 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

!!!

Hand in your Batman card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Someone should kick batman in the face, but who.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Forgert Batman, we need V to take down the government

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I can do the lusting after women in catsuits bit

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Batman is a scientist.

It's scientologist dummy!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

7. Be fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Putin is Batman apparently.

Or er... Batman is Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

I think that means you're out

I think this means you dont get Simpson quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Take 6 steps back from the edge of the nearest tallest building, then run forward. You'll be Batman for a few seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 anathem

Take 6 steps back from the edge of the nearest tallest building, then run forward. You'll be Batman for a few seconds.

...and then be forever known as Splatman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Lirange

Some of us seem to be confusing Batman with other superheroes ... ones that can actually fly.

Advertisement