Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Lekky ..........only in Ireland.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

MidlandsM wrote: »
    Well don't post then in reply.:rolleyes: ......and it is my business and yours but maybe your too much of a moron to realise that?:confused:
    Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Ohhhhhh... that's your perk :p

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭chakotha

Yeah they should be paying benefit in kind tax on it if it is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Free electricity?

In the current climate?

They really need to come back down to earth.

It's this kind of thing that makes me wanna blow a fuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Another outraged citizen moaning about something which is none of their business, this sh1te is getting tiresome at this stage.

How do you arrive at the conclusion that this is none of our business?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭MazG

How do you arrive at the conclusion that this is none of our business?

Well, is it really any of our business exactly how the remuneration package of employees of semi-state bodies is made up? So long as BIK taxes are being paid, I don't see this as being a problem. So long as the overall level of remuneration is appropriate, given current budgetary constraints, then how it is made up is really none of my concern

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Another outraged citizen moaning about something which is none of their business, this sh1te is getting tiresome at this stage.
    Well don't post then in reply.:rolleyes: ......and it is my business and yours but maybe your too much of a moron to realise that?:confused:

Well... i....never!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Please don't tell me Central Bank staff get free cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Hardly a shocking revelation.

They get a staff discount on their electricity, not sure if it depends on your position or years working there any more.

I know it was 50% in some cases, was hardly a secret and certainly is nothing new, Varadkar must have only just discovered it. They also used to get a discount in the now-closed ESB shops, fairly basic perk.

Staff in Brown Thomas get a discount on stuff sold there, yet some people can't afford to shop in BT. Same deal Leo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

so fcuking sick of this place...........its gets worse....:rolleyes:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/varadkar-some-esb-staff-getting-free-electricity-483879.html

Do you feel the same about Free Internet:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

"Get off your high horse!" - the standard response by someone who doesn't like another person reasonably advising them of the flaws in their argument and doesn't have anything else to retort with.
    From the same family as "FACT" as concrete proof that an unsubstantiated claim/an opinion is actually the irrefutable truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,995 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

A lot of TDs should get free electricity, 50,000 volts each whilst strapped to a chair.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Employees get BIK from company shocker!!

Seems that begrudgery has taken a new low...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Bollox.:mad:

The only "bollox" is your "only in Ireland" bit in the subject.
    "Only in every company in the world" is more apt. I think the Joe Duffy callers are the only people who would be outraged by this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Someone asked this a few weeks ago and was told no :)
    Also:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1130/esb.html

'ESB denies free electricity for staff'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

mailforkev wrote: »
    Hardly a shocking revelation..

I saw what you did there :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

MazG wrote: »
    Well, is it really any of our business exactly how the remuneration package of employees of semi-state bodies is made up? So long as BIK taxes are being paid, I don't see this as being a problem. So long as the overall level of remuneration is appropriate, given current budgetary constraints, then how it is made up is really none of my concern

And who decides on whether these parameters are being adhered to.?

Look, we took our eyes off the banks which were pvt companies and look what happened.

The ESB is a semi-state, therefore it behoves the taxpayer who funds them to be interested on how the company is run.

As a taxpayer I am very interested in how these companies are run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ESB workers must be the most cosetted in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

It happens in other countries too, so the "only in Ireland" line is a bit ridiculous. People throw that line out despite often having zero knowledge of what actually happens in other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

mike65 wrote: »
    ESB workers must be the most cosetted in the country.

That's somewhat of a throwaway remark from someone who's been on here eighteen hours a day, for years. No offence like.

People should take a more rounded view than believing everything that the likes of the Sindo tell them about profitable semi state companies that pump profit back into the exchequer year on year, and maintain infrastructure to the highest standard without additional expense to the state.

Profit levels would be a lot more reasonable (as in less hard for some people to take) if the regulator didn't distort the market.

The workers do not get free electricity, they receive a discount as do many other employees.

They don't all get 100k a year either :rolleyes:

Varadkar, whom I thought had a bit more cop on, should know better than to make such populist uninformed jabberings. Why didn't he go and find out first, and then make a comment if he wanted to?

I know why already, they have taken it as read that OUR pension reserve fund is shagged, and want to whip up public opinion as regards selling off the only assets we have left, our networks, railways etc.

In twenty years, when half our electrical lines are lying on ditches, brownouts are regular, our utilities require state monies each year, and the whole of Europe has outrun us in the usage of sustainable energy, we can thank the likes of Varadkar.

• Advertisement

Actually, I've just read Ste.phen's link from RTE, above.

Not quite as damning as some here have portrayed, to either ESB staff, or Varadkar.

Either way, LV had his reasons for asking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Paparazzo wrote: »
    The only "bollox" is your "only in Ireland" bit in the subject.
    Yeah "only in Ireland" do people whinge on a loop about stuff that could happen anywhere as something that could happen "only in Ireland".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That's somewhat of a throwaway remark from someone who's been on here eighteen hours a day, for years. No offence like.

cheap shot alert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

red menace wrote: »
    Fine Gael really scraping the bottom of the barrell on this one

I don't think they are, i think the esb live in a dream world. We are charged massive money for electricity while they are paid crazy wages and they did not have any of the paycuts or levies the public service had. Also every time i see an ebs truck or van its a brand new mercedes. Surely some of this money could go towards lowering the cost of electricity to the rest of us.

In fairness Mike, throwing a dig at 7,800 people from the comfort of ones chair is a bit of a cheap shot, yeah.

sollar wrote: »
    I don't think they are, i think the esb live in a dream world. We are charged massive money for electricity while they are paid crazy wages and they did not have any of the paycuts or levies the public service had. Also every time i see an ebs truck or van its a brand new mercedes. Surely some of this money could go towards lowering the cost of electricity to the rest of us.

Perhaps they should drive around in twenty year old vehicles that break down on the way to an emergency, and cost twice as much to run.

FFS educate yourself on why energy costs are so high in this country.

Here's a hint, wage costs have bugger all to do with it.

Perhaps they should drive around in twenty year old vehicles that break down on the way to an emergency

God i was anticipating that sort of response even as i was writing the thread :rolleyes:

20 years you say...... well try 5 or 8 or something like most other companies. Not shiney new all the time.

Herp derp, they're not all shiny new, and they are now lifed for fifteen years in some cases.

Herp derp, they're not all shiny new, and they are now lifed for fifteen years in some cases.

Not the ones i see.....

and i won't resort to calling you stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

sollar wrote: »

I remember hearing before that Ireland had the lowest (or close to it) energy prices in the EU back when ESB had a monopoly of the market. The energy regulator decided it would be a good idea to introduce competition to the market so to encourage competitors to set up here they raised the price of electricity to make it more attractive for new entrants. So the regulator sets the prices and set them high to get new entrants into the market to encourage competition and bring about lower prices.

I doubt it's true because it sounds stupid but it wouldn't surprise me.

Advertisement