Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would happen if drink prices were raised sky high in the budget?

Options
  • 30-11-2010 7:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Say all drinks goes up to 2 euro. Both pints and cans.

Bet there would be a huge protest organised then ;)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

There'd be a sudden increase in poitin making!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

peoples would stockpile in nordyland...... simples !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    Say a pint of bud goes up to 6 euro or some crazy high prize.

Or they'd switch to Heineken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I hate to be the bearer of bad news op......
    But loads of pubs have been charging €6 (and sometimes above) for pints ofgoats piss bud for AGES in some parts of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

well based on the fact that pints are €6 (and higher) in some places in dublin, i would predict that those places would be mad busy if temple bar is anything to go by :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Budweiser is piss. They can put it to €100 for all I care.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I don't care how much they pay me, I ain't drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I'd be setting up a poitin still, a home brew kit and I'd stockpile smithwicks like canned goods before a war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I'd stop drinking and start doing activities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

It wouldn't affect me in any way, whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aerahL

If that thing would happen, maybe I'll take out a personal loan to have an extra budget for one month alcoholic drink. Or maybe I'll just cut off a little of my alcohol intake. And worse I'll just have an abstinence in alcohol. I hope one my three ideas would work.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What if what if

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It would cost more to get drunk, would be the logical conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

A lot more people would get addicted to prescription drugs.

I've prepared for this eventuality by starting homebrewing. Pubs are a different story however.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The gov would make more money clearly....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Sales would be lost and hundreds would head North! Don't worry the Government know where the easiest tax comes from!!!

Biggest worry I would see would be 50c! They know if they raise it much higher that with is budgets cuts no one will be able to afford it and they will lose a holy fortune!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Say all drinks goes up to 2 euro. Both pints and cans.

What's the name of your local? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Jackie Healy Rea would go on a rant and walk out on the Government and possibably causing a general election. It would be then known as "FF, the government brought down by drink"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Nothing would happen - this is Ireland. If the what happened last Saturday is the best we can muster, after the rape of our little nation by the ECB and IMF.Then Drink prices rising won't stir sh1t!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Cabaal wrote: »
    The gov would make more money clearly....

Ni gov would anyway, ours would lose a lot, didn't duty on alcohol go down in the last budget?

Can only see a minimal increase, if any at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

I have homebrewed now for the past 20 years, far cheaper & if you buy the right kits & quality ingredients far far far nicer than the swill you get from any bar or offo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

maxfresh wrote: »
    A lot more people would get addicted to prescription drugs.

A lot more people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amy21

I'd be having a lot less sex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'd just mug rich teenage drinkers outside off-licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The drug dealers will start doing a nice trade in bathtub hooch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

No difference whatsoever. To quote the little auld fella on TV3 last year after the budget, when asked "If the price of drinks goes up, will you stop drinking it?".

"I'll stop drinking it, when they stop making it"

Classic reply (and true)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Taxes on high-strength beers and lagers are to be increased as part of a drive to encourage responsible drinking, it was announced today.

The additional duty will come into effect from autumn 2011 and will be imposed on beer with a strength above 7.5% alcohol by volume, said Downing Street.
    Meanwhile, duties on low-alcohol beers with a strength of 2.8% or less will be reduced.
    The amount of the new tax will be revealed by Chancellor George Osborne in his Budget next spring.
    Prime Minister David Cameron's spokesman declined to comment on its size, but said it was intended to be large enough to influence drinkers' behaviour.
    This follows news that vouchers could be dished out to help "nudge" people towards healthier lifestyle choices under a shake-up of public health which will be unveiled later.
    The Government will set out plans for giving councils responsibility for public health issues.
    Ministers hope this will make it easier to join up services such as transport, leisure facilities and housing and help them tackle obesity, smoking and drinking head-on.
    Local public health directors will work for local authorities instead of the NHS under the proposals.
    Health Secretary Andrew Lansley believes people should be offered incentives to encourage them to make better choices. In turn, councils will be incentivised to get good results.
    The changes will be about behaviour not just introducing laws, he has said.

Andrew Lansley believes people must also take responsibility for themselves
    "People do have personal responsibility as well," he told the BBC ahead of the announcement.
    "The question of whether people smoke is just not an issue of whether the government has passed legislation or not."
    A pot of money from the NHS will be ring-fenced to pay for the ideas as local government budgets face severe cuts.
    "Health premiums" - extra cash - will be directed towards the poorest areas.
    Mr Lansley will set out his ideas in more detail to MPs at 3.30pm but many of the details about how smoking, obesity and booze-culture will be addressed will not be published until next year.
    Prime Minsiter David Cameron has put the "nudge" idea at the centre of his agenda and created a team to look at how behavioural economic and market forces can encourage people to make better choices.

That's in Britain, just been announced. We're next.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭clived2

Shelves would be cleared of Listerine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Now lad..

Don't be giving that shower of cúnts any ideas.

Advertisement