Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New game shop on Grafton St.

Options
  • 29-11-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,316 ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed it today that there is a new Video game shop called 3D Games selling all the various console games right back to PS1
    Some of the prices were high for what they were but it's only new so we'll see how it does
    It's a small shop up near the green end on the left

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

I'd expect the prices to be high considering where it is
    Very expensive to have a shop on Grafton St.

Will take a look next time I'm there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Only back to PS1? That seems a bit of a wasted opportunity if they don't stock anything older

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was in there today and it was empty. Would love to see them do well but they were very expensive and will struggle with the much cheaper HMV sitting bang opposite them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I wonder is it open for the Christmas period only?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I wonder is it open for the Christmas period only?
    I'd say it's probably rented for Christmas to gauge it's popularity. If it works out, then they'll move to somewhere near by. If it doesn't then they might be able to break even over the period.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Any Gamecube games? ^_^

Thanks for the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Do they have any Gamecubes cos I need one badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

pdbhp wrote: »
    Do they have any Gamecubes cos I need one badly

eBay? :D

chin_grin wrote: »
    eBay? :D

Love to but I'm so banned from ebay due to drunken bidding;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Love to but I'm so banned from ebay due to drunken bidding;)
    Turns out there is some justice in the world :eek:

• Advertisement

Turns out there is some justice in the world :eek:

I deserved to be banned nobody needs 12 Master Systems ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭skaterboy

yeh, was in there yesterday, pretty good, as you said, prices a bit high, but i wonder if they do trade ins?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I deserved to be banned nobody needs 12 Master Systems ;)
    Indeed - 12 auctions ruined :(
    I'm sure you've learned your lesson :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Is there any gamecube games???? 3rd time asked lol

Also is there not a brand new retro shop just opened beside market bar on fade st? Must get in there some day.

Indeed - 12 auctions ruined :(
    I'm sure you've learned your lesson :pac::pac:

Yep it was a valuble lesson about crazy purchases when drunk.
    I steer clear of auction sites etc now days just incase I relapse:)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Awful_Bliss

They day the shops in Dublin start to compete with play.com, Amazon, sendit etc (i.e. never) is the day I'll start to buy my games there. The guy who opened that shop is very brave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Had a look there today, completely wasted trip to be honest. Prices are ridiculous, and there were only about 8 ps1 games, including Harry Potter and The Weakest Link. The latest games were about twice the price in HMV across the road.

Only thing of interest was Valyrie Profile 2 for PS2, but it was about twice what you'd pay on ebay. Few Mega Drive games too, but all sports games.

I've seen a few identical shops in London, same layout, same high prices, but they had a lot more older games at least. This place would want to seriously change some pricing if it's to do any business.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

If it's across the road from HMV then it's probably that premises that was temporarily a calendar shop last Christmas. Crazy stuff opening a games shop there!

EDIT: Passed by it today, looks like it took up one of the Herb and Acupuncture shops.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Had a look there today, completely wasted trip to be honest. Prices are ridiculous, and there were only about 8 ps1 games, including Harry Potter and The Weakest Link. The latest games were about twice the price in HMV across the road.

Only thing of interest was Valyrie Profile 2 for PS2, but it was about twice what you'd pay on ebay. Few Mega Drive games too, but all sports games.

I've seen a few identical shops in London, same layout, same high prices, but they had a lot more older games at least. This place would want to seriously change some pricing if it's to do any business.
    15 quid for a ps2 game? , similar for a ps1 disc? crazy prices!
    Horribly overpriced compared to game/gamestop etc

Took another look in there again. €55 for Ninja Blade.

Can't see them lasting too long I'm afraid. Interestingly though, they had signs up for 'franchise oppertunities'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Quote of 25 squids, for ff 7, 8, 9 to be ordered in. Not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

http://www.3dgamescorp.com/index.php

Interestingly this outfit is a US-based franchise. No idea how many stores they have in the US or elsewhere... the site is fairly bare-bones. Dublin is their first store in Europe.

So it's looking like they might be in it for the long-term, but why they chose to open on Grafton Street is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

To be honest, the way I see the shop is at the moment, it's overpriced for what it is.

If I was running that shop, what I'd try doing is:
    - Expand the japanese stuff section. They're selling Boo/Mario beanies which I feel people would want. The beanies are a bit pricey (25 euros) but bulk buying could probs reduce that.

- Expand the old stuff section. They were selling a SNES and SNES games. The games were also pricey (25 euros for Mario All stars (though it's a popular game, maybe that's the expected price?)) Buying stuff online and reselling could work.

In all honesty, the main problem stems from high price of grafton street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Zaffy wrote: »

In all honesty, the main problem stems from high price of grafton street.

Yeah, to be honest if the shop was anywhere else I'd call foul on their prices, but the rent and rates they are paying there must be astronomical :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

IM sure they did homework to see people WILL pay ridiculous prices in this country.

like that shop on talbot street for instance was renowned for huge prices and terrible choices like i never seen anything in there that was even close to good value

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I'd be shocked if they're still open by the end of 2011. Was in there and was pretty disgusted at most of the prices they were selling games for. Their retro section is pretty pathetic as well. €15 for the first harry potter game on ps1? seriously!?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I know the prices have to be high because of location, but the selection in Rage puts this place to shame. Rage won't even bother stocking sports games because they know nobody wants them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dante

I went in there the other day and I honestly cannot see any point in anyone going in there. It has a fairly terrible selection of games, high prices and the shop itself just looks disorganised. Almost every game in there was cheaper in the HMV across the road, let alone on play/Amazon/eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Do they stock any Gamecube games? I went in a few weeks ago, I saw they had a section for gamecube but no games or cubes or anything.
    Place seems like a totle rip but might keep an eye on there.
    Anyone know where i can get a Dreamcast at all? cant find one. Maybe they have one in there.

• Advertisement

No Dreamcast stuff at all. Stuff seemed pretty clueless when I asked about it and asked if it was 'for the Nintendo'.

Advertisement