Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland humour

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

I find it hilarious that some people from various skanger, junkie filled cesspits can make fun of people in the North.

Anyway, generalising is wrong people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Thought "Give my head peace" wasn't too bad, but in the main the typical nordy humour seems to involve a man dressed up as a woman shouting and waving at a crowd. To illustrate - compare and contrast next years BBC comic relief to the BBC NI comic relief.

Brendan O Carroll's from Finglas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Rodin wrote: »
    I bet you find Brendan O'Carroll funny
    Or Deirdre O'kane, or that other woeful bird who pretends to be a Dublin skanger. Somebody Kavanagh.
    Oh and speaking of Kavanagh's, Richie.
    KeithAFC wrote: »
    The republic has some proper ****e comedians who represent them too.

Keith I don't think that was a reply to you, all those mentioned by Rodin are republic embarrassments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Have lived without a tv for two long, I'd forgotten the hideousness of UTV until this thread reminded me of the great Julian.

On thread though, the Queens comedy soc had Colin Murray as their compere, what did TCD have, our AH friend the minster for childrens bro doing the same gig 3 times.

Murray (from Belfast) was key in two of the only decent irish produced comedy shows Blizzard of odd and the Panel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Repetitively defensive black humour deployed to forget about living in a sectarian kip surrounded by serial killers is always welcome. And middle-class TV producers and editors like it - albeit not enough to actually live there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

My Norn Iron mates all have a wicked sense of humour. They don't do PC bull and everything is fair game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah I agree, I have always found NI humour to be fairly lame, going by what I see on TV. Same can be said for ours too though. All we have is Father Ted to save us.

Kasabian wrote: »
    My Norn Iron mates all have a wicked sense of humour. They don't do PC bull and everything is fair game.

That's also known as working class humour which is global. :)

stovelid wrote: »

They are not Global they are from Northern Ireland.

Kasabian wrote: »
    They are not Global they are from Northern Ireland.

Eureka.

• Advertisement

Eureka.

:D:P:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Do they work for global windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joeyjoejoe83

You dont get the NI humour bacause you dont live there, you havent experienced life or stuff that happens there( dont worry, am not gonna go on a tangent about the "struggle" or "political divide").
    I'll give you an example, no one knows anything about the whole north/south dublin humour jokes(/not a joke to some people) in the north. I moved to Dublin 6 years ago and hadnt a clue what people were talking about, it just doesnt exist so why would i understand it. Now that I am living here and experienced living in both sides of dublin, the jokes make more sense.
    Also, the language is different, I worked in my university shop, and someone asked me for a "foolscap"......hadnt a clue what that was, not a notion. "rashers"....again, i got it, but never used that word in my life. I also believed all dublin women were easy cos all the guys "scored" last night, some "scored" 3 or 4 girls....again, score means sex up homenot kissing.
    Nobody heard of potato bread, soda bread, soda farls, wheaten bread when i moved to dublin, and they absolutely had no idea what i was talking about when i said i loved gravy chips from the chinese(NOT NOT NOT superchips, completely different!!!!!!)
    ANyway, you may get some sense of why jokes are funny to us nordies if you experienced life up home.

P.S Frank Carson is a comedian from a different era, you cant say he is crap cos he doesnt have the modern stand ups jokes which nearly always lead to sex, drugs or taking the piss outta celebrities. I dont get him either, but i ma not old enough to get him, I still respect him though, he was huge in the UK, bigger than paddy kielty ever made it over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

kowloon wrote: »
    I'll tell you what's not funny: Sectarian violence. Patrick Kielty

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Examples, please?

Ian Paisley.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

im sure there is a thread on a Norn Iron forum saying how unfunny and poor us irish down the south are..

Im tellin you, they're getting all the old 1980 ethopia jokes and just replacing "ethopian" with "Irish"

Meah..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Captain Planet visited Belfast once and stoped a nuclear bomb going off.

Shows great intelligence especially when the difference between a catholic and protestant area is a garden fence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,611 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Colin Murray is funny. He makes Fighting Talk on 5 Live.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0070hvs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Kevin McAleer is brilliant! So dead pan.

Back in the early 1990s there was this great skit from a few northern comedians where one of them was Ian Paisley, another was Charlie Haughey, another was Gerry Adams and so on and they were all around the same table having a discussion. I'd love to know who they were. It was brilliant. Anybody have any idea what it was called?

Loved so much of McAleer's stuff, from Nighthawks to his 'Turn it On' (we were all sitting around the TV; half of us watching the back of it..." - not forgetting "semtex" the dog) to his 'Chalk and Cheese' show where he talks about going out late one night for a walk at home in Tyrone to discover the meaning of life "Where am I going?" "What am I doing" "What do I want" - "And all of a sudden this van pulls up in front of me and ten armed men in balaclavas get out and ask me the very same questions: "Where are you going?" "What are you doing"?

Brilliant, funny guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Marie Jones's 'A Night in November' has to be one of the funniest plays written in Ireland in the past 30 years. It's just a pity they advertised it as a soccer play rather than as a political play - it was set around the Republic -Northern soccer match in 1993 and the lifechanging experience of a Northern Ireland unionist support as a result of it.

It's much funnier, in my view, than her better known 'Stones in his Pockets'.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Wee Sammy comes running into the kitchen.
    'Mammy, Mammy, he says, 'I want to get married to Jimmy next door.'
    'Don't be silly,' says his mother. 'It's impossible.'
    'But why. Mammy? I love him.'
    'Yer daddy will tell you when he gets home.'
    So Sammy's daddy arrives home, and wee Sammy runs up to him.
    'Daddy, Daddy, I want to marry wee Jimmy next door.'
    'I know,' says his daddy. 'Your mother told me.'
    'Well, can I?' asks wee Sammy.
    'Certainly not, says his daddy. 'It would never work.'
    'Why not. Daddy?'
    'Because he's a Catholic.'

There's a show on now on BBC Norn Irn, it's so so bad.
    Yeah, their humour, at least on telly is fairly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

WindSock wrote: »
    There's a show on now on BBC Norn Irn, it's so so bad.
    Yeah, their humour, at least on telly is fairly pathetic.

I missed that, i was busy watching the Republic Of Telly.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I missed that, i was busy watching the Republic Of Telly.

It makes that look good, that's how bad it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Watching the idiots on "the oirish apprentice" makes me cry out for N.I humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

that "hearts and minds" programme or whatever its called with the computer animated paisley/adams/robinson guff!! totally not funny! and im an ulsterman (albeit republic of ireland)!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Dionysus wrote: »
    Kevin McAleer is brilliant! So dead pan.

Back in the early 1990s there was this great skit from a few northern comedians where one of them was Ian Paisley, another was Charlie Haughey, another was Gerry Adams and so on and they were all around the same table having a discussion. I'd love to know who they were. It was brilliant. Anybody have any idea what it was called?

Loved so much of McAleer's stuff, from Nighthawks to his 'Turn it On' (we were all sitting around the TV; half of us watching the back of it..." - not forgetting "semtex" the dog) to his 'Chalk and Cheese' show where he talks about going out late one night for a walk at home in Tyrone to discover the meaning of life "Where am I going?" "What am I doing" "What do I want" - "And all of a sudden this van pulls up in front of me and ten armed men in balaclavas get out and ask me the very same questions: "Where are you going?" "What are you doing"?

Brilliant, funny guy.

Kevin was class alright, I have a lot of friends up North and I see no discernible difference in mine and their sense of humour. Some comedy shows on BBC NI are rubbish, but no than that Killnash1tbag is also rubbish.

Advertisement