Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cryptozoology

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

"Jeff Meldrum's book 'Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science' brings a much needed level of scientific analysis to the Sasquatch - or Bigfoot - debate. Does Sasquatch exist? There are countless people - especially indigenous people - in different parts of America who claim to have seen such a creature. And in many parts of the world I meet those who, in a matter-of-fact way, tell me of their encounters with large, bipedal, tail-less hominids. I think I have read every article and every book about these creatures, and while most scientists are not satisfied with existing evidence, I have an open mind."
    --Dr. Jane Goodall, DBE UN Messenger of Peace & Founder - the Jane Goodall Institute

"Jeff Meldrum is a scientist, an expert in human locomotor adaptations. In Sasquatch: Legend Meets Science he examines all evidence critically, not to force a conclusion, but to establish a baseline of facts upon which further research can depend. His science is not submerged by opinion and dogmatic assumption. With objectivity and insight he analyzes evidence from tracks, skin ridges on the soles of feet, film footage, and DNA, and he compares it to that on primates and various other species. He disentangles fact from anecdote, supposition, and wishful thinking, and concludes that the search for yeti and sasquatch is a valid scientific endeavor. By offering a critical scrutiny, Sasquatch does more for this field of investigation than all the past arguments and polemics of contesting experts." --Dr. George Schaller, Vice-President of the Wildlife Conservation

As promised the editorial reviews. Pimary a money making exercise is not skeptisim its quite dogmatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110323/tod-official-yeti-probe-planned-after-re-045b8e8.html

I came across this in the CT forum. There is some compelling evidence in Siberia that a Yeti-type creature might exist there. David Attenborough has even weighed in on it.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20110323/tod-official-yeti-probe-planned-after-re-045b8e8.html

I came across this in the CT forum. There is some compelling evidence in Siberia that a Yeti-type creature might exist there. David Attenborough has even weighed in on it.

I saw that thanks, the russian government always took these reports seriously as it was many of their own military that reported them! The name given throughout the region is actually the "almasty" look up their history as far as eyewitnesses go there are some pretty notable people who claimed to have seen them. I heard david attenborough talking about these creatures years ago, even richard dawkins ahd to count them on the more probable side of likely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I thought David Attenborough just made a passing comment on the footprint? Has he written about this too?

Can't say I know anything about the yeti, but I'd find it more plausible than bigfoot (in North America) anyway

Dave! wrote: »
    I thought David Attenborough just made a passing comment on the footprint? Has he written about this too?

Can't say I know anything about the yeti, but I'd find it more plausible than bigfoot (in North America) anyway

One of David attenborugh's first published books was a book called fabulous animals which was on the subject of cryptozoology. He has commented on sasquatch, the yeti and in this case the almasty in a positive light. He doesnt think theres a loch ness monster but he gives creedence existence to the unknown man apes of the world and to things like sea serpents.

What the russian government are looking for here isnt anything like the alleged yeti creature which is described as moving on all fours its a creature called the almasty which has a lot more eye witness reports going for it than the yeti ect.

As regards the reality of such creatures existing I have no problem with any intelligent hominid (as the creatures seem to be) existing in any country with a large amount of wilderness and remaining realtivily undetected. A good example of this was the discovery of 100,000 gorillas found undiscovered in the congo. http://articles.cnn.com/2008-08-05/world/congo.gorillas_1_gorillas-researchers-congolese?_s=PM:WORLD

As regards plauability from a biological point of view the saquatch's alleged territory would be far more likely from a nutritional point of view to be able to support a great ape than thundra regions like tibet.

There are other creatures like the orang pendek of asia that have been witnessed by national geographic employees and the subsequent search has been funded by the national geographic, this to me seems likely to exist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

steddyeddy wrote: »
    does it have a use, is it a real science or should cryptozoolgy be included as a relevant part of zoology?

EDIT: for those unaware of cryptozoology this is a good description

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryptozoology

didn't read the whole thread, so sorry if this point has been made already.

Science is a process of studying natural phenomena. By definition cryptozoolgy doesn't do this since it hasn't discovered the animal it is supposing might exist.

There is nothing wrong with supposing an animal might exist, evolutionary biologists do this all the time, but you can't actually do any of the science until you actually have something to study.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

In plain words I feel it should be included in some zoology branch or some historical research sort of science branch for they can still be reality. If we find some good proofs of their existence by some serious research in ancient documents we can find a all new world creatures.

Advertisement