Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this what passes as journalism these days?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

It reminds me of the reporter in the Wire who was making stories up to win a pulitzer.

Not saying the kid or the letter are not real but the tone of the article is drenched in phoniness.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Pffff they print that tripe and don't even entertain the thought of printing my pictures of Spiderman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Damn, I thought this thread was going to be more AO'R bashing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

I know someone working for the Indo and we were discussing this last night...

He told me how that article came about was that Alison O'R came up with the concept of writing her own heart felt letter to An Taoiseach to see what reply she would get..

She wanted to hand write it for dramatic effect. When she showed it to the sub-editor he was touched by it but decided that the profile of the letter writer needed to be changed to someone of a suitable intellectual capacity..

So they chose an 8 year old child and handed it to another journalist to write a piece on.

AOR was fuming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

If you really want a good laugh, read this letter but imagine a patronising Stewie Griffin voice in your head.

"Dear Mr. Cowen".......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Faith+1 wrote: »
    What do you expect from the Independant? The same newspaper that called for the Volunteers to be executed after the Easter Rising.
    *Would rather use it to wip my ass* than read that drival they call journalism.

Kinky

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭judestynes

Whatever about the article or the letter itself, I'd like to commend this young fellow for giving a shít in the first place. Most eight year olds today wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

bonerm wrote: »
    /Disappointed to open not-latest-AlisonO'Riordan-bashing thread. :(

I was going to suggest that she was using a pseudonym to evade AH.
    ebixa82 wrote:
    I know someone working for the Indo and we were discussing this last night...

...I want to believe this but...

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

judestynes wrote: »
    Whatever about the article or the letter itself, I'd like to commend this young fellow for giving a shít in the first place. Most eight year olds today wouldn't.
    he only give's a sh1t about his pressies. Most 8 year olds today would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

If she doesn't want to lie why make up crap about Santa not making presents?

So this is the hub of the problem - she has screwed up on Santa provision and wants to blame someone else.

She stages the whole thing here and gets paid for it.

Does the money go to get presents sweets and toys for Junior -No.

This is outrageous.

She needs to be Named and Shamed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

From the look of that letter, it's Education ministers past and present that he should be directing his ire towards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I blame the parents for allowing the paper to print this as written by their son when clearly it was not. The parents should be ashamed and so should the editor.

Im suprised the did not try and say he is a future leader of this country.

As for the mother having to work, most mothers have to work she is hardly the only mother in the country working.

Advertisement