Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the best place to emigrate to?

Options
  • 24-11-2010 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭

Simple question. I think most young people will have no option but to emigrate. Even though I have a full time job that is secure I see no future here in Ireland. Already done the year in Australia. Where should I be thinking of?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Simple question. I think most young people will have no option but to emigrate. Even though I have a full time job that is secure I see no future here in Ireland. Already done the year in Australia. Where should I be thinking of?

South Kerry. The austerity measures don't apply there compliments of the Healy Rea mafia:D

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭MGMTea

Im also looking to emigrate, i'm still in school so I should probbaly start planning while i'm young :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Canada probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

anywhere in the eu is an option! Plenty of jobs over here just a language barrier but most people speak "Engels"!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭listermint

' Even though i have a full time job here which is secure'

Get off it OP will you, Get off it. Tired of these nonsense doldrum threads.
    Your working , Maybe its your job that is making you unhappy concentrate on that being the source of your unhappyines rather than the unknown that you are assuming will happen in 10 years.

BTW best place to emigrate to - Mayo. its beautiful country out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

listermint wrote: »

Your working , Maybe its your job that is making you unhappy concentrate on that being the source of your unhappyines rather than the unknown that you are assuming will happen in 10 years.

Absolutely no point staying around here to spend the next several decades of your life working to pay off the incredible hubris of middle aged retards if you're young enough and free enough to GTFO.

Ride away off on your high horse if you're not going to offer advice on the issue asked about imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

'
    Shame about the natives though:P.
    I'm thinking of heading off to Canada, nice friendly locals, beautiful scenery and all that wide open space, a job would be nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

I'm with you on this one. PS suffered very little maybe the lower paid have but in reality why are nurses, teachers, gaurds the best paid in Europe. We don't have an economy to sustain their level of wages. That is why people are annoyed, before anyone asks, and yes we all feel we do a worthwhile demanding job. The injustice of it all is really getting to me, 166 TD's for a population the size of greater Manchester who survive on 27. Taoisach paid nearly as much as Barack Obama.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Climber

I emigrated to switzerland four months ago, I feel so lucky yet guilty of having made the move.

We could learn a lot from this country. Real democracy and local government, everyone feels represented.

God bless Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Koloman

You have a point. There have been multiple threads started on this topic and I think the OP needs to check these out first. It just gets depressing when people keep starting new threads about it.

Many people never saw the bust coming so lets hope there's a chance the recovery is not as far away as people seem to think.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Absolutely no point staying around here to spend the next several decades of your life working to pay off the incredible hubris of middle aged retards if you're young enough and free enough to GTFO.

Ride away off on your high horse if you're not going to offer advice on the issue asked about imo.

Working to pay off what, youll pay just as high taxes in many countries so where are you getting that from??

Why cant someone quite happily work here and live out there life as we've being doing for 100's of years.

'Incredible hubris of middle aged retards' ireland has one of the youngest populations in the eu.

Whos on the high horse? im tired of this rubbish from people who are clearly employed in steady jobs. I gave the OP and answer. Who says there is no future here, you? Forget the financial situation is there anything else that is bothering the OP work /life.

Im not on a high horse. Im very young ive been to Oz to and around the globe in fact. And im quite happy here despite our recent news. We have a beautiful island and beautiful people on it. Dont forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Always number 1

femur61 wrote: »
    I'm with you on this one. PS suffered very little maybe the lower paid have but in reality why are nurses, teachers, gaurds the best paid in Europe. We don't have an economy to sustain their level of wages. That is why people are annoyed, before anyone asks, and yes we all feel we do a worthwhile demanding job. The injustice of it all is really getting to me, 166 TD's for a population the size of greater Manchester who survive on 27. Taoisach paid nearly as much as Barack Obama.

What do the public servants have to do with where the OP wants to emigrate to? :rolleyes:

Oh and on another note,

It is precisely the 'look after me' / 'f everyone ' / 'im blowing off outta here' attitude that has us where we are. Politicians have it, Developers had it, The Wealthy have it, and it has fed into the general population that caught it like a disease over the last number of boom years.

Maybe we can now get some of our community attitude restored when people arent in a race to look after number one and keep up with their neighbours kitchens / cars/ holiday homes.

To the OP, Asses your own self first. Dont start thinking about what might or could happen. The Economy is the econmomy.

Marc Coleman is asking the question on Newstalk later at 10pm, whether the Irish have a form of self loathing.

We overexagerated the country when we had the boom and now we're overdoing the gloom now we have the bust.

Koloman wrote: »
    Marc Coleman is asking the question on Newstalk later at 10pm, whether the Irish have a form of self loathing.

We overexagerated the country when we had the boom and now we're overdoing the gloom now we have the bust.

Id 100% agree with it. Folks cant seem to get a grip.

We lost the grip for the past 15 years. And were losing it again.

Family and your health are all that matters. Believe me there are far far worse things out there than watching our money troubles on the 6 1. I know first hand.

Oh and on another note,

It is precisely the 'look after me' / 'f everyone ' / 'im blowing off outta here' attitude that has us where we are. Politicians have it, Developers had it, The Wealthy have it, and it has fed into the general population that caught it like a disease over the last number of boom years.

Maybe we can now get some of our community attitude restored when people arent in a race to look after number one and keep up with their neighbours kitchens / cars/ holiday homes.

To the OP, Asses your own self first. Dont start thinking about what might or could happen. The Economy is the econmomy.

True. It a bit selfish to just bailout (no pun intended) especially when you have a secure job.

I have genuine sympathy for people who just can't secure work and need to emigrate but this isn't the case with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Oh and on another note,

Who the hell do you think you are to judge me and judge my life!! I'm perfectly entitled to emigrate if I choose to.

My life is OK here but I want more then OK. Why settle for something OK when I could have a better life somewhere else. If it doesn't work out I can come home. Ireland is ruined we'll be paying back a debt we can't afford, a debt I in no way contributed to why should I lose 40% of my pay to pay for FF incompetence!!!

Who the hell do you think you are to judge me and judge my life!! I'm perfectly entitled to emigrate if I choose to.

My life is OK here but I want more then OK. Why settle for something OK when I could have a better life somewhere else. If it doesn't work out I can come home. Ireland is ruined we'll be paying back a debt we can't afford, a debt I in no way contributed to why should I lose 40% of my pay to pay for FF incompetence!!!

Grass is always greener man, always greener.

You came on looking for opinions on emigration so you got some. Dont like them then dont ask! The topic has been covered and covered and covered. If you were that interested youd research it rather than starting another spurious thread because you watched the news and are angry at the government.

I can judge who i like its a free country, where you probably got heavily subsidised education to put you in the position you are now. But yeah by all means look after yourself. Doesnt bother me, I was merely giving my opinion on your query and other queries that are similar in this public forum.
    :cool:

Grass is always greener maybe? Since you pay 40% of your pay then you must have a relatively well paid job. Many of us don't even have a job!

It's no good sounding pretentious when you get a opinion you don't like. You asked for a judgement about your life don't forget!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

40% of your pay

please elaborate....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 mashtobi

i couldnt help but read yere posts. I want to leave this country so bad, im a qualified bookkeeper, ive never applied for a passport ever, never been abroad PRONTO!

I would like to know the steps in getting a job abroad, and the ups and downs and general proper way of securing a new life abroad, aswell as suggesting what would be the best country to apply to.

Will be glad to hear your comments, i feel so suffocated with all this **** goin down in Dail Eireann:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Poland

Australia don't want a "bunch of quitters" coming out here to bleed our country dry then pack up and piss off again cause the grass is greener somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

old_aussie wrote: »
    Poland

Australia don't want a "bunch of quitters" coming out here to bleed our country dry then pack up and piss off again cause the grass is greener somewhere else.

aussies are very nice people and I'm clearly just bitter and jealouse.

Fysh Sez: "If you can't be nice, at least don't be a complete prat. Keep it civil next time and leave the xenophobia at home".

mashtobi wrote: »
    i couldnt help but read yere posts. I want to leave this country so bad, im a qualified bookkeeper, ive never applied for a passport ever, never been abroad PRONTO!

I would like to know the steps in getting a job abroad, and the ups and downs and general proper way of securing a new life abroad, aswell as suggesting what would be the best country to apply to.

Will be glad to hear your comments, i feel so suffocated with all this **** goin down in Dail Eireann:mad:

TBH, Your posts sound pretty nonsensical. A qualified Book keeper would know how to get a passport. So im no convinced you are looking for advice.

Good day to you sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Working to pay off what, youll pay just as high taxes in many countries so where are you getting that from??

Why cant someone quite happily work here and live out there life as we've being doing for 100's of years.

'Incredible hubris of middle aged retards' ireland has one of the youngest populations in the eu.

Whos on the high horse? im tired of this rubbish from people who are clearly employed in steady jobs. I gave the OP and answer. Who says there is no future here, you? Forget the financial situation is there anything else that is bothering the OP work /life.

Im not on a high horse. Im very young ive been to Oz to and around the globe in fact. And im quite happy here despite our recent news. We have a beautiful island and beautiful people on it. Dont forget that.

W Have a beautiful island and beaufiful people on it..!!!! Are you Joking?? you cant be possibly scerious:eek:

OP Thailand is very nice all year around:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Everybody take a step back and cool off.

The OP in this thread was looking for advice on emigration. Since then we've had entire nationalities being insulted, silly attempts to blame emigrants for the state of the nation, and failed attempts at humour.

Cop on, all of ye. If you want to act the maggot, go and do it in After Hours or The Cuckoos Next. The next person to post anything other than a helpful and constructive response is getting banned.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Climber wrote: »
    I emigrated to switzerland four months ago, I feel so lucky yet guilty of having made the move.

We could learn a lot from this country. Real democracy and local government, everyone feels represented.

God bless Ireland

I've been here 20 years, give it time, it's not all that good.

The entire political system is designed to preserve the status qua - elections are rather pointless, since everyone knows that the government will be exactly the same as the previous one - two ministers each from the three main parties and 1 from the other, in most cases it's even the same people..... Very few young people bother to vote since they feel it is pointless..... And of course since all of the parties are in government... where is the opposition!

Having said that more of the same is good enough for me :D

Were are you btw,

Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The Middle East.

They actually do not know the meaning of the word recession.

Seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭MarkD.

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    The Middle East.

They actually do not know the meaning of the word recession.

Seriously.

What kind of jobs could an Irish person walk into over there? What is in demand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭delonglad

MarkD. wrote: »
    What kind of jobs could an Irish person walk into over there? What is in demand?

Plenty of jobs in oil rigs and the like. Mechanical, Electrical, Civil Engineers could all do well out there. My uncle (Irish American) has been in Dubai for 5 years now and he is making more money than sense!

Advertisement