Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Andriod

Options
  • 22-11-2010 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭

Hello

Ive been a nokia user since ive had my first mobile phone and am now getting a HTC.

With nokia, you would connect to the phones via nokia pc suite and use nokia OVI to download apps and software

Now that I am moving to a HTC which uses andriod, where do I go to get the andriod apps. DO I need to install software you need to install on your PC so that you can connect to the phone ?

I have heard the word cupcake mentioned but dont know what that is

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,465 ✭✭✭✭kippy

obi604 wrote: »
    Hello

Ive been a nokia user since ive had my first mobile phone and am now getting a HTC.

With nokia, you would connect to the phones via nokia pc suite and use nokia OVI to download apps and software

Now that I am moving to a HTC which uses andriod, where do I go to get the andriod apps. DO I need to install software you need to install on your PC so that you can connect to the phone ?

I have heard the word cupcake mentioned but dont know what that is

Any help appreciated
    You can download the apps direct from your phone via a wireless network connection or over the 3GNetwork.
    Cupcake is the name of a particular version of Andriod. (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

You will have a 'Market' app on your new phone. This is where you go to get Apps. There are other places you can get them too but that will be your first port of call.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Theres an android market application pre-installed on the phones so you would just download them over your phones data-connection/wi-fi.

Cupcake is an old version of android.Google names all the updates after desserts
    1.5 = Cupcake
    1.6 = Donut
    2.0/2.1 = Eclair
    2.2 = Froyo
    2.3 = Gingerbread(next one coming out)

Most HTCs are 2.1/2.2 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭obi604

Theres an android market application pre-installed on the phones so you would just download them over your phones data-connection/wi-fi.

Cupcake is an old version of android.Google names all the updates after desserts
    1.5 = Cupcake
    1.6 = Donut
    2.0/2.1 = Eclair
    2.2 = Froyo

Lovely, thanks for this reply, was wondering what in the hell all this cupcake, froyo etc. was all about

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Any of yee know if I can download a T9 touch keyboard ( as opposed to the qwerty touch screen keyboard )

You don't have to download one, its available in the keyboard settings. When you rotate the phone to landscape it always goes to qwerty though

Enjoy your new phone, you will not regret the change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Have a look through here for some nice apps to get you started.

http://www.bestandroidappsreview.com/

1.5 = Cupcake
    1.6 = Donut
    2.0/2.1 = Eclair
    2.2 = Froyo

theteal wrote: »
    You don't have to download one, its available in the keyboard settings. When you rotate the phone to landscape it always goes to qwerty though

Enjoy your new phone, you will not regret the change

Thanks for all the replies and help

Well the thing is im getting a HTC G1. Your probbaly wondering why I got this one but I just like the fact it has a touch screen and a keyboard and a trackball as the totally touch screen only phones wreck me head

And I think because its an older type phone, ( probbaly on cupcake ) it may have the qwerty touch screen keyboard but not the T9 keypad, so I may have to download this t9 keypad

If youre looking for a Qwerty take a look at the HTC Desire Z or the Motorola Milestone.
    The G1 is 2 years old, has terrible onboard memory and is pretty slow too.
    If youre set on it take a look at rooting guides online and especially take a look at Cyanogenmod cause tbh without rooting it youre gonna be severely diappointed since a lot of apps wont work on it anymore. ( The G1 was never officially updated past Donut)

Right, sounds like the G1 is not up to much so : (

So what does the rooting guides do........allow me to update the phone higher than the donut version of software ? i.e. to Froyo etc. ?

Sure if thats the case and I can update the software version to Froyo, the HTC g1 might not be too bad

Well the G1 was the 1st android device and phones have advanced a lot since its release even though it was only 2 years.I had one until may when I changed to a desire.

Rooting is getting full access to the phone system files. This allows custome software to be put on it so modders like cyanogen have gotten newer versions working on old hardware. The biggest problem is the G1 has fcuk all internal memory so a lot of newer roms have to share with the SD card.Its all explained in the rooting guides but id recommend a newer phone if you can.

• Advertisement

Get ya. Thanks for the help

Only thing is with the newer phones, is they cost more dosh : )

im just looking to get a SIM free phone

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Android phones tend to eat data.

You might want to put the "Mobile" icon on the home screen so you can disconnect it when you don't need a connection.

what does the "mobile " icon do ??

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Android phones tend to eat data.

You might want to put the "Mobile" icon on the home screen so you can disconnect it when you don't need a connection.

They dont tend to eat much more data than any other smart phone.
    It depends on what apps you have synching and how often they synch as well as youtube (and similiar apps) useage.
    I find a 1 gig monthly data sub is only about 20% utilised in a standard month.

The mobile icon will allow you to turn on/off the data connection (3G) thus saving you bandwidth costs (really only an issue if on PAYG data connectivity)

hello, quick q, in order for me to be able to use the andrriod market and also the calendar on the phone, do I have to setup a google e-mail account ??

hello, quick q, in order for me to be able to use the andrriod market and also the calendar on the phone, do I have to setup a google e-mail account ??

Yes, a google account is required. (Maybe not for some of the calendar apps) but defo for the Market.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭28064212

No, you do not need a google e-mail account. You do however need a google account, which you can create using your already existing email address from any provider

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Is there any way I can see on an anrdoid all the apps I have open or do they just close automatically when I press the back key ?

Also, any way to close off the 3g connection thats up on the toolbar, how do I dis connect that ?

sorry for all the stooopid q's

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Is there any way I can see on an anrdoid all the apps I have open or do they just close automatically when I press the back key ?
    They close automatically, or they're shoved into the background where they don't consume resources
    Also, any way to close off the 3g connection thats up on the toolbar, how do I dis connect that ?
    Do you want to turn off your mobile data connection completely? Install the "APN OnOff" widget from the market.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I had a look around on an android and cannot find a simple thing so as when you lock the phone, that to unlock it, it will ask you for a password ( as opposed to that swipey thing ) anyone know of an app where it asks you to enter a pssword when you try to unlock the screen ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

It's built in...

Go to Settings>Location & Security>Set Screen Lock> and select PIN rather than Pattern.

there is also a SIM card lock which may offer a higher level of security

Advertisement