Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish PM confirms EU rescue deal

Options
  • 22-11-2010 3:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

linkeh

Republic of Ireland confirms EU financial rescue deal

Irish PM Brian Cowen: "We are now in a position to apply for assistance"
    Continue reading the main story
    Global Economy

* Q&A: Irish Republic finances
    * Portuguese fear EU debt contagion
    * Europe's bad debt 'dominoes'?
    * Q&A: Why bond markets matter

The Republic of Ireland and the EU have agreed a financial rescue package, Irish PM Brian Cowen has confirmed.

The Taoiseach said the amount and terms would be negotiated in the coming days with the EU and the IMF.

Irish Finance Minister Brian Lenihan said the amount would be less than 100bn euros (£85bn; $136bn). The UK and Sweden have also offered direct loans.

The crisis has been brought on by the recession and the almost total collapse of Ireland's banks, analysts say.

Once known as the Celtic Tiger for its strong economic growth - helped by low corporate tax rates - a property bubble burst, leaving the country's banks with huge liabilities and pushing up the cost of borrowing for them and the government.

Dear bbc,
    Please make your mind up on which political addressing your are using...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭High energy

Think that's the least of our worries right now mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Oh FFS sake, get over it, at least they reported the facts, unlike our own national broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

The BBC have loads of rules for these kind of language problems. All their writers and broadcasters have to follow them. I'd say this is a case where for the first instance they have to refer to him as PM or Prime Minister so it's clear to a British or Global audience, and after that you can use the word Taoiseach as most people would realise it's the Irish word we use.

There's a similar story with Derry/Londonderry. It's always referred to Londonderry in the first instance, and every time after as Derry.

It's just a method they have for clarity in most cases and to keep diplomatic relations with people on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Buceph wrote: »
    The BBC have loads of rules for these kind of language problems. All their writers and broadcasters have to follow them. I'd say this is a case where for the first instance they have to refer to him as PM or Prime Minister so it's clear to a British or Global audience, and after that you can use the word Taoiseach as most people would realise it's the Irish word we use.

There's a similar story with Derry/Londonderry. It's always referred to Londonderry in the first instance, and every time after as Derry.

It's just a method they have for clarity in most cases and to keep diplomatic relations with people on others.

So because they call polititions PM's we can call their prime minister an taoiseach? Can I say the same for any country or is this just typical take the piss outta paddys land? Kind of like utv won't show the republic (anything south of the northern border) for weather. Apparently we don't exist.

No I'm not a nationalist etc etc just pointing out the interchangability of addressing the head of our state regardless of how much down the toilet we are, we still deserve to be addressed correctly no?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

congo_90 wrote: »
    So because they call polititions PM's we can call their prime minister an taoiseach? Can I say the same for any country or is this just typical take the piss outta paddys land? Kind of like utv won't show the republic (anything south of the northern border) for weather. Apparently we don't exist.

No I'm not a nationalist etc etc just pointing out the interchangability of addressing the head of our state regardless of how much down the toilet we are, we still deserve to be addressed correctly no?

The BBC run a mainly English language news service, read, listened to and watched across the world. Establishing in plain English who he is, then giving the correct Irish title after, once people know what his position is is quite reasonable. We don't ever call the leaders in the middle east by their Farsi titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

What do you call a Chinese Prime Minister?

"Special Chow Mein"?

No you call him the Chinese Prime Minister because you don't know Mandarin. Get over it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭johnn

Glad you started this thread OP, we were lacking a place to discuss this issue on boards. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Hope this doesnt bother you then

New York Times

"Mr. Cowen, a garrulous man with a rough and ready common touch, also served as finance minister during the Irish boom earlier this decade. During the press conference, he was hit with a number of tough questions and accusations from journalists — a reflection of the mounting anger at the banks and real estate developers, who are generally perceived to be responsible for the three consecutive years of negative growth that have battered Irish citizens"

“There will be a lot of pain for the taxpayer and a lot of people will lose their jobs,” said Michael Noonan, the chief economic spokesman for Fine Gael, the main opposition party.
    “But the option was to be insolvent,” he added, “and if that is the option, it’s either the devil or the deep blue sea, so you might as well negotiate with the devil.”

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Prime minister or premier is his role as most commonly described in the English speaking world, I can live with it being used once for clarity, I certainly wouldn't see it as piss-taking.

And he's not our head of state.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

See here

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement