Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deathly Hallows Part 1 Film

Options
  • 20-11-2010 2:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭

Can't believe no one has posted about it yet!

Was it good?!

Going tomorrow night myself . . .looking forward to it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Saw it last night and I absolutely LOVED it.

BUT I think you have to have read the book to like it. Of all the reviews I'd read/heard in the past week, the reviewers who gave it the best reviews were the ones who were fans of the books, and those who hadn't read the books weren't as pushed on it.

It stays so true to the book. My sister and I have gone to see all the HP movies together along with her boyfriend, who gets pissed off because we sit through the whole movies going "that's different to the book" but we rarely had to speak to each other during this one :D My sister's boyfriend didn't like it (he hasn't read the books). He said it was boring. There is a good hour without a whole lot of action but that's the same in the book. The last half hour or so is full of action and that's what the whole next movie will be like I imagine.

The acting is great. Emma Watson is way more watchable than in any of the other movies, but Rupert Grint stole it for me. Obviously we don't get to see a huge amount of other characters in this movie, but I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Tom Felton in the next movie as he was outsanding in HBP.

The imagery was fantastic. I couldn't believe how similar the scenes looked on the screen as they had looked in my head when I had read the book, especially Godric's Hollow. That whole bit is fantastic and you could hear the audience draw in breath as Harry and Hermione went into Batilda's house, because they knew what was coming! The Burrow also looked a lot more like I imagined it while reading the books, than in any other movie. The scenes in the Ministry are also fantastic and really tense.

The film is incredibly dark and scary, so maybe a bit much for young children but perfect for true fans of the books.

I think it's my favourite of the movies so far. They've really done the book justice and I can't imagine how they would have fit the whole book into one movie. Can't wait for the final installment!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

i have to say, its a great film,
    but if youve read the book, your gona be a little bit disappointed.
    it leaves out a lot of details!
    small ones even, that explain alot, but wouldnt have taken a lot of time to do.
    i liked it, but i dont think it was as good as it could have been!

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    i have to say, its a great film,
    but if youve read the book, your gona be a little bit disappointed.
    it leaves out a lot of details!
    small ones even, that explain alot, but wouldnt have taken a lot of time to do.
    i liked it, but i dont think it was as good as it could have been!

What details do you mean?

I couldn't think of anything overly vital that they left out, but I'm probably wrong!

The one I did think of last night was at the start when all the Harry's are flying to the Burrow and they're intercepted, Harry says that they knew he was the real Harry because of Hedwig. But in the book they knew it was him because he used the Expelliarmus spell, and I think this is rather poignant because
    it's the spell that kills Voldemort in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭xxshebeexx

It was absolutely fantastic, leagues ahead of any of the other films. Still never going to be Daniel Radcliffe's biggest fan but Rupert Grint and Emma Watson were fantastic.

The telling of the three brothers' Deathly Hallows story was beautiful - the art was fantastic and Emma Watson told the story perfectly.

Anyone else find the film a bit violent and a bit explicit, considering it was Harry Potter and aimed at children? Hermione and Bellatrix's torture scene more than hinted at sexual torture and Ron's vision of Harry and Hermione..
    kissing naked?

they never explained how they were tracked to the cafe in london.
    even though in the book, they show thats its because voldemort name is jinxed.
    although, that part is explained when theyre in the forest, but they didnt do it.

also, the victor krum part at the wedding was left out. fairly decent insight into the symbol lovegood was wearing.

oh and the main part i really thought they should have put in, but ruined because they didnt, the part on the stairs in the malfoy manor.
    when peter petigrue is killed by the hand voldemort gives him, because he was gona help harry. instead dobby does it??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

The Godrics Hallow scenes were exactly like I pictured it from the book, thought that was done really well.

Definitely the most close to the book movie of them all. Of course they had to leave out little bits but it definitely included an awful lot more than previous movies did. I'm sure people who hadnt read the books might have been confused with some things but it's about time they made a movie with secrets that the book readers would get, I think it might encourage the movie viewers to actually read the books, also it gives them a chance to go 'oh that's what it meant in the movie'.

I did find some of the tent scenes a little long, but again it was exactly like the book. I liked the idea of the dance scene, it was a moment of happiness amid the so many moments of lonliness, fear and pain, but I can understand why people are saying it should have been cut out.

The scene at the start with Hermione erasing her parents memories of her was very touching, a much better start to the movie than any of the others. It really set the theme of the movie well.

I have to admit I came out of the cinema thinking it was a bit boring, but the more I think about it the more I remember how detailed the film was, how much was in it, how it stuck to the book so well (a cry Potter fans have been begging for a long time)

Loved the Hogwarts Express scene, it's a good indication of part 2 with Neville taking the lead and being so brave. It was the best way to bring them into part 1 without having to do long scenes and then have to ignore them.

Hermiones mudblood incision on her arm was a nice horrible touch, I remember squirming reading the book that she was screaming in pain while Harry and Ron were in the dungeon. Thought they did it well!

I'd love to go see it again, might leave it a few weeks and go, maybe reread the book first :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

1 Hour til i see it!!! will update after . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

I thought it was excellent. Emma Watson stole the show for me- such excellent acting on her behalf.

It's really dark and eerie compared to all of the other films. Especially the scene at with the snake. Excellently presented though, really keeps the viewers in suspense. It really did live up to the book, just so excellent! :)

they never explained how they were tracked to the cafe in london.
    even though in the book, they show thats its because voldemort name is jinxed.
    although, that part is explained when theyre in the forest, but they didnt do it.

also, the victor krum part at the wedding was left out. fairly decent insight into the symbol lovegood was wearing.

oh and the main part i really thought they should have put in, but ruined because they didnt, the part on the stairs in the malfoy manor.
    when peter petigrue is killed by the hand voldemort gives him, because he was gona help harry. instead dobby does it??

Oh yes, I was thinking this during the film, I kept waiting for it to be explained but it wasn't!

I don't think the Victor Krum bit was entirely necessary and was something that they obviously thought was fine to cut.

I forgot about the Peter Pettrigrew thing! The last time I read the book was well over a year ago. It would have been a good scene but again, I don't think it was entirely necessary, especially considering that the non-book reading audience mightn't even have remembered that Voldemort gave him that hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

I absolutely loved it! Big fan of the books and re-read the 7th one recently so wasn't sure if i'd like the film or not. I thought it was great though, don't think they left out too much, bar the trace and how they knew it was Harry at the start.

I thought the acting was amazing, especially Rupert Grint and Emma Watson. Loved the subtle moments of humour, the action scenes and the suspense that was built up.

The scenes with Dobby were brillant, I was a little disappointed in the last films when he was left out so definitely happy they decided to include him again. Really added to the film imo.

It was really how I imagined it to be filmed, delighted at how it turned out and I can't wait for the next one :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

Fantastic movie.

Was true to the book. Only thing I noticed strangely off were two details in the Malfoy Manor scene near the end; one major, one not so much.
    These being why Greyback was attacked by Bellatrix and expelled with the rest of the snatchers and why Pettigrew wasn't killed? (perhaps too gruesome a death?)

The Hedwig thing is a very minor change but makes perfect sense. The written word is about details, film is about emotions. It is much more fitting in film that the real Harry is noticed because of his connection to the bird than a spell he is comfortable with. From what I've heard Rowling endorsed this change also.

As for people mentioning that the taboo wasn't explained, who cares? It is not important really. What matters to the story is that they are not safe anywhere and they could found at almost any time? Why doesn't matter as much as the dread of this dire situation.

As far as Krum goes, from what I read the actor wasn't available.

Final bit left out;
    the Dumbledore background scenes. I believe they kept these for one large and ultimately less annoying flashback when they meet Aberforth.

Great film, they did a really good job on, i think that it would have been better if they left the last 30 seconds out, but maybe the next fil will start with the same 30 seconds.

I really liked the introduction bit at the start, the bit where hermione tells the tale of the three brothers is really good, and hermione in general is very goo. I thought that dumbledores grave looked like a bad special effect from the 80's, but overall the film was really good.

ah no, the minor details werent absolutely needed! but would have been good to have them in there.
    i remember them parts of the books very clearly, because they explained quite a bit.
    and made ya think. because of the krum part missing, the voldemort parts made a little less sense. grindlewald, and gregoravich (???) ya know nothin about them unless you read the book, except you know gregoravich is a wand maker.

another part of the story i would have liked, would have been the dursley's part, when they leave. and dudly wants to know if harry will be alright.
    that would have been good in there, cause in every film you see him treat harry like dirt. but then in the book, hes genuinely concerned for him.

i really enjoyed the film either way.
    and i know the second part will be a lot better.

i really enjoyed the film either way.
    and i know the second part will be a lot better.

There shouldn't be a really boring action free hour in the middle of the 2nd part!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

I thought it was class cant wait to see part 2

because of the krum part missing, the voldemort parts made a little less sense. grindlewald, and gregoravich (???) ya know nothin about them unless you read the book, except you know gregoravich is a wand maker.

Have to give it to you, you are right about that. Whereas I think Grindleweld's bits made enough sense (he is this guy and he took the wand now Voldemort is going after him for it), and I think they will expand on his story in part 2, how Harry knew Gregoravich was a bit out of the blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Was the taboo not explained, or at least hinted at when Luna's father said his name to summon the death eaters?

Otacon wrote: »
    Was the taboo not explained, or at least hinted at when Luna's father said his name to summon the death eaters?

That was meant to be assumed yes, but to fair it could just have easily been a coincedence for one of those typical cinematic scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

xxshebeexx wrote: »
    The telling of the three brothers' Deathly Hallows story was beautiful - the art was fantastic and Emma Watson told the story perfectly.

+ 1
    Very pleased with that segment of the film.

Also +1 on the Godric's Hollow scenes.

It was very good, although obviously not a patch on the book.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

It was perfect. I've been a fan of this series since I was a kid so it's very sad to see it all ending. I cried... a lot. :(

Great to see they're finally doing the books justice.

• Advertisement

GodlessM wrote: »
    Have to give it to you, you are right about that. Whereas I think Grindleweld's bits made enough sense (he is this guy and he took the wand now Voldemort is going after him for it), and I think they will expand on his story in part 2, how Harry knew Gregoravich was a bit out of the blue.

another thing i remembered, its not as important in the first part for obvious reasons,
    but in the book it was started to be explained.

how wands act, when there is a new owner.
    in the book its done with sparks,

in the book, ron gives harry the snatchers wand, but its really weak for him, because harry didnt win it. and in malfoy manor, he knocks drako out for his wand, and the sparks come out of it.

but it didnt do this in the film,
    the reason im bringing this up is because they will need to explain it for the end of part two.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Honestly, I thought it was quite poor.

The opening scene with Hermione having to use obliviate on her parents was very well done, but after that it rarely did the book justice. If you hadn't read the book you'd be pissing into the wind trying to understand it - fair enough if they're expecting people to have read the books, but still.

The wedding scene was glossed over, with just enough included to point Potter towards Godric's Hollow and plant a seed of doubt about Dumbledore. However, the doubt part wasn't follow up enough, and there's little or no sense of the doubts they start having about Dumbledore being God (practically).

It seemed rushed overall. The death of Hedwig was practically ignored after it happened, and the reaction of Harry to his wand being broken was downplayed.

One of the best scenes in the book was where they are all waiting for them to come back from the rescue Harry/flee scene. The tension and fear there was palpable in the books, but really didn't seem that way in the film. The security question side of things was adhered to for one or two people, but it's ok to take it for granted that everyone else is who they say they are? Not what you'd call consistent.

On the positive side, the story of the Deathly Hallows was very well told. At least that was made clear and didn't rely on you having read the book. The acting wasn't half bad either, though Ron looked a bit moany the whole way through (not just the bits where he was supposed to look moany). The snake scene in Godric's Hollow was also well done, quite creepy. The soundtrack was also quite good (though underused), even though it reminded me a lot of the Dark Knight score.

It just seemed like it was far too condensed to give it a decent going over, even though it's been split into two films. It also didn't explain enough to have the finale of the 2nd part make a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Went to see the film Saturday and my first feelings were mixed.

It is DEFINITELY the best instalment, actually makes some sort of an effort to keep to the story instead of skimming over it like the other films. Direction is brilliant, acting is pretty damn good imo (Hermione is finally likeable!), and all the parts with Voldemort are brilliantly dark.

Greyback is horribly underused, I wish they had kept to the book and had him be the "head" of the snatchers (which were the only thing I thought should have been explained better, or at all) instead of that made up Noel Fielding lookalike character.

I had always been more on the skeptical side of thinking that WB split the book into two movies as a cash cow rather than to fit in all the details.....and I still kind of, although a lot less, think the same. It just felt like a really long intro movie, and instead of making a decent 2hr first episode followed by what I hope will be an awesome 2hr finale, they could have just made one absolutely epic 3hr film.

That said, maybe my expectations were just too high. I went to see it again yesterday and I enjoyed it a lot more!

PS... I've never been the type to well up at films but that Dobby scene holy sh*t it almost had me going haha
    The soundtrack was also quite good (though underused), even though it reminded me a lot of the Dark Knight score.

I thought the exact same thing, and then when I thought about it some more I think that since the Dark Knight, the score of every "big" film has been very very similar...big bass noise, mental strings

I went back and watched the 6th Film, and realised they made a bit of a mess of one thing... the Ravenclaw Tiara Horcrux. Isn't Harry supposed to see that in the Room of Requirement when he's hiding his potion book and thats how he remembers where it is? Wonder how they'll bring that back in the next film

One of the best scenes in the book was where they are all waiting for them to come back from the rescue Harry/flee scene. The tension and fear there was palpable in the books, but really didn't seem that way in the film. The security question side of things was adhered to for one or two people, but it's ok to take it for granted that everyone else is who they say they are? Not what you'd call consistent.

And you really think it would be better for 20 minutes of Guess Who on screen instead? From the perspective of film you have to keep things moving once the point is across. There was no need to show every one of them being questioned one after another.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

GodlessM wrote: »
    And you really think it would be better for 20 minutes of Guess Who on screen instead? From the perspective of film you have to keep things moving once the point is across. There was no need to show every one of them being questioned one after another.

No need for the whole lot of them to be questioned, I know. But one of the best parts of that scene - Arthur Weasley demanding to see his injured son and threatening Kingsley (I think) - was completely left out. It would have added so much to have that simple part in there - shown how on edge they all really were.

No need for the whole lot of them to be questioned, I know. But one of the best parts of that scene - Arthur Weasley demanding to see his injured son and threatening Kingsley (I think) - was completely left out. It would have added so much to have that simple part in there - shown how on edge they all really were.

Faor enough on that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭davetherave

Saw it last friday when all the horrible little shouting kids were still in school.

I haven't watched the previous films (other than HBP) in a good while, but this one is definitly up there.
    Agree with most above that Emma and Rupurt portrayed Hermoine and Ron excellently. It seemed to me that Ron turned dark/depressed/moany in the space of one sentence in the film.
    My dad, who hasn't read any of the books, but has seen the films didn't have any problem following it, for the most part.

Things that should have been gone into more detail:
    * Dumbledores will and how the minister keeps pressing them for information about what he was doing the night he died.
    * Krums scene at the wedding explaining the symbol/Gregoravich/Grindelwald
    * The tabbo on the word. Seems a bit convienent that two DE can find them in a random cafe in London.
    * Dudleys goodbye to Harry, after years of kicking him up and down the street it would have been nice for a bit of emotion/redemtion
    * I forgot that it was MadEyes eye stuck on Umbridges door. And Harry doesn't take it.
    * No use of the invisability cloak either though, unless they wanted to make it a "OMG wait harry, you've got one of the Deathly Hallows" moments in part two. Or was the story telling in the Lovegoods house was it, they didn't seem that excited about it.

I thought the dance scene was a bit unnecessary but maybe it was just meant to show that all is not lost or something.

EDIT: P.S The biggest gripe that I have with the film is that in the book, when the DE attack at the wedding the trio disapparate to Tottenham Court Road, they go somewhere is in the film........I have little else to be worrying about... :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

I went into it today with my critical hat on because I only watched HBP for the first time last week and thought it was terrible, I nearly wasn't going to see it but it actually held up quite well for me. I was honestly expecting another disappointment but this definitely exceeded any expectation I had. I'd give it 4 out of 5 overall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭pocketvenus

I have to say I really enjoyed this film and think it is the best of the series to date. The dark and menacing tone of the book was translated into the film and it did not shy away from this. The direction was top notch as was the cinematography was beautiful along with the Desplat's score.

The acting was great by all 3 of the leads and it was great to see Ron not being just the comic relief. Even the opening with Hermonie wiping her parents memories was really sad and shows the scarfice needed - I love the way they even used Emma Watson's own baby and childhood pictures in the film.
    The way they illustrated the story of the 3 Brothers was excellent and a really novel idea which added to the film.

I agree with other posters and say this is not a film for younger children as there are some intense and scary scenes. For adults I think the parallels to the Nazi's with the way the Ministery of Magic is being run, Muggles killed and finally was Bellatrix did to Herimone really would have had an impact. On that note Emma Watson was outstanding in the scene - her screams sent a shiver down my spine, and her crying and pleading god it was so realistic.

I loved the addition of the dancing scene. Some people may hate it but I think it added to the film by showing for a brief moment there can be some albeit breif light and hope and a chance to smile and cheer your friend up.

Really left the cinema going I can't beileve we have to wait till July to see finale. I have to say though I won'e be going to see it in 3D as I think it is unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭gfgfgf14

Best Hp film EVER!

Advertisement