Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual requst outside Lidl supermarket

Options
  • 19-11-2010 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭

Hi folks on the Biz forum. Some of ye may be able to provide me with more information on a rather unusual request I got as I left a Lidl supermarket today. I was asked by a guy with a clipboard for my receipt. Didn't think too much of it at the time, was only half clued in, just walked on my merry way. Dawned on me a short while later why the hell did he want it and it has being baffling me a small bit since. I appreciate I should have asked him, himself at the time but I didn't! I was actually stopped in the carpark for quite a while eating a sandwich before I went into the shop and saw he was there for quite a while approacing everyone who exited the shop. Anyone had a similar request lately or hazard a guess as to what his game might have being?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Hi folks on the Biz forum. Some of ye may be able to provide me with more information on a rather unusual request I got as I left a Lidl supermarket today. I was asked by a guy with a clipboard for my receipt. Didn't think too much of it at the time, was only half clued in, just walked on my merry way. Dawned on me a short while later why the hell did he want it and it has being baffling me a small bit since. I appreciate I should have asked him, himself at the time but I didn't! I was actually stopped in the carpark for quite a while eating a sandwich before I went into the shop and saw he was there for quite a while approacing everyone who exited the shop. Anyone had a similar request lately or hazard a guess as to what his game might have being?

scam. (i think)

report him to LIDL . Apparently they get your laser card number off it..or somesuch.
    i don't really know but it defo rings a bell as its been done before.
    let him spend soething,get his own receipt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I have seen this before, it was a lady in for 40-50's that asked me. Afaik the card number thing was changed, It doesn't display the whole number anymore. Its probably just some market research bull ****

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

thebullkf wrote: »
    scam. (i think)

report him to LIDL . Apparently they get your laser card number off it..or somesuch.
    i don't really know but it defo rings a bell as its been done before.
    let him spend soething,get his own receipt.

I was thinking scam in another way. This was a well-known one in my retail days. Get a receipt from the bin or wherever, go into the store, pick up a few of the most expensive items on the list and return them for a cash refund. Not the hardest thing to do in a busy store.

On the other hand, it could be something innocent but I'd have suspicions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Used to be a notice in the local ALDI a few years back, warning people collecting receipts and asking customers not to hand them over, it never said why. I kind of assumed it as some price checking...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Thanks for replies folks. It does seem rather dodgy alright. If he was doing market research it was hardly an appropriate manner. Worse still in the unlikely event he was looking for credit card numbers thats pretty dodgy alright. I paid in cash for my groceries though. It was actually silly of me not to quiz him. I'll be back there again over the next few days so if I see him again I'll certainly be asking him a few questions.

• Advertisement

Used to be a notice in the local ALDI a few years back, warning people collecting receipts and asking customers not to hand them over, it never said why. I kind of assumed it as some price checking...

Hmmm, I wonder would not be just as easy if not easier, although perhaps a bit odd looking to go in around the shop with a notepad and write down prices. Having said that asking people for receipts outside a supermarket is pretty odd all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Market Research by Iceland ....probably.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I have seen people at this in carlow too at Lidl and Aldi, Lidl had them removed immediately as they were in their car park, but at Aldi Hanover they were waiting on the public footpath just beside the door.

Afaik it is market research and there is an old thread here where it is mentioned before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

It’s the IMF trying see how skint we really are.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, did he keep the receipt or just look at it and hand it back?

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, did he keep the receipt or just look at it and hand it back?

He kept the receipt coylemj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

Maybe a long shot, but there's a new competition in Lidl with a prize of a Punto car - you have to include a till receipt (above €10) number for each entry :D Maybe the guy is maximising his chances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Millicent wrote: »
    I was thinking scam in another way. This was a well-known one in my retail days. Get a receipt from the bin or wherever, go into the store, pick up a few of the most expensive items on the list and return them for a cash refund. Not the hardest thing to do in a busy store.

On the other hand, it could be something innocent but I'd have suspicions.
    It is a scam to defraud the shop of cash. As said they get a recent receipt i.e. yours and they seek refunds on items picked up in the shop. It is quite an old scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It is a scam to defraud the shop of cash. As said they get a recent receipt i.e. yours and they seek refunds on items picked up in the shop. It is quite an old scam.
    IIRC, it'll only work on cash purchases? As purchases paid by credit-card or laser gets the money put back to the card, but only if you have the card with you? I may be wrong, though, but I'm pretty sure you need the card if you pay by the card.

You are correct. A refund of a card purchase would require the card. So it only works on cash purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭chocolatepan

A guy was doing the same outside my local Aldi, he had a Nielsen badge - it's just market research!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

A guy was doing the same outside my local Aldi, he had a Nielsen badge - it's just market research!

a bit sceptical, but badges are forgeable

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

There's a saying "a fool is easily parted from it's money". No offence, but if you take this at face value, everyone else is probably doing the same, and he has lots of "market research" done...

I doubt most members of the public would know what a genuine Nielsen badge looks like.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you ever saw a bloke in tesco picking up receipts left at the checkout it could have been me looking for BOGOF big mac vouchers! :pac:

I would have thought this was market research, I never saw my CC info printed on a receipt.

If I was going to scam a shop by going in and picking up items I would not be looking for them off customers who might easily report you, I would be looking for discarded ones. If I was to ask for them I would only be looking for people carrying out electronics etc, not like you are going to bother returning a 6 pack of beer, and anybody with expensive enough items is not likely to hand over a receipt as its their warranty. Its not like they could keep repeat the scam all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭hughowen

Tis market research alright. I know a few people that worked there and I know one of the bosses. There's no other reason really anyone would look for a receipt and I am pretty sure the shop would have them arrested if there was anything bad going on
    Hugh

• Registered Users Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I can't believe people hand over receipts for goods they purchased to be completely honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Assassin saphir

This is a scam, seen it done where i work. Not gonna tell you how its done cos you might rip off the shop where i work:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Many people go along the checkouts in Tesco and in the car park looking for reciepts to collect clubcard points.

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

I handed over my receipt outside Aldi in Ashbourne during the week - I thought it was an Aldi employee - I feel very stupid now :o

hughowen wrote: »
    Tis market research alright. I know a few people that worked there and I know one of the bosses. There's no other reason really anyone would look for a receipt and I am pretty sure the shop would have them arrested if there was anything bad going on
    Hugh

Just curious as to who this market research is being carried out on behalf of hughowen. If it was a competitor I doubt Lidl would be best pleased with this and I was asked for receipt on Lidl owned ground. If it was for Lidl itself I would certainly imagine they have already collected this information when my goods passed through the checkout. Little point employing somebody to do the same job outside the door again?
    noodler wrote: »
    I can't believe people hand over receipts for goods they purchased to be completely honest.

You are very very correct noodler and I can see that in retrospect. I should have at least asked why or who he worked on behalf of and even asked to see a badge.
    maringo wrote: »
    I handed over my receipt outside Aldi in Ashbourne during the week - I thought it was an Aldi employee - I feel very stupid now redface.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about it maringo. Anybody can be caught out in such a situation, specially with the fast paced lifes we lead these times. Its not as if serious harm is likely to unfold as a result and you will be wiser next time your asked...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

noodler wrote: »
    Do you also find it unbelievable when you see people leave receipts behind, or bin them straight outside the shops?

Do you shred your own receipts to make sure nobody rooting through your bins could get them?

I can't believe people are so paranoid TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭claire983

Its defo a scam, was in the newspapers a few months ago. Something to do with the numbers on the receipt if you use your card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You're all cynics. Don't think it's a scam, it's market research. Rival supermarkets do it, they can either do as what's happening here, i.e. collect receipts to see buying habits and the price of goods, or else they send employees around to a selection of supermarkets with a fixed list of what to buy and they then keep the receipts so they can use them as proof when they post their price comparison ads in the media.

At most you only see either the first 4 or last 4 digits of your card on a receipt, and that's your credit/laser card receipt, you can do nothing with it.

• Advertisement

^^Still hardly practice that could be condoned ThisRegard. Would you not agree? It was on Lidl owned ground too. If I'd known any better and it was a Tesco staff member I'd have being into Lidl especially quick againa to highlight what was going on.

Advertisement