Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any planned protest marches?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Or.. you could just make a cup of cha and wait.. wait for Europe to knock on your door and take your tea bags and cup..
    The thing is the EU, and IMF, and UK, and Sweden have all offered to lend us cash while we sort ourselves out. It was ourselves ( well F Fail anyway) that wrecked the economy.
    Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    FF will target the weakest in society with savage cuts. People should protest the budget.
    The budget is not worth a curse; they will be gone before the ink is dry.
    Gillo wrote: »
    Seriously though, if you feel the need to march and PEACEFULLY protest, go for it.
    The only thing that would tempt me out, is if I thought it was going to go a bit further. I wouldnt want to miss the storming of Government Buildings. After all, revolutions only come round every hundred years in this country. Something to tell the grandchildren; I was there, and I gave the b'stards a good send-off. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭h2pogo

recedite wrote: »
    The thing is the EU, and IMF, and UK, and Sweden have all offered to lend us cash while we sort ourselves out. It was ourselves ( well F Fail anyway) that wrecked the economy.

The budget is not worth a curse; they will be gone before the ink is dry.

The only thing that would tempt me out, is if I thought it was going to go a bit further. I wouldnt want to miss the storming of Government Buildings. After all, revolutions only come round every hundred years in this country. Something to tell the grandchildren; I was there, and I gave the b'stards a good send-off. :pac:

As far as i can see the economy was wrecked when we joined the euro and Ireland was forced to compete in the markets with the euro..A pure Fiat currency with a ridiculous reserve ratio that can only benefit the central banks..
    Its more than a coincidence that all Europe is in the same boat.

I think a revolution is the only way out of perpetual debt slavery..

• Registered Users Posts: 7 baux

h2pogo wrote: »
    As far as i can see the economy was wrecked when we joined the euro and Ireland was forced to compete in the markets with the euro..A pure Fiat currency with a ridiculous reserve ratio that can only benefit the central banks..
    Its more than a coincidence that all Europe is in the same boat.

I think a revolution is the only way out of perpetual debt slavery..

You might be right but at least try peacefull mass protest and total non-compliance by the Irish people first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭MarkGrisham

I'll point out that if anyone is planning protests, they'd want to make their decision sooner rather than later. Come Dec 8th, none of them will matter!

baux wrote: »
    You might be right but at least try peacefull mass protest and total non-compliance by the Irish people first?

fair comment but i don't see how there could be a positive change unless there is a fundamental change in the power structure.
    It seems that the main political parties are representing the international bankers and the eurocrats as any indebted body is obliged.

I hope peaceful protest and non compliance fundamentally changes things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 baux

fair comment but i don't see how there could be a positive change unless there is a fundamental change in the power structure.
    It seems that the main political parties are representing the international bankers and the eurocrats as any indebted body is obliged.

I hope peaceful protest and non compliance fundamentally changes things.

I totally agree. I just think there is no political party in Ireland that will be able to clean up this mess, but many Irish people do put their hopes into the election next year. Just to discover after the election that it's the same BS but a different name.

I believe that the only way forward would be back to square one. Pull out of the EU and the Euro, get the Irish pound back and be a proud country again. But I fear the Irish people rather keep their heads down and 'get on with it' because of the 'peace' and the enjoyment of the celtic tiger (RIP) in the past has grown on them.

Don't get me wrong, I want a peaceful solution. We are going back to poverty again anyway. Set up barter groups and grow your own food.

baux wrote: »
    I totally agree. I just think there is no political party in Ireland that will be able to clean up this mess, but many Irish people do put their hopes into the election next year. Just to discover after the election that it's the same BS but a different name.

I believe that the only way forward would be back to square one. Pull out of the EU and the Euro, get the Irish pound back and be a proud country again. But I fear the Irish people rather keep their heads down and 'get on with it' because of the 'peace' and the enjoyment of the celtic tiger (RIP) in the past has grown on them.

Don't get me wrong, I want a peaceful solution. We are going back to poverty again anyway. Set up barter groups and grow your own food.

I completely agree..I wouldn't want any solution that isn't peace full...nothing to say a revolution cant be peace full.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I see in today's Irish Times their coverage of the 'People Before Profit' march described them in the caption as the 'People Against Profit' organisation.

How freudian of the current Irish Times editor, and former Progressive Democrats TD, Geraldine Kennedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

The dail needs surrounding to stop them going to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

What we need is a massive protest with 100,000 or 150,000 people marching through dublin tomorrow. People outside ireland are perplexed as to why we seem to be taking so much lying down. Its embarrassing and we look meek and pathetic imo.

We need the IMF/EU to see that there is the beginnings of unrest and that we are deeply unhappy about having to pay back all this bank money. We need support from some very important people to try and force a write down of the bank debt or we are going to be railroaded into paying up to 16 billion a year in interest payments :mad:.

Take a read at this and just ponder it for a moment:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/26/opinion/26krugman.html?_r=1&hp

Please get out on the street tomorrow... if only to show the outside world that we are not just shell shocked doormats.

• Advertisement

ilovesleep wrote: »

That my friend is the only way.
    There is another protest on the 7th out side the Dail..what a perfect day to stop them from going to work..

for those that might not of seen it..

and those that wont march with the unions..there is an alternative

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ing8xH3Qj-k&feature=aso

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

ilovesleep wrote: »

Work, what work. They don't do anything only sell us up the river and give themselves bigger expenses and wages!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

sollar wrote: »
    Please get out on the street tomorrow... if only to show the outside world that we are not just shell shocked doormats.

Who cares what the rest of the world thinks of us? If we're going to protest we need a better reason than trying to make ourselves look good.

I don't know about you but i'm kind of embarrassed about how meek we look over this whole debacle. We need the world to see we are serious about not paying the full losses of the private banks.

Good little boys paying all the gambled money back to the french, german and british banks with barely a fuss. I'd say they see us as saps.

If this happened in france they would be going mental by now and those in positions of power and influence would be forcing the bond holders to share the burden before long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

There is another protest on the 7th out side the Dail..what a perfect day to stop them from going to work..
    Any details on this one, like who is behind it?
    I have no reason to visit the GPO, its only a post office.

sollar wrote: »
    I don't know about you but i'm kind of embarrassed about how meek we look over this whole debacle. We need the world to see we are serious about not paying the full losses of the private banks.

Good little boys paying all the gambled money back to the french, german and british banks with barely a fuss. I'd say they see us as saps.

If this happened in france they would be going mental by now and those in positions of power and influence would be forcing the bond holders to share the burden before long.

I don't give a flying poo what the rest of the world thinks! Let them think it for crying out loud! I'm protesting because I want the government out before they sign our future away. I'm protesting because I don't want to be paying the banks for the rest of my life. I'm not protesting because of cuts (we need to cut back) and I'm definitely not protesting because of "embarrassment".

We need real reasons to protest! Turning up to stem your guilt about looking bad in front of France or Greece is beyond flippant in my view.

I'm protesting because I want the government out before they sign our future away. I'm protesting because I don't want to be paying the banks for the rest of my life. I'm not protesting because of cuts (we need to cut back) and I'm definitely not protesting because of "embarrassment".

Its not one or the other i agree with your reasons above also. I wouldn't turn up to a protest just so mr greek and mr french can see were protesting.
    My point a few threads back is that it needs to be seen internationally that we are not going to tolerate shouldering all this debt. We need some big people internationally on our side too and to strenghten the argument for bond holders to take some pain also.

The more mass protests in the countries affected the quicker the g20 and other big players will want it all sorted out once and for all. Spain in particular if affected badly will make people take notice.

^ Fair enough. I seem to have grossly misinterpreted your last post :P

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭alang184

I will be there tomorrow for the 'March to the GPO' (starts at 12pm from Wood Quay).

It's a shame how little this nation will put up a "fight" against the political elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

For what it's worth - if you can't get to Dublin tomorrow and live in the Munster area, I have heard - on the grapevine - that there is a peaceful protest being organised for 2.00 pm outside City Hall in Cork. But don't take my word for it ...

• Advertisement

recedite wrote: »
    Any details on this one, like who is behind it?
    I have no reason to visit the GPO, its only a post office.

I saw a poster in Dublin today..The unions i think...I know they are as much the cause of the mess.. but i hope people can find unity.. for now at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

Just been given the link for the Cork demo, so it must be true!

http://www.politicalworld.org/showthread.php?p=96742

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

Just to clear up, it's organized by ICTU, as a protest against cuts in the budget. More or less every large scale protest has to be organized by a large body like a union, so that they can get Garda permission, so I wouldn't read too much into the union slant. Judging by people I've heard talking about it, it mostly seems as a general dissatisfaction protest. Gardaí said they expected 60,000 people. Assemble Wood Quay (outside the corpo) at 11, leave at 12, and march to the GPO.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Apparently they have stated that the protest is family friendly!

So it means they don't want any problem. The Gardaí are going to be taking photos and recording the whole thing apparently!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

alang184 wrote: »

It's a shame how little this nation will put up a "fight" against the political elite.

probably because when they do, even peacefully, they get assaulted by the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Faustino

Uriel. wrote: »
    "Taking to the Streets" will end in violence/rioting and a huge cost to both the taxpayer and business'. Unless there is a guaranteed worthwhile result from doing so then I hardly see the point.

Tucked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Why people support unions is beyond me ,they are as much to blame for this mess as the government.

We should put them in their place before we elect a new government ,they're self serving trouble makers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Well, one of the good things about today was seeing Jack O'Connor booed by half the crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    Why people support unions is beyond me ,they are as much to blame for this mess as the government.

We should put them in their place before we elect a new government ,they're self serving trouble makers.

I fail to see how a receptionist or admin staff or a teacher or a phlebotomist is to blame. They didn't come up with the neoliberal policies of free markets that led to western world recession or the property bubble here.

I just do not see the logic. Why people scapegoat unionised workers is beyond me.

• Advertisement

yoshytoshy wrote: »

Can you explain how they are responsible for this mess?

Advertisement