Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminal 2 - Budget €200MIL , Cost €600MIL

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Tom Hanks don't come cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭lyndonjones

mikom wrote: »
    Tom Hanks don't come cheap.

Is he stuck in Terminal 2!!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

KazDub wrote: »
    T2 wasn't paid out of our (tax payers) money. I've heard it again and again on the radio, the DAA doesn't take money out of the exchequer but does put millions in. It's their own money (loans, whatever) that paid for the terminal, and those fierce swanky looking couches!

hey you, stop posting sensible facts, k thx bai

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

OisinT wrote: »
    So that they have to spend extra money buying new couches.

It is idiocy like this that has put us in the trouble we are in. How is petty vandalism going to solve anything?

They'll learn the lesson for Terminal 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I thought it was costing 1billion? There were signs all over the airport 2 years ago saying it was going to cost 1billion. Maybe thats including the new runway, Pier D and other improvements.

It was built too late but hindsight it a great thing. I've been in it and its quite nice inside.

Apparently a hearse with the Irish flag on it attempted to drive up up to the new place today but was stopped. Its now parked down by the ryanair offices. So I've been told anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Michael O'Leary at the opening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Sc@recrow wrote: »

Yep so it was true, another publicity stunt.

the coffin looks more comfortable than a Ryanair flight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Fart wrote: »
    Phwoar!!!

What recession.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Knowing plenty of people working for sub-contractors on the project, I am surprised they were able to do it for €600m. The whole planning of it seems to have been a joke. Fault to be found on all sides... tender, contractors, sub-contractors...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

its a huge waste of money. add in the 300million waste that is Luas Cherrywood, the voting machines, the 600million it cost to "buy back" the M50, the overrunnings of countless motorways and public projects, the port tunnel, the health system payroll fiasco and its easy to see its not only the banks that the government f*cked up with.

how ironic it is, the day the IMF come to town is the day we open a project approaching a Billion quid, that wasnt needed. i go to dublin airport about 120 times a year and bar sat mornings and christmas, the airport is operating well below capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Its all about the type of contract used with the contractors. Most contracts used nowadays are design and build with any cost overrun costing the contractors, hence why things are build better and on schedule.

In the older contracts, the contractor could go back to the client with any little problem during construction. It ultimately led to budget and time over runs e.g. the Glen of the downs..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sc@recrow wrote: »

oh his antics never get trite. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

i go to dublin airport about 120 times a year and bar sat mornings and christmas, the airport is operating well below capacity.

That's what I don't get. I use the airport maybe 40 times a year and am almost always amazed at how quiet and quick it all is. Don't really see what this new terminal was built for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Absurdum wrote: »
    the coffin looks more comfortable than a Ryanair flight

more legroom anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

its well below capacity NOW, but wasnt it seriously overcrowded a few years back when they first decided to build it.

Looking forward to going through it to be honest.A good first impression for tourists too. Ive landed in glorified warehouses that ryanair use and i immediately think ****hole.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was in Terminal 2 for the operational trials back in September. I was well impressed.

Cost overrun? Everything in this blighted, deeply corrupt little country has cost overruns.

At least at lot of us will get a look at T2 when we're emigrating off this rock for good.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭GizAGoOfYerGee

T2 will look mouldy in a few years.

Those couches will be fart/poo stained in no time.

The beautiful interior finishings will go brown and sag like Cowen's fat-filled tits and arse crack.

The marbled floors will be caked with chewing gum, child dribble and sneeze snot. Our very own virtual O'Connell Street

The commisioned artworks will become dated and cheap, and will be removed as fire hazards.

Here's my idea of a commissioned art piece for T2.

All in favour, say "Tá"

http://imgur.com/3xbA6

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Elevator wrote: »
    they might think it's cool to refuse O' Learys offer of a free terminal 2 and blatently throw away tax payers money wrecklessly and that the public won't care

BS, in my humble opinion. Anyone who believes that Micheal O' Leary was going to build us a nice shiny new terminal and hand it over with no strings attaches is pretty damn naive. Michael O' Leary cares only about what's good for him, and what's good for Ryanair. To take his pronouncements on the matter as some form of unbiased truth is silly in the extreme.

T2 will look mouldy in a few years.

Those couches will be fart/poo stained in no time.

The beautiful interior finishings will go brown and sag like Cowen's fat-filled tits and arse crack.

The marbled floors will be caked with chewing gum, child dribble and sneeze snot. Our very own virtual O'Connell Street

The commisioned artworks will become dated and cheap, and will be removed as fire hazards.

Here's my idea of a commissioned art piece for T2.

All in favour, say "Tá"

http://imgur.com/3xbA6

cheer up bro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I love the way its built just in time... so that no one can use it, or to put another way, the demand that was there to build it in the first place has now dried up :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Want to know what people think of the news report this morning of the official opening of Terminal 2 and it's final cost of €600M, €400M over budget!!!

How can such a project run so far over budget?

I would like to hear from ye why and how this happened.

EDIT: Jaysus u r right I would do the same, LOL!! Whoops forgot a few million there!!

Well Spielberg and Hanks don't come cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Einhard wrote: »
    BS, in my humble opinion. Anyone who believes that Micheal O' Leary was going to build us a nice shiny new terminal and hand it over with no strings attaches is pretty damn naive. Michael O' Leary cares only about what's good for him, and what's good for Ryanair. To take his pronouncements on the matter as some form of unbiased truth is silly in the extreme.

Can't argue with that. I'm not someone who has a go at Ryanair - in fact I love them. But Michael O'Leary doesn't do anything that isn't good for Michael O'Leary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭flas

i worked in it for near on a year, the amount of crap that went on in that place was crazy, suits coming in and stopping everything if everybody wasnt wearing there glasses,gloves, fire extinguishers if someone was doing a tiny bit of grinding or cutting,someone would have to stand over the other person with paper work saying they are permitted to do this work and have all relevant safety equipment that in most instances, in fact id say 99% of cases would not be needed!some mornings these permits would not be done in time and often we would be standing around for 4or 5 hours waiting for them to get handed around so we could start work,the amount of lost man hours and specifically cost because of these and many many other factors is shocking!wide scale firing off 50people at a time,only to hire them back two weeks later,this kind of nonscence

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

For the last goddamn time, the DAA is entirely self financing and receives NO taxpayer money!!! None of our precious taxes went into T2.

I work there and have to say it's a great place to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Elevator wrote: »
    couches at 15,000 a pop!!!

first thing I'm doing when I set foot in the terminal 2 building is slashing holes in their seating in silent protest and I'd urge everyone else that sets foot in the place to do the same!!

they might think it's cool to refuse O' Learys offer of a free terminal 2 and blatently throw away tax payers money wrecklessly and that the public won't care

how in...

what the...

who the...

no, I am fcukin speechless here

who signed off on this!?!
    I hope you get caught on CCTV carrying out your little protest. :rolleyes:

Despite being an over priced white elephant we have now to put up with it whether we like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Christ. A brand new,state of the art, wonderful piece of infrastructure is even liable to irish begrudgery.
    People in this country have complained for so long about services and infrastructure having to catch up to demand (overcrowding in schools, hospitals etc. because there isn't enough) and yet this one time the government seems to have planned for future demand so we're ready, and people still complain.
    The new terminal employs 1000 people, is looks great, will cater for future demand when it arises and, as a government official was saying a few months ago if I remember right, it's hoped that this terminal will attracts other airlines which can use Ireland as a stopover for long-haul flights, such as Air India and Etihad setting up shop here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

df1985 wrote: »
    its well below capacity NOW, but wasnt it seriously overcrowded a few years back when they first decided to build it.

Looking forward to going through it to be honest.A good first impression for tourists too. Ive landed in glorified warehouses that ryanair use and i immediately think ****hole.

Indeed,and it was O'Leary who called Dublin Airport "the black hole of calcutta" in the mid-2000's when the check-in hall and security were at bursting point. He wanted a solution,but on his own terms that would suit his airline.

The €1.6bn figure he keeps quoting is the total figure for improvements at Dublin Airport. That includes the Pier D extension which was built with low cost carriers(ie. Ryanair) in mind,the T1X extension,T2 and associated road works.

I think it's a rare showing of foresight tbh. While things are ****e now and passenger numbers are down,it will turn around and now there's 2 terminals capable of sharing the load comfortably.

• Advertisement

Anita Blow wrote: »
    Christ. A brand new,state of the art, wonderful piece of infrastructure is even liable to irish begrudgery.
    People in this country have complained for so long about services and infrastructure having to catch up to demand (overcrowding in schools, hospitals etc. because there isn't enough) and yet this one time the government seems to have planned for future demand so we're ready, and people still complain.
    The new terminal employs 1000 people, is looks great, will cater for future demand when it arises and, as a government official was saying a few months ago if I remember right, it's hoped that this terminal will attracts other airlines which can use Ireland as a stopover for long-haul flights, such as Air India and Etihad setting up shop here.

Here here, and hopefully Metro North will be the jewel in its crown.

Advertisement