Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing a vibrator through airport security?

Options
  • 19-11-2010 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭

Yes this actually is a genuine question. I ask it here because most lads I know wouldn't have experience (or a clue) with this.

Is it likely to get picked up on the x-ray scanner as something suspicious? I'll be traveling alone thankfully, but I'd still be completely mortified if it was unpacked in front of me in public...

I don't really want to put it with my checked luggage because it's gift-wrapped and this way I can prevent the box from getting mangled... If it's likely to get me shamed and patted down though I'd probably want to think of some creative way to pack it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

While queing, comming back from paris, I was taken aside to have my bag checked manually, Club milk bar in bottom of bag was suspicious item. Where I was standing I could see the handluggage scanner readout, I remember watching the readout on the scanner listing the make and model of cameras, razors, travel irons ect. and yes I did see a rampant rabbit come up on the display.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Lorri_L

Myself and 3 friends made it through security coming home from Amsterdam and nothing was said to us at all. Not sure about Dublin though. I would presume if they did ask to search your bag you could ask for it to be done in a private area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭stevieg_irl

so not only is there a display of everything in ur bag..but also its able to list make and model of items seen through the x-ray?...damn.
    as for the vibrator..its a present wrapped up in a neat little package,dont fret

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Having your bag stopped and searched depends on one of two things. The first is if the Screener sitting behind the X-Ray Machine deems the image that they are looking at either suspicious, or unidentifiable. In this case, they can then request from a bag searcher to search the bag to identify the item that they are unsure of.

The second is if your bag is picked as a random search. Under Aviation Regulation, a percentage of bags must be handsearched, regardless of whether they are considered a threat or not. Unfortunately for you, it is a low percentage ; )

On a final note, the x-ray equipment used at the Airport is quite advanced, and would make the shape of a vibrator easily identifiable, therefore the likelyhood is that the X-Ray operator will know straightaway what it is, and therefore will probably just throw you a wink instead of asking to have it searched ; )

Either way, even if it is searched, the security staff really have seen it all before, and trust me, a vibrator really isnt a big deal at all compared to what can be found.

My advice? Just pack it in your carry on luggage, and dont worry about it. Its a vibrator, not a gun ; )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Its a vibrator, not a gun ; )

But do make sure it's not loaded. Er, with batteries I mean. Nothing will get you searched quicker than a vibrating suitcase!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Nothing will get you searched quicker than a vibrating suitcase!
    I have a really funny mental image now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Posy wrote: »
    I have a really funny mental image now! :D

Gross!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Brought my friend home a "bullet" (vibrator) from Sitges, no problems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I don't have a problem with them in checked luggage

if it is gift wrapped, wrap it in clothes to cushion it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

if stopped, wrapped presents will be opened

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Regina Phalange

I've been to Oz, States and UK with my rabbit in my hand luggage and nothing was said!

(I was afraid they'd lose my luggage, so I kept it close!)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,267 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do not wrap and leave the batteries out. No particular reason for it not to go in the hold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

I wouldn't worry about it too much anyway - even if you ARE searched, is it a really that big a deal for someone to see your carrying a vibrator? This isn't the 1950s - I'd be confident that security have seen it all before :p 'S not like they're a rare item or anything :)

I can't see there being any problem with it, worst case scenario your gift wrapping gets wrecked if they are suss about it, but can't imagine it happening!
    Besides it can make for a pretty damn funny situation, I was travelling to the states few years back and we got pulled for whatever reason for a luggage search. Then I remembered I had just packed good ol rampant rabbit right at the top of the case, was thinking I was going to be so embarrased about it...but the look on the guys face when he opened it was actually priceless, and watching him trying to check everything out whilst avoiding it at all costs was just hilarious! Thankfully I was with a close friend and he knew what I was like and we just had a proper giggle about it, definately brightened up a boring long trip :D

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

Got stopped on my way through Dublin before with a bottle of lube i had left in my hand luggage, i had totally forgot about it so when the bag was searched i was surprised. Very funny when security man pulled the bottle out. He went scarlet after he realised what it was and put it back in my bag, i had a great laugh at it.
    (and yes i am surprised he didnt take the lube off me i think he put it back in quickly out of embarrasment)

So basically vibrator should be fine, but leave the lube at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭amy21

Just act as if its completely normal thing to have in your bad and it will freak them out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

amy21 wrote: »
    Just act as if its completely normal thing to have in your bad and it will freak them out

it is normal to have a vibrator

sam34 wrote: »
    it is normal to have a vibrator

True, but is it normal to carry one around with you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

If you're travelling, yea! Sure who says you have to be at home to use your vibrator :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

apparently its abnormal not to have one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Canluum

Thanks for the posts everyone! :) Yes I suppose it would be fairly silly and even hypocritical of me to be embarrassed over such things especially given my personal beliefs on the matter. I'll get through with forced nonchalance for now and hopefully genuinely not give a **** should a similar situation occur in future.

I think the only exception is if I was travelling with family or suchlike. I'd probably leave the security queue to go through the bathroom and tell them I'd meet them at the gate, so we go through separately.

Oh it's gift-wrapped in a kind of easy-open/close lovehoney.co.uk box so if they do open it it's no biggy. I'd just rather the box not be crushed or damaged. The box itself is rather large (one-size fits all dildos/vibrators?) with respect to the little thing I bought, so padding it effectively in checked luggage would be difficult.
    zxy wrote: »
    apparently its abnormal not to have one
    I see logic is not your strong point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

apparently not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

why not have it up ya and turned on while going through,when they see you cross eyed they'll leave you alone :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

if you're travelling, then yes. why wouldnt you take it with you?

sam34 wrote: »
    if you're travelling, then yes. why wouldnt you take it with you?

I suppose if i knew i was traveling somewhere i hopefully wouldnt need it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Just be sure to use the kind that have an accurate shape of the penis head...to remove all uncertainty from the x ray scanner.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Canluum

why not have it up ya and turned on while going through,when they see you cross eyed they'll leave you alone :eek:
    Might be difficult being male. Also predicting what your next sentence might be let me preempt it with: it has no flange, so that would not be recommended.
    I suppose if i knew i was traveling somewhere i hopefully wouldnt need it:D
    This makes no sense to me. Either planes really get you off or you're suggesting you'd have a man waiting for you on the other end, in which case what's stopping you using it with him?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Please familiarise yourself with the charter of The Ladies Lounge before posting again. This is not AH.

Infracted.

Maple.

Canluum wrote: »
    Might be difficult being male. Also predicting what your next sentence might be let me preempt it with: it has no flange, so that would not be recommended.

This makes no sense to me. Either planes really get you off or you're suggesting you'd have a man waiting for you on the other end, in which case what's stopping you using it with him?

I'm suggesting that when im travelling, im usually traveling for entertainment reasons more than business reasons, i use it when im home alone and bored.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

Ok, I think this thread is done. The original question asked has been answered and we're now veering off into tangents.

Locked.

Maple.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement