Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Installer Took My Free To Air Signal

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Ironic as the call centre you get onto is in Ballincollig, Co. CORK
    foggy_lad wrote: »
    strangely enough I was put through to Scotland. the Irish centre may have been closed or just too busy?

The sales department is in Cork as people like to think they're getting indegenous customer service. Same doesn't apply unfortunately for technical support, which is serviced by the existing call centres in Scotland.

Sky customer care will generally always see you sorted but sometimes you need to discuss with the installer(s) exactly what the problem is. Sometimes it is such a local issue that the guys at Sky can't diagnose it remotely - in my case when our signal went around the same time as a new HD box went in we presumed it was the box causing the trouble when in fact the brand new LNB (receiver on the dish) was the fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Haddockman wrote: »
    So have you been sorted out yet?

The problem was the installer on Thursday changed the LNB on my dish for a second hand faulty unit with only 3 of the 4 connectors working. This was done because my neighbour had rang the previous Thursday because his sky plus service had stopped working.

On Friday the installers fitted a brand new dish for my neighbour and reconnected my service on the faulty LNB on my dish. this connection is not a good one as the signal quality is only about 55% and the LNB is most likely on the way out and the installer failed to replace the plastic cover on the connectors leaving them open to the elements which reduces signal quality over time.

There is still a call out booked for tuesday afaik when i will be looking for a new single LNB to replace the one which was on my dish originally and it will be fitted correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Make sure you are there onsite when they come and don't sign any paperwork until you are satisfied with the job. BTW leaving the weather boot off the end of the cable can let water into the dielectric and over time feed right into your equipment inside

Make sure you are there onsite when they come and don't sign any paperwork until you are satisfied with the job. BTW leaving the weather boot off the end of the cable can let water into the dielectric and over time feed right into your equipment inside
    I think this is the intent with some installers as they are then generating work for themselves for the future.

These installations when done correctly should last for years but most people get hit with high call out charges for poor signal or to re-allign a dish that may not have been installed properly initially.

Just had the installer on the phone confirming the visit tomorrow and he is the same guy that was here on friday. He claims the connections no longer have a weather boot and that the clearly 2nd hand LNB that was put onto my dish is in fact a new LNB even though it has only been there a week or two at most but looks like it has been out in the weather for a year.

All i want tomorrow is for my dish to be put back in the condition it was in before sky took control of it for my neighbours use.

That means putting a rubber weather boot on the cable connection and pulling down the plastic cover over the connection after fitting a NEW SINGLE LNB to replace the perfect LNB which sky replaced with a faulty quad LNB.

If they cant do this i will have to call the guards and report the interference with my property and the theft of my LNB by Sierra employees.

update: installer arrived and put on a new lnb and improved the signal so i am happy with this.

might be worth people checking their sky installations for illegal connections with neighbours that will void your home insurance!

• Advertisement
Advertisement