Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Regeneration project list....1.29million for 6 units of traveller housing

Options
  • 18-11-2010 11:59am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Found this list online some of the figures seem crazy.Anyone know what builder is getting the benefit
    A clustering of schools wtf?:rolleyes:
    Limerick Regeneration Project list

Category and Project Estimated Cost (millions)

Sustainable Strategic Objectives (with regional benefits) - Total €90 million
    1. Coonagh/Knocklisheen (part of the Northern Distributor) Road €43.1
    2. Access from Southern Ring Road €7
    3. Upgrading of Childers Road €5
    4. Commercial, Sport, Recreation, and Community Facilities €6.5
    5. Civic Hub Buildings in Moyross including Employment, Community, Health Care, Youth, Education, Children, and Local Government facilities. €32.17

Sustainable Economic and Enterprise Development – Total €16 million
    6. Marketing Sites N/A
    7. Land Purchases €10
    8. Integrated Employment and Enterprise Services €6.02

Sustainable Housing - Total €116 million
    9. New housing at Cliodhna Park – 36 units €6.49
    10 & 12 Housing refurbishment in Moyross and Southill – 248 units €18.9
    11 & 14 New sheltered housing in Southill and St. Mary’s Park – 61 units €10.15
    13. Traveller specific housing in Southill – 6 units €1.29
    14, 17, 18 & 19 Other replacement housing projects for Moyross, Southill, Ballinacurra Weston and St. Mary’s Park – 440 units €66.51
    15. New housing at Lord Edward Street – 70 units €15.35

Sustainable Community and Social Development - Total €40 million
    20. Clustering of schools – St. Mary’s Park €5.65
    21. Community crèche – St. Mary’s Park €1.2
    22. Reorganisation of primary school educational facilities – Southill €11.65
    23. Health and community development – Ballinacurra Weston €13.12
    24. Integrated Youth Centre, Southside €10.17
    25. Primary Healthcare Facility – St. Mary’s Park N/A

Other - Total €70 million
    26. Social inclusion activities €25
    Enabling Works €41.62

Overall Total €336.9

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

Any link to this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Of all the costs listed, why did you choose the 2nd lowest (less than 0.5% of the total cost of €336.9m) as your thread title?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

becuase 6 units of traveller housing for 1.29 million is a disgrace,they have been given housing stables etc and dont live in them most of the time,they get free waste collection but still throw rubbish on the ground,they say its cause the current housing is over crowded thats the travellers fault not taxpayers i dont put 10 people in a 3 bedroom house and then expect a new house

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

We've had a great run of bashing threads this week.

Bouncers.
    Traffic wardens.
    Travellers now.

Makes a change from the local authorities, I suppose...

I'll let Billy the Squid deal with this one.

Theres no problem with travellers however breaking the law and abusing whats provided for them i will bash all day
    One day you have Pavee point saying they are not treated as equals in Ireland then another they want their own ethnic status

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Some of those prices are sounding a little like "Celtic Tiger" prices.

I see the value to build each house is around €175,000 each but my house is only €150,000 to rebuild alone so essentially if somebody is getting a contract to build 39 of them they should be doing a "special price".

The land also could not be anywhere near worth €10m anymore. They cannot sell houses for €5,000 in some parts of those areas but they can value the land at so much more.

Frankly I should have bought a few houses and waited for the council to buy me out. :rolleyes:

So whats the story with all the crime gangs from these areas that we all have see their houses in the media?Are they being moved out or knocked?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

24. Integrated Youth Centre, Southside €10.17
    Is this €10,000,000? as in 10 MILLION?:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

What the hell is going there?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

We've had a great run of bashing threads this week.

Bouncers.
    Traffic wardens.
    Travellers now.

Makes a change from the local authorities, I suppose...

I'll let Billy the Squid deal with this one.

Insects are next, followed by their leaders. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭firesidechat

Don't fret over it.
    The IMF will knock a couple of noughts from these figures.
    Each one of those projects are just as important as the other but the figures show just how senseless we got with spending public money.
    Maybe the IMF is just what this country needs to put some reality back into our way of doing business.

• Advertisement

bigpink wrote: »
    becuase 6 units of traveller housing for 1.29 million is a disgrace,they have been given housing stables etc and dont live in them most of the time,they get free waste collection but still throw rubbish on the ground,they say its cause the current housing is over crowded thats the travellers fault not taxpayers i dont put 10 people in a 3 bedroom house and then expect a new house

They're spending €336.9 million and you're worrying about the 1.29?
    Theres no problem with travellers however breaking the law and abusing whats provided for them i will bash all day
    One day you have Pavee point saying they are not treated as equals in Ireland then another they want their own ethnic status

Since when does having an ethnic status preclude you from achieving equal staus?

CiaranMT wrote: »
    They're spending €336.9 million and you're worrying about the 1.29?

Since when does having an ethnic status preclude you from achieving equal staus?

Because everyone knows what the travellers like in that area

They want everything to be their culture and if they are pulled on anything even law breaking its their "culture"

Ask any pub owner would they take a traveller party in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Some travellers maybe, but all travellers?

For example, Willie Casey is a traveller, do you think he can't live in a house?

I've no doubt there are travellers who match your description, but there's plenty of settled people who aren't far from it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Think we're getting a little off the point here. The original thread, as I read it, is more about the incredible cost of the regeneration - not whether Travellers, or anyone else for that matter, deserve to be re-housed.

I also object to areas like Raheen/Dooradoyle being dragged through the mud by families who will eventually be re-housed in re-generated areas.

They will move back to areas with:
    Commercial, Sport, Recreation, and Community Facilities,
    Civic Hub Buildings including Employment, Community, Health Care, Youth, Education, Children, and Local Government facilities.
    Integrated Youth Centre, Playgrounds etc etc.

Meanwhile, Dooradoyle/Raheen will be still counting the years to one miserly park/recreation area/playground!

That's what sickens me. Behave like scum and you attract 're-generation'.
    Behave in a responsible manner and pay your taxes, and you get f:mad::mad:k all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

time to end this regeneration project. Hopefully the IMF will put a stop to all funding for travellers. Let them take the pain the same as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

mike kelly wrote: »
    time to end this regeneration project. Hopefully the IMF will put a stop to all funding for travellers. Let them take the pain the same as everyone else.

Maybe the IMF will put an end to all funding for settled people too. Then everyone will be taking the same pain. Let's see where that gets us.

Maybe the IMF will put an end to all funding for settled people too.

what funding would that be?

Pikasso wrote: »
    Think we're getting a little off the point here. The original thread, as I read it, is more about the incredible cost of the regeneration - not whether Travellers, or anyone else for that matter, deserve to be re-housed.

I also object to areas like Raheen/Dooradoyle being dragged through the mud by families who will eventually be re-housed in re-generated areas.

They will move back to areas with:
    Commercial, Sport, Recreation, and Community Facilities,
    Civic Hub Buildings including Employment, Community, Health Care, Youth, Education, Children, and Local Government facilities.
    Integrated Youth Centre, Playgrounds etc etc.

Meanwhile, Dooradoyle/Raheen will be still counting the years to one miserly park/recreation area/playground!

Behave in a responsible manner and pay your taxes, and you get f:mad::mad:k all.

To be fair, I don't think that is the point, if the OP was against the entire regeneration, while single out travellers for special mention? It's bigotry, pure and simple, imo.

To be fair, I don't think that is the point, if the OP was against the entire regeneration, while single out travellers for special mention? It's bigotry, pure and simple, imo.

I'm against regeneration, regardless of whther travellers beenfit or not. I'm also bigotted against travellers because they are cnuts.

I'm against regeneration, regardless of whther travellers beenfit or not. I'm also bigotted against travellers because they are cnuts.

At least you're honest about it and it's your call.

The problem with not having the regeneration is the estates will get worse and the criminals coming from them will get worse. We'd all love a situation where that wasn't so but we have the problem now and we have to fix it.

It's always worth remembering that these problems are fixable, Limerick is a small city and the estates make up only a small part of the city, and the problem tenants make up only a small part of the demographic of the estates. I guess it seems like a lot of money, but it's a drop in the ocean compared to what Fianna Fail have given the banks etc.

I agree with Bertie though, it's very expensive for what they are getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Banned - One Week and infraction also

And when it is finally built,it will be destroyed within months,why do people like the Mcarthys,Kelly's and the Dundons,and other crime /traveller families,get all these handouts,is it to keep builders,corrupt county councillors! and people like willy o dea, and other assosciates in their jobs?

Have they any common sense?These people will end up in jail commit a string of crimes,the politicians are in fact enabling crime and drugs to appear more easily on our streets,these people are not interested in being a normal citizen,i have spoken to a woman i know well who lives in these estates she is working class and recently unemployed the noise and **** she has to put up with is unreal!We will have to end up spending more money on these people,and it is just not cost effective if they can't get it now,they never will..We should cut our losses they are a grevious cost to our state economy and do nothing but drag it into the gutter..

There are people in ireland who need the help of our government who are trying and they need our help,not these ****ing pikey uk trash travellers...

They live off welfare,beat and rape their kids,they often end up in state care,the da is always being arrested or down the pub,why bother supporting this trash?

There are two travellers working in the county council,is that why they get their rubbish collected for free????

Why are our government so stupid giving these pyschotic scumbags more handouts?while or middle classes and working classes are struggling?
    http://www.indymedia.ie/article/66108

Again, not all travellers are scumbags and not everyone living in the regeneration areas are travellers.

I'm not apologist for the travellers, Pavee Point would be better off getting it's own people in line rather than complaining about how everyone hates travellers etc, but not all travellers can be equated in with the Dundon/McCarthy level of scumbag.

It would be interesting to see the demographics of the various estates and see how many residents there are from the travelling community and how many have no links to the travelling community. Course, expecting facts on a bigoted rant is foolishness on my part moreso than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

I think everyone knows who these travellers are (only so many in Southill) and what misery they have inflicted on Limerick. Why should there behavour be rewarded? On the price of the contract, the builders will have to find employees to go into that site, I know I wouldn't for any amount of money.

Also some of prices seem high for what they are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

CiaranMT wrote: »

Does it however preclude you from providing for yourself like everyone else who has to?

Pikasso wrote: »

Generalisations like this don't help anything. How can you imply that everyone living in these areas are 'behaving like scum'?
    Spudmonkey wrote: »
    Does it however preclude you from providing for yourself like everyone else who has to?

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Travellers Travellers Travellers

Lets get it out of our systems.

The IMF are not going to stand for this kind of spend EVER. Mayor Nepotism or whatever her name is will be able to do nothing about it.

That blasted family running the board of it will not be able to continue to wield their self righteous axe. Their son will not be able to complete his UL studies(drinking games).

People already moved out will not be left permanently out and the government will end up in the Schools Prefab situation all over again.

"They want to put people back in houses but cannot afford to rather like they want to put people back into Moyross or Southill, or St Marys park but cannot afford to".

My friend who lives in Moyross got the knock at the door and they said "listen we cannot afford to build you a new house so we are just going to do yours up".

HANDY FVCKING STUFF!!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

hogwort wrote: »
    They will be continuing onto the next phase and they won't be cutting it either you can check that one out for yourself

Continuing to the next phase of what?, when will the residents of Moyross, Southill, St. Mary's Park,etc., with their professional begging bowl fund raisers, funded at our expense, recognise that the game is up, we have no money, we are broke, skint, there is no money left to pander to you.

We the taxpayer don't owe you squat, you choose to live where you live, tough ****, don't come looking to me for a handout, I don't coming looking to you for a handout. The state funded your house, which cost more to build than mine did, which is also older than yours, difference being, I paid a mortgage for 25 years and I now own it, I also subsidised yours, so would you do me a favour and kindly **** off and leave me and mine alone.

Moyross, Southill, St. Mary's Park, Ballynanty and Our Lady of Lourdes have been scamming the taxpayer for the last 30 years, what about, Garryowen, Janesboro, Rathbane, Kennedy Park? where is the regeneration there? never mind Ballinacurra, Raheen, Castletroy, Clareview, Caherdavin, Woodview etc. cause they can clearly **** off, they don't count, they just get the privilege of paying for your regeneration.

Don't believe me?. have a look here http://moyross.ie/Groupservices.html, you think they funded these themselves?, in a pigs eye, you did, now do a Google for Ballinacurra, Raheen, Castletroy, Clareview, Caherdavin, Woodview etc. and see if you can see anything resembling these facilities/services available in any of these area's, trust me you won't, have a look on Google Earth and see who has the most green area, Clareview, Woodview or Moyross.

To the residents of Limerick City, outside of these area's, wake up and smell the coffee, because, while you allow them, the residents of these area's will keep their hands in your pocket funding them, cause "they're entitled".

I won't even get started on the "Travellers, Pavee's, Indiginous Ethnic Minority", or whatever they are calling themselves today, for they contribute nothing whatsoever to society, except the bill, if that comment makes me racist, so be it, I could'nt give a ****, I am a realist.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

jbkenn, my sentiments entirely, also how come some mods here jump at any one who mentions the p word, just look at the galvone industrial estate, who closed that, not the workers, not the employers,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Flutered, if you have a question to ask a moderator you should send them a PM about it. To answer your question, derogatory slurs against people of other ethnicities are not welcome on this forum. That applies to much more than just Travellers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

pm a mod, no thanks, ide prefer to get hammered in public, than be jackbooted in private.

Advertisement