Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,576 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I worked in hospitality for a long time in this city and we get all of the above.

We're no Galway who have the diddly eye shte down to a tee and we can't compete with the much bigger Cork but Kilkenny has nothing but a few stag do's.

You might notice it more in the little backwater towns and villages because it's all they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

"One example is Colbert Station in Limerick, where about 50 hectares of state land is shared by the HSE, Irish Rail and the local authority. We are stitching these plots together to form a much larger, more cohesive master plan development. We’ve released a master plan for Colbert, and we will prepare the first planning applications later this year, which brings a sense of reality to these major projects." John Coleman CEO of LDA said this a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

My point still stands. Anyway my initial opinion was ways to improve Cruises Street and Limerick city centre.

I've been around a long time and have never heard of anyone having a stag or hen in Limerick or going there for a trip besides to see Munster play.

Stags and Hens aren't the be-all and end-all but they're good for atmosphere and spending money. Lahinch even does well out of them.

Any tourists I've spoken only pass through there on the way to somewhere elsewhere.

There's no reason it can't be a destination spot like other places.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Christ almighty. Your point does not stand. It is a destination outside of rugby. You've been given examples of it. Just because YOU haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Limerick had the highest hotel occupancy rates in the country in 2022.

And why on earth do you keep reposting the same quote from the CEO of the LDA? It doesn't disprove anything I've said. There is no design, planning permission or funding for these projects. They are not being held up the construction industry issues.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

So are there are any businesses opening or are posters just focused on being armchair planners?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

You clearly have no knowledge of the city or at the very least don't spend much time there if you believe it doesn't get significant numbers of national and international visitors. If you were in the city centre any weekend over the course of the year it would be obvious to you that visitors from all over the country are knocking around.

International tourists are more prevalent during the summer naturally but again they are highly visible around town. The city gets far more tourists than many would expect (see attached Failte Ireland chart) but there's obviously much scope for increasing those numbers. Lets face it the vast majority of international tourists are just passing through every destination here on their way to somewhere else as the offering in Ireland isn't exactly world class. Our cities in particular are appallingly managed and presented in comparison to their European counterparts.

Also, I've heard many hoteliers and hospitality professionals state that the city has a hotel room defecit with extensions or new build hotels required to cater for visitor numbers. So clearly the demand is there contrary to your opinion.

It's 14th on domestic visitors, just ahead of tourist meccas Sligo and Carlow! So my instincts are correct.

Our 3rd biggest city shouldn't be so low.

I think the overseas visitors numbers are skewed by proximity to Shannon Airport and people passing through between Galway, Clare, Kerry, Cork, Wild Atlantic Way.

I'd like to know how many nights they stay in Limerick City.

"Overseas visitors and associated revenue data, meanwhile, is derived from Fáilte Ireland's Survey of Overseas Travellers (SOT), which conducted 10,000 interviews with departing overseas tourists at major air and sea ports last year."

Not exactly scientific.

Post edited by orangerhyme on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

You might want to stop at this point.

Limerick gets its share of stags, domestic and international visitors. It's not going to get as many as Galway but so what, plenty of industry opening, expanding and creating jobs and buying the economy.

Your plan to rebuild Dolan's in the middle of cruises street is not the answer. It's a rubbish idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭YTM

Just need to stand around Kings Island and you'll see the international tourists walking about. Even now there was a dutch family in Stix getting food when I was there a few days ago.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod note: threads has gone way off.

Please return it to the original thread title.

Take your discussion to another thread if you wish. TIA

Ice-skating and the Christmas market have announced they will be opening on the 24th.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Jose Maria

https://aceslimerick.ie/ Aces Bistro/Cocktail lounge opened in Castletroy, looks good from the outside anyways, its above delish where the Chinese used to be

Love a tapas menu.

If their chef is half as sharp as the media team it should be a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

Sorry, but this popped into my head immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭djdunny

Sodalicious opened their 2nd cafe at the Travel Lodge on the Dublin Road. Ate there this morning and it was very nice.

What is the perception of TD Brian Leddin at a local level?

Does he have a chance of retaining his seat in next election?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Gooser14

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Got my hopes up when I saw the notification that a new business (that's not a vape shop or phone shop) was opening. But alas!

• Advertisement

The Flying Cheese have opened their new stall in the Milk Market.

They haven't as assumed moved across the aisle but have opened a second shop that is very similar to what used be there (can't remember the name) and are doing sandwiches and the same type of non cheese related stuff that that unit used do.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,271 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Probably been mentioned here already Krispy Kreme is opening the 25th January.

JD Sports also taking over extra units in The Crescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭pigtown

Verizon - the US communications company - are creating 400 jobs in 1BQ. I'm not sure if they're taking the entire building or not.

Great result for the development. And for the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

1BQ is 18,000sqm and Verizon is to take 10,000sqm. Not sure if that is all of the office space (some is residential/retail) but I imagine it’s a big chunk of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I had a look back at the planning app and the office floor space is listed at 7600 sqm. Add the two basement floors and it looks like they may be taking the whole office building.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Strettie11

Great news . Really calls into question what Limerick2030 are at with Gardens International

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭geotrig

had taken notice of the building briefly this weekend and while not anywhere finished its really looks well and sits nicely in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The main nine storey block is stated to contain 7,600 square metres of office space. Presumably this also includes the five storey infill on Henry Street which links through to the main river fronting block.

The former Bishop's Palace townhouse is to provide a further 1,322 square metres of office space.

This is very positive news for the development anyhow. By comparison Limerick Council/Limerick 2030 must be fuming at the dog's dinner they made of securing a tenant(s) for Gardens International across the street.

Hopefully we'll see the hospitality space in 1BQ being snapped up once it's closer to completion also.

Ide say it will look great when full of activity on dark evenings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Dreams beds are hoping to open in the Parkway Retail Park. Planning application to add mezzanine floor for extra floorspace.

Advertisement