Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Leonita

Has another euro type shop just opened opposite Debenhams? I noticed it sitting in traffic but didn't have time to go back to suss it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

Think that's the tanning place now also selling household supplies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Thanks a lot adaminho, looking forward to trying them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

I see Rossi's restaurant down by the Locke are taking over the food side of the Hiway both bar and restaurant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

• Registered Users Posts: 24,951 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Can't wait. I always loved that location and also Katsu curry

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

The windmill bar is open again. Just walked past and the door is open and a sign outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

There were plans to convert that to a cafe I think after it closed last time? Is it back open as a pub now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Looked pub like when I went past, sandwich board outside which I think was advertising live football.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It was to be subdivided into separate bar and cafe units.

The Windmill is definitely open as a pub. At least part of the old building is

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Gary Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭pigtown

Wickham Way at the top of Thomas street seems to be gearing up to host a regular indoor market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭maebee

Lidl Corbally is opening tomorrow. There's a café alongside it, called 1930. It looks very nice, with a 60's style furniture. I was chatting to the owner this evening, a very nice lad in his mid 30's and I wished him the best of luck with his new venture. The Lidl and the café are a welcome addition to the area. I'd say they will do very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I’m sure the young lad will be fine seeing as he already owns about 8 cafes (hook and ladder) around Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've seen the hook and ladder posts on LinkedIn so it is definitely theirs. But the name, like their Ampersand, doesn't always have to follow their traditional naming conventions I guess. I would also wonder is it because they've already one nearby by the same name.

From the road it looked like the cafe was a kiosk in the store but the images I've seen are for a standalone entrance which looks very nice.

Cafe is open at 7am, Lidl opens at 8am. I'm sure it will be busy and even if it's not Corbally at all but arguably will serve Corbally as well as beyond.

Its Knockballynameath which is a bit of a mouthful for Lidl to advertise on a bus stop with.

Passed earlier around 7:45am and ribbon was up with pictures being taken. I'm sure I saw possibly some Athletes there with medals around their necks at the ribbon and when I passed again after 8am it was truly in full swing, a near full car park, a lad in a LIDL brand masket costume on the footpath with a sign advertising it as well. Already a car charging up on the ESB charging point. I'm sure the Leader or similar will be having some paid advertising up about it.

I even saw an LED advertising truck on the Dublin road advertising it as well.

I'm sure it will do well, both the cafe and store, the hours for the store are extensive opening hours till 10pm and 9pm on a Sunday which albeit Tesco Express has similar hours but far less choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭geotrig

have to say it looks well and brightens up the dreary place in general , I think both*(tesco express) can survive and do well the only thing I'm hoping is traffic flows well.

• Advertisement

Hmmm on traffic, yes they have ammended the junction by adding like a traffic hump and a yellow box but they have either filled this over on top of the road sensors or changed the light timings because it is providing way too much time for traffic leaving that side even when there is no traffic leaving which in the recent evenings around 4:30pm - 5:30pm has seen traffic back as far as Circle K and I mean bumper the bumper the entire stretch. Could be people are avoiding the Long pavement which is a disaster area for delays as well because of works.

When you're leaving the car park(s) then yes the longer green light time you get is helpful but it does have a knock on effect to the main road but time will tell when the country/world gets truly back to full operation. Getting out of Westbury used to be an issue and that was widened and the timings changed already but changed again for Lidl. When the schools return the traffic at peak around 8am will be a telling bit. Example, if you're coming in from the Larkins cross side to those lights and the bumper to bumper school traffic is there, you might have a green light but cannot proceed because of traffic so the lights go green for the Tesco/Lidl side and they take up space(albeit very few cars if any) and then the lights give way for those leaving Westbury who then fill up those spots and when the lights go green again for the main road you still cannot proceed on many occassions.

Before the new changing of the lights for Lidl some mornings I've sat there with 2-3 red/green lights before being able to cross the junction and who knows what it might be like in September when all the schools go back.

Not to detract of course from Lidl and the 1930 Cafe which is great so see. Development and improvement always brings change, bugs can be fixed with the lights hopefully by the Shannon office of the council who look after the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭geotrig

yeah noticed the issues between larkins and westbury junction my self and had put some of it down to the remaining bit of works on the road etc and people avoiding long pavement which is a bloody disaster as you say ! will be interesting to see anyway as time progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭BobMc

Whole area is going to be a disaster when schools go back !

From what I can see the 301 is only every 30mins. Given that new roads are a long drawn out process the only short term hope is to try help less people require cars to get around

Edit: Apologies I just realized this is the business opening thread not the Limerick improvement thread. Sorry if traffic management went a bit off topic

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Leonita

Would do well out by the university I would reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shanmo

Wickham Way indoor market opening this weekend. Think it's great idea and hope it's a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Just reading in today's Irish Times about how former Debenhams stores have been taken over by new retailers in Cork(Frasers), Tralee(The Range), Newbridge(Frasers) and Tallaght(Penneys).

Interestingly, it says a deal has been agreed to acquire the Limerick store for €9million but doesn't mention which retailer. I wonder would Penneys consider expanding into it as its adjacent? Their city centre store isn't that huge compared to the newer Penneys that are opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭adaminho

It was announced that it was acquired for non retail use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

I cant imagine the former Debenhams shop being used for another big retailer, the low ceilings and awkward floor areas are not ideal for modern retail in my opinion, am i correct in saying it was built in the early 60's and hasnt any particular architectural merit?

Advertisement