Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chat in You laugh, you Lose

Options
  • 16-11-2010 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭

OK so a thread to discuss what to do with You laugh, You Lose

Personally I would rather keep some chat as it can be funny or informative, however a lot of it is bitching, sniping and all round unnecessary in the thread and this pisses a lot of people off

Currently I have been deleting and snip-ing as I have come across it (hehe) or it has been reported and I am happy to continue to do it (though if people could just read and stick to the rules I wouldn't have too) however it leads to inconsistancy where some chat is left up and other deleted at my discretion and that annoys people too

So do we leave it as is, do we burn the infidels who disobey the rules or do we ban chat or do we just let people post what they want

Select your preferred option from the poll and discuss

Chat in You laugh, You Lose 188 votes

Keep doing what you are doing
    0%
    Ban chat, Pics only
    53%
    PandaZascartony 2 toneSpearGoodshapeCreatureFunkfieldinforfunbringitdownA-Trakyom 1Lia_liaInterceptorEoinenda1StupidLikeAFoxZombienoshJumpyMc Loveroryc 101 votes
    Let people post what they like and Mod the thread less
    41%
    TouchingVirusRiamfada445279.ieSoupyNormanBogqzAnaiyelayoucancallmealEdgarAllenPooRebelButtMunchjohnpParsleyaFlabbyPandaOblomovKamiKaziOutlawPetebluto63cute_cow[Deleted User]mmalaka 78 votes
    Burn the Infidels
    4%
    GhostInTheRuinsThe guyHogzy1mcampo1spdmrphyHealiumIan_KGrindylowd.anthony 9 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

no harm in a bit of a common sense rule imo, if people start carrying out 2-3 page discussions or arguments then yeah snip the balls off that but a small number of posts here and there doesn't bother me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Ban chat, Pics only
    Would like to see a bit of chat remaining.
    I would be lost otherwise with some of the funnies i just don't get.
    Now i just wait till someone else doesnt get it and... asks.

But the thread could do without the "posted already" crap.

In short.. keep it like it is now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I voted for no chat. I think the Thanks button speaks volumes on that thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

The only banter should be in the form of funny pictures and thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Ban chat, Pics only
    chat can be useful sometimes for explaining certain jokes (the recent http:// pic for example). But I would agree that it does get out of hand, that certainly needs to stop. The thanks button is enough to suffice for showing you like the post, there's no need for a seperate post indicating how much you soiled yourself laughing at a picture of Philosoraptor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

In my opinion (Admin hat off)

Only chat allowed should be:
    'I don't get it'

followed by:
    'Explanation of pic'

What should definitely not be allowed:
    Moans about how a meme/picture isn't funny (humor is subjective)
    Moans about reposts
    General chat

EDIT: I can see how much snipping the mods have to do on that thread and can only say fair play to The Recliner (in particular) but all the mods who work on the thread to keep it cleaned up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

burn the infidels! i just like the sound of that...

i think it is close to perfect, the moaners need to just stum imo. if it's funny/pleasant banter, it doesn't bother me. if it's giving out about reposts/overdone meme's it shouldn't pass.

though i do like the new forever a moan comeback :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Ban chat, Pics only
    Chat: yes. Bitching and moaning about the quality of pics: no. Basically keep up the good work, Recliner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I say no no no to any chat.

I think any 'I dont get it' followed by explanation detracts for the overall lolness.

In actual fact the 'I dont get it' people can be great source of entertainment themselves .

Also, I get annoyed by reposts but I think the lack of thanks they receive are much more effective then a "this has been posted already" comment.

Like the Picture battle thread, YLYL should be chat free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Interestingly despite most of the discussion on thead being mainly positive to keeping it much as it is banning chat is ahead in the poll

I would be interested to hear from people who want chat banned as to what exactly makes them unhappy currently or do they see the current way as being unworkable

even more interestingly I have no idea what the hell I am going to do if Burn the Infidels wins :confused:

• Advertisement

I say no no no to any chat.

I think any 'I dont get it' followed by explanation detracts for the overall lolness.

In actual fact the 'I dont get it' people can be great source of entertainment themselves .

But banning chat would mean you wouldn't get the "I don't get it" posts so no extra lolness?

Actually - not chat but somewhat related:

Can we have a seperate thread for all those "Forever Alone", "Angry face", "FUUU" pictures? Just to get them the 'eck out of what used to be a funny thread?

As for chat - it should be OK to comment on a picture or - using the case of the HHTP image, explain what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

But banning chat would mean you wouldn't get the "I don't get it" posts so no extra lolness?

That extra lolness is rare, too rare to allow chat. It's mostly a nuisance and detracts from the lolness as I stated.

Overall the thread is great, I'm not going to get annoyed over chat being allowed/disallowed. Ive just flung in my two cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

even more interestingly I have no idea what the hell I am going to do if Burn the Infidels wins :confused:

Burn 'em!

I say yes for Chat, some posts are as funny as the pictures themselves.

No for moaning about reposts and memes and all that crap. In BIG BOLD LETTERS state the ban hammer will be a-swinging if they don't abide by these rules.

That'll teach the lil' punks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Ban chat, Pics only
    I don't mind a bit of chat in that thread, except for stupid comments like "OH STOP POSTING THAT IT'S NOT FUNNY!" *whinge whinge*

A bit of chat is fine, but arguments or just posts to complain can get really annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I would be interested to hear from people who want chat banned as to what exactly makes them unhappy currently or do they see the current way as being unworkable

While I use the thread and look at it fairly frequently, I'm not 100% up on how it's run and haven't had time to notice any particular trends in relation to warning, mod edits etc. so bear with me.

What I like about the no chat aspect is that it very simply makes for easy viewing. It requires no reading, thought or following along- I can simply click on any random page of the thread and *bang* instant LOLZ without having to click back to see what bits of the conversation I missed.

There are so many categories and fora on Boards.ie that pretty much anything can be discuss. I like You Laugh, You Lose thread most for its lack of chat- nothing gets derailed, there isn't the constant flirting you'll find in AH etc.

I also think that free reign to chat with lead to a lot of "+1" type comments instead of use of the thanks button. While I don't post there at all frequently I love use of thanks in the thread simply because it means that a pretty funny pictures ends up being post of the day and it makes me smile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

r3nu4l wrote: »
    In my opinion (Admin hat off)

Only chat allowed should be:
    'I don't get it'

followed by:
    'Explanation of pic'

What should definitely not be allowed:
    Moans about how a meme/picture isn't funny (humor is subjective)
    Moans about reposts
    General chat

EDIT: I can see how much snipping the mods have to do on that thread and can only say fair play to The Recliner (in particular) but all the mods who work on the thread to keep it cleaned up.

I like this idea, or how about a seperate explanations thread?

Duggy747 wrote: »
    In BIG BOLD LETTERS state the ban hammer will be a-swinging if they don't abide by these rules.

That'll teach the lil' punks!

To be honest I really don't want to have to infract or ban anyone from this forum unless there is a blatant breach of site guidelines

I do enough of that and get enough crap for it elsewhere, this forum is supposed a bit of fun for everyone (Mods included) so I would be loathe to come down heavy handed on someone who was just a bit over enthusiastic to join in

Personally I just feel people need to lighten up a little and not feel the need to post "The was crap" "That's not funny" etc, if you don't like it keep scrolling, it isn't that difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Ban chat, Pics only
    I think chat should be allowed within reason. If someone wants to complain about a previous post or something that didn't rise to their level of comedy then they should post a funny or two.

It is difficult to understand some pictures so for that reason chat is useful. Also, every now and again a picture isn't funny until someone points something out in chat that changes it.

Most of this has already been said, I'm just giving my two cents to get some thanks from The Recliner ;)

longshanks wrote: »
    I like this idea, or how about a seperate explanations thread?

I don't think there should be a seperate explanations thread. A picture should be explained completely in one post. Anything more is unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Can we have a seperate thread for all those "Forever Alone", "Angry face", "FUUU" pictures? Just to get them the 'eck out of what used to be a funny thread?

I disagree. As r3nu4l said, humour is subjective - if we ban one meme, how long until it's decided that another meme isn't funny? Trying to place standards on what is funny and what isn't is a bad road to go down IMO.

As for chat - I'm going with ban bitching only. I think the thread would lose something if all chat was banned - not only explanations, which don't come up that often, but some off the cuff remarks are hilarious (see here and here).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I'd prefer if people could post some funny responses and I'd be in favour of limiting it to that but I imagine it would be an awful lot of work for the mods to have to sort through the comments and pick which are suitable and which aren't.

IMO, it'd just be a lot easier for the mods to have a blanket ban on all comments in the thread, just leave it to pics.

I disagree. As r3nu4l said, humour is subjective - if we ban one meme, how long until it's decided that another meme isn't funny? Trying to place standards on what is funny and what isn't is a bad road to go down IMO.

As for chat - I'm going with ban bitching only. I think the thread would lose something if all chat was banned - not only explanations, which don't come up that often, but some off the cuff remarks are hilarious (see here and here).

We won't necessarily ban them as such, but it has caused a good bit of annoyance to people. If you create a seperate thread for them to be put in, then those who actually find them funny can post them to their hearts content.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Ban chat, Pics only
    I say keep the chat.

The only thing that annoys me is when people post things like "that isn't funny" or bitch about how the thread isn't funny anymore - it doesn't contribute anything to the thread!

Fair play to the mods, especially the recliner, you are doing a great job!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

If you create a seperate thread for them to be put in, then those who actually find them funny can post them to their hearts content.
    Tbh, if you start having separate threads for one meme, there'll be ones for others and so on and so on. If there's separate threads, I know I'll start skipping some and I'd probably miss out on some stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

Ban chat, Pics only
    Chat shouldn't be banned. Some of the funniest posts in there are chat responses and the thread would be a lot worse off if chat was banned imho.

Tbh, if you start having separate threads for one meme, there'll be ones for others and so on and so on. If there's separate threads, I know I'll start skipping some and I'd probably miss out on some stuff.

For all memes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Ban chat, Pics only
    Chat: yes. Bitching and moaning about the quality of pics: no. Basically keep up the good work, Recliner.

This.

Some of the comments can be quite funny.
    All of the moaning is not so funny.

I would like to see a separate thread for meme's though. Many of us only find them funny for the first day or two. Seeing 1000 variations on the same joke for 6 months is enough to make me press the logout button.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Ban chat, Pics only
    Keep doing that thing you do so well.

Cut the boll0cks off anyone who reposts a pic within five pages of it originally being posted - that really boils my píss.

'cptr

• Advertisement

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Most of this has already been said, I'm just giving my two cents to get some thanks from The Recliner ;)

I can only thank your post once my dear, if I could I would thank you all night long :p
    I'd prefer if people could post some funny responses and I'd be in favour of limiting it to that but I imagine it would be an awful lot of work for the mods to have to sort through the comments and pick which are suitable and which aren't.

IMO, it'd just be a lot easier for the mods to have a blanket ban on all comments in the thread, just leave it to pics.

It would make life a lot easier, there is a lot of posts deleted, snipped and moved in that thread and it is a fair bit of work but even though it would be easier I would be against it as I think it would take away from the thread
    For all memes.
    I would like to see a separate thread for meme's though. Many of us only find them funny for the first day or two. Seeing 1000 variations on the same joke for 6 months is enough to make me press the logout button.

Without sounding lazy I think that would increase the workload, we already have a Gif's and Youtube thread and people still post them in YLYL, if we have a seperate thread for Memes then I think it would require more moving and if posted in the wrong thread probably piss people off more

That and to be totally honest I have no idea how you enforce it, how do we define what is a Meme and when does it become one, if something is posted before it becomes a Meme and do we move it later etc

I am not saying that I am dismissing the idea I just think it needs more clarification and more thought before it could be adapted

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement