Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future predictions

Options
  • 14-11-2010 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

What are your predictions in the following areas for 20 years from now:

General Technology:
    Medicine:
    Irish Politics:
    European Union:
    Number of countries invaded by the US:
    Level of terrorism and its effects:

Here's my predictions:

General Technology: Quantum based processors, 1000's of times faster than current CPU's. Direct 2-way communication between computers and the human brain.
    Medicine: Nano scale bots which can perform specific tasks like targeting/killing tumours etc. Organs can be grown in labs.
    Irish Politics: Still a coalition government, with the same political parties making the same poor decisions.
    European Union: Far more control over member states, standardised taxes etc
    Number of new countries the US will have been at war with: 2 (based on historical data)
    Level of terrorism and its effects: Massive disruption to civilians due to security measures brought in be governments to protect them. Large loss of civil rights & liberties. Far more invasive monitoring of individuals. Terrorists will have succeeded, even though their initial goals will not have been met.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Greater number of Jelly Babies due to rampant sex orgies between them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

is there a reason why i can't put an image into messages on AH ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I predict a riot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

CoalBucket wrote: »
    Yes. Its disallowed.
    You can post a link to one however.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

I don't think it will be America's wars that concern us in 20 years time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Nerdy answers....

General Technology:
    See Stark Trek
    Medicine: See Stark Trek
    Irish Politics: 300 years from now there will only be one Irish person remaining named Chief O'Brien
    European Union: EU incorporated into the United Federation of planets as part of Earth
    Number of countries invaded by the US: US incorporated into the United Federation of planets as part of Earth
    Level of terrorism and its effects: Klingons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Hovver-boards for some, online abortions for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

General Technology: Robohookers.
    Medicine: 1000% increase of Robohooker related injuries.
    Irish Politics: Minsters try to put Robohooker expenses down as "IT expansion programme".
    European Union: EU moves to give full rights to Robohookers – allowing them to sue their manufacturers.
    Level of terrorism and its effects: Robohooker suicide bombers now a terrifying reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'll predict that the pedants will be around soon to complain about the thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The world will not end. Religion will gradually lose its place in society.

MEGA-DINOSAURS WILL COME

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I'll predict that the pedants will be around soon to complain about the thread title.

Yes, I prefer past predictions, but unfortunately there's not much money in that game.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Fart

CoalBucket wrote: »

In 20 years you'll be able to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

X-factor will be the only thing on tv.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Salaries will be taxed at 101% by 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Maybe it's just me, but the state of the country and humanity in general reminds me of the film 'Southland Tales'. It's almost as if we're standing at the edge of oblivion, at the edge of nothingness. Although this may be just me.

/deep.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

We'll all have a birthday every year until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 elephantum

General Technology: Quantum based processors, 1000's of times faster than current CPU's. Direct 2-way communication between computers and the human brain.

I bet neither of these would happen. Too complicated. Quantum computing isn't even born yet.

Direct brain-computer communication is possible now, but almost no one will bother, because it requires too much effort from the person's side. So in terms of popularity it will be inexistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Maybe it's just me, but the state of the country and humanity in general reminds me of the film 'Southland Tales'. It's almost as if we're standing at the edge of oblivion, at the edge of nothingness. Although this may be just me.

/deep.

Your post reminds me of another movie,
    "Misery"
    .:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

My Future Predictions
    Robbie Williams will come out of the closet
    Ashley Cole will come out of the closet
    A box of fags will soon be €10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭marglin

tech: better faster computers with simply awesome internet applications, like we do now about the 80's we'll have a grand old laugh about how sh.it all the things we're using now are

medicine: huge concentration of research on how to make life more bearable for old people seeing as there will simply be alot more of them

irish politics: could be doing quite well, saying things like' god do you remember the 10's' money slushing around the place and anybody who says it looks a little unstable being shut down immediately

eu: moving very slowly, esoteric treaty after esoteric treaty until only the most qualified and expert of lawyers will have even the faintest idea of whether its a group of nations, one nation, a cyborg kinda thing, part country-part robot

america: il guess another small 2 or 3, wouldnt worry so much about it until china starts saying wtf we want a go

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

MJ23 wrote: »
    My Future Predictions
    Robbie Williams will come out of the closet
    Ashley Cole will come out of the closet
    A box of fags will soon be €10

That's a lot of expensive fags.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Your post reminds me of another movie,
    "Misery"
    .:(

Except my previous post on this thread had nothing to do with a crazed psychopath who forces an author to rewrite his latest book on pain of torture and death. Oh, hold on, are you implying that I should edit my post on pain of death and torture. Oh dear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

The singularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

General Technology: Mobile phones becoming more complicated/powerful/self-aware
    Medicine: dunno, but don't think we're gonna see nanotechnology any time soon
    Irish Politics: same old ****e
    European Union: dunno
    Number of countries invaded by the US: if Sarah Palin gets in power? all of then
    Level of terrorism and its effects: dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

My prediction is that there will be another world war and use of chemical weapons will almost destroy the world!But a handfull of people survive and get the world back in order. When Ireland seeks to rebuild itself the borrowing rate off investors will be 73%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Links234 wrote: »
    General Technology: Mobile phones becoming more complicated/powerful/self-aware

Like Sky-Net?? Cool killer terminators :D

General Technology: Pretty much the same as today I guess, except mobiles will the about the size of your thumbnail and scientists will be spouting that nuclear fusion energy and quantum computing will be prevalent in 50 years time.

Medicine: There still won't be a cure for cancer or the common cold.

Irish Politics: Fianna Fáil will be back in government for another 10 years after fooling the people, as usual. Which leads us to another assumption; Irish people have not changed in their mentality.

European Union: It will be stronger, i.e., independent member states have lost a majority of their sovereign status to Brussels. The transition from a confederacy of European States (much like the EU of today) to a federation (like the US) will be almost finished and the foreign policy of each individual state will be dictated by Brussels. Turkey, Iceland and all the former Yugoslavian state will, by this time, be recognised as full members of the EU. Major pressure will be but on Norway and Switzerland to join too so that the European superstate would be totally complete in all its glory and splendor, not seen in Europe since the rise of fascism in Germany and Italy during the 1920's and 1930's.

Number of countries invaded by the US: Iran and Yeman, and probably Syria. It will all be part of the US' grand plan to gain possession of as much oil as possible as the world's oil reserves decrease exponentially. There will be major competition between the US, the Grand European Federation, Russia and the Capitalist Republic of China for such oil reserves, international relations will be severely damaged and the prospects of another world war will be very likely.

Level of terrorism and its effects: Al-Qaeda will gain further support from across the Middle East and also many countries with a lot of oil reserves. The focus will not be so much on the spreading of Islam but on the prevention of the "Imperial Desires" of the United States and its Allies (who are now few and far between in the world at this stage) in the Middle East.
    Also a new terrorist organisation will emerge in Europe with a 'pan-nationalist' agenda claiming that their goal will be the dissolution of the EU and allowing each individual European state the right to govern itself. This organisation will probably gain massive support over a further 20 year period and the prospects of a 'civil war' in Europe (similar to the American civil war) will become more apparent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Number of countries invaded by the US: Iran and Yeman, and probably Syria. It will all be part of the US' grand plan to gain possession of as much oil as possible as the world's oil reserves decrease exponentially.

Yemen's oil is running out, and so is its water. They I can see why they might invade for strategic reasons, but there's slim oil pickings there.

Yemen's oil is running out, and so is its water. They I can see why they might invade for strategic reasons, but there's slim oil pickings there.

Obviously not for oil, they'll probably invade Yemen if it doesn't tackle such terrorist organisations as Al-Qaeda itself. Yes, it would be a very good strategic point if they wanted to invade Saudi Arabia.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Obviously not for oil, they'll probably invade Yemen if it doesn't tackle such terrorist organisations as Al-Qaeda itself. Yes, it would be a very good strategic point if they wanted to invade Saudi Arabia.

And the port of Aden is superbly positioned for all kinds of things.

I'm surprised they're not there already.

Advertisement